[SOLVED] Intel i7, but which one?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Recently built a PC for playing 4k movies.
It has an Intel i5 9500 in it, which should be powerful enough. No graphics card.

The 4k movies play but there is a slight "slowing" - almost like the PC is very slightly struggling to keep up.

So thinking about an i7 processor for a bit more oomph.

Which sort of processor should I be looking for if I want to play 10-bit HDR 4k films?

Solution
Playing 4k movies does not require a lot pf cpu processing power.
Upgrading to I7 is not going to change the integrated graphics capability.
First insure that you have ram operating in faster dual channel mode.
IGPU responds to ram speed.

Better yet, install a discrete graphics card. GT1030 cards are not expensive and are considerably stronger than integrated graphics.
Recently built a PC for playing 4k movies.
It has an Intel i5 9500 in it, which should be powerful enough. No graphics card.

The 4k movies play but there is a slight "slowing" - almost like the PC is very slightly struggling to keep up.

So thinking about an i7 processor for a bit more oomph.

Which sort of processor should I be looking for if I want to play 10-bit HDR 4k films?
That doesn't sound right, a i5 9500 should be more than capable of playing 4k movies. Is this UHD bluray?

What software are you using to watch the movies, almost sounds like it's not using the iGPU. Anyway as above, specs, details on software and a screenie of resource usage from Task Manager while playing movie will help.

Playing 4k movies does not require a lot pf cpu processing power.
Upgrading to I7 is not going to change the integrated graphics capability.
First insure that you have ram operating in faster dual channel mode.
IGPU responds to ram speed.

Better yet, install a discrete graphics card. GT1030 cards are not expensive and are considerably stronger than integrated graphics.

Solution

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks - sorry I am pretty new to CPUs with integrated graphics.
Most of the important bits of the system are in my sig but here's the extended stats (it may seem a little powerful or mis-matched but it's what it is now :LOL: )

CPU: i5 9500
Motherboard: MSI MPG z390m Gaming Edge
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400Mhz 8GB (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16)
SSD/HDD: SSD - Corsair MP510 Force (240GB) for the OS + Seagate 10TB IronWolf HDD (for the media) (although the hard drive is very noisy so it may get replaced with another brand)
GPU: None
PSU: An old CoolMaster one - 600W
Chassis: SilverStone LC17
OS: Windows 11 (not sure if it's officially supported but installed anwyay)
Monitor: Sony A8 TV

I got a little excited and installed the drivers and such from the CD that came with the motherboard. Only then found out most were likely to be out of date so installed the drivers from the MSI website. I haven't yet installed anything specific to the processor but it's on my list for after work today. Not sure what there may be to be honest but I'll run the Intel tool and see.

I also need to check the RAM position on the motherboard. The motherboard has a little "First" next to two positions, which is where I put it. The manual says something slightly different, but the PC reports it's in the B slot so I'll look at moving it to an A slot. System reports it doesn't use more than 4-5GB so I guess the 8GB will be enough?

I'm not opposed to getting a graphics card but I understood the i5 should be able to play 4k content fairly easily by itself. But if a dedicated graphics card will be LOADS better, then I'm happy to get one - even in these expensive times.

A little concerned about noise though as the PC is in the living room. The old iteration of this system was quiet but the new one (Noctua exhaust fans instead of stock case ones, Noctua aftermarket CPU fan instead of stock Intel), plus one hard drive not four - it's whisper quiet now, so would be a shame to spoil that (disregarding the super noisy Seagate drive!).

I was using MPC-BE. The old system was using MPC-HC (which I'll reinstall later and dump BE version) but all content will be streamed to the TV anyway (specs below)

Sony A8 (Android TV)
HDCP 2.3 (for HDMI™1/2/3/4)

Playback support: MPEG1:MPEG1/MPEG2PS, MPEG2/MPEG2TS(HDV,AVCHD):MPEG2,AVC/MP4(XAVC S):AVC, MPEG4,HEVC/AVI:Xvid,MotionJpeg/ASF(WMV):VC1/MOV:AVC,MPEG4,MotionJpeg/MKV:Xvid,AVC,MPEG4,VP8.HEVC/WEBM:VP8/3GPP:MPEG4,AVC/MP3/ASF(WMA)/LPCM/WAV/MP4AAC/FLAC/JPEG;WEBM:VP9/AC4/ogg/AAC/ARW(Screen nail only)

HDR: HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision

Video Signal Support: HDMI™ signal :4096x2160p(24,50,60Hz), 3840x2160p(24,25,30,50,60Hz), 1080p(30,50,60,100,120Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i(50,60Hz), 720p(30,50,60Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 480p

Sound Processing: Dolby™ Audio, Dolby™ Atmos, DTS

So I'd guess a pretty powerful TV?
It plays 4k content through a USB pretty well by itself but I need a server to front the software.
Tried playing some content on the PC itself, so found out the FPS seemed a little low. Maybe I'm just not used to 4k on a huge screen (although a few BBC documentaries have been stunning in 4k).

Cheers!

You won't need to install anything for the CPU itself but your best off having the latest GPU drivers from Intel. Optimal RAM configuration for two sticks is usually slots 2 and 4 (A2 and B2). What frame rate are the movies your trying to watch, are they 24FPS or 60FPS?

You will need to install the intel graphics driver to get any performance better than basic display.
There may also be an option in the intel graphics control panel or in the motherboard bios to adjust the amount of ram to be used for video processing.
With only 8gb, you can't go crazy but see if you can't allocate a bit more than the default.

You really do need to use a discrete graphics card.
The specs for your motherboard show a max hdmi 4k output at 24hz.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390m-gaming-edge-ac/Specification

A GT1030 would do it:

They sell for about $100.

Last edited:

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, 8GB ram, just one stick.

Double checked, it's in slot B2 so I guess that's okay? Didn't see anywhere to increase it for video though.

Can one stick be dual channel? Or best off getting another 8GB? Not sure whether that will improve the system responsiveness or 4k playing though?
Sorry, don't really know a huge amount about ram. I know many regard the standard as 16GB but I upgraded another PC to 16GB once and it made no visible appearance, so took it out and got a refund.

Downloaded MPC HC and found in the Video Settings, it had "Hardware Decoder" set to "DXVA2 (native)". There is an option for "Intel QuickSync" which I guess I should use?

Have installed the Intel Graphics Driver software from Intel website. Didn't do this before so may get some improvements there too.

Want to try a few other bits before heading down the graphics card route but I think it may be the way in the end.

EDIT: Seems MPC-HC has gone all strange and bunches up videos. Changing the Hardware Decoder didn't do anything. However, good old VLC plays the videos with less choppiness. This is a 4k file.

VLC:

MPC-HC

Last edited:
Yeah, 8GB ram, just one stick.

Double checked, it's in slot B2 so I guess that's okay? Didn't see anywhere to increase it for video though.

Can one stick be dual channel? Or best off getting another 8GB? Not sure whether that will improve the system responsiveness or 4k playing though?
Sorry, don't really know a huge amount about ram. I know many regard the standard as 16GB but I upgraded another PC to 16GB once and it made no visible appearance, so took it out and got a refund.

Downloaded MPC HC and found in the Video Settings, it had "Hardware Decoder" set to "DXVA2 (native)". There is an option for "Intel QuickSync" which I guess I should use?

Have installed the Intel Graphics Driver software from Intel website. Didn't do this before so may get some improvements there too.

Want to try a few other bits before heading down the graphics card route but I think it may be the way in the end.

EDIT: Seems MPC-HC has gone all strange and bunches up videos. Changing the Hardware Decoder didn't do anything. However, good old VLC plays the videos with less choppiness. This is a 4k file.

VLC:

MPC-HC
No a single stick cannot be dual channel. I've found single channel RAM severely hurt the performance of the iGPU (I tested with UHD 630), however that was with games. What difference it would make in a video context if any is unclear, I've never tried it. I'd still recommend 16GB as a matter of course these days though.

DXVA2 is probably your best option, if you have trouble then try QuickSync. I see why you asked about the i7, that's quite high CPU usage. What's the frame rate and bit rate of the 4k video?