aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3513

here's the article from anandtech explaining way better than tom's about intel's roadmap till 2010. hope this clears confusion that people seem to be having on the forum about what the hell is coming out from intel and with all the name changes, scrapping havendale for clarksdale/arrandale. etc. very good read! amd better think of something quick, intel looks like it's bringing out the big guns w/this announcement.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Does this mean that to get a quad core CPU we have to go with the expensive X58 chipset mobos and expensive DDR3 RAM? If we are on a budget, we would have to stay with the P45 mobos and a Q9550?

If so, this could actually help AMD gain market share over the next year.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Before Intel release 32nm - AMD should be releasing the 'Istanbul' 6 core CPU... OK AMD will still be at 45nm at that time - but will still have a very competitive product.

AMD should be ramping 32nm in 2010

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Im not going to be pissed off, and I spent a fair bit on my i7 set up. Only a twit (more money than sense) would want to upgrade their i7 that soon after buying one. Considering everything for an i7 build needs to be brand new, I would expect you can run that build for 2 years (at least) without feeling the need to upgrade.

How many people are gonna be pissed off they just got raped by Intel on a i7 system only to find out theres 32nm processors coming out in a couple months that wont even drop into their $300 mobo?
Intel should include anal lube with all their new platforms.

It's mainstream (2 channel DDR3) vs. high-end (tri-channel DDR3), so two different segments being targeted.

BTW, what is your opinion of AMD's shafting their super-expensive dual processor enthusiast mainboard QFX customers, who can't even upgrade to Barcelona after 2 years and counting, let alone Deneb or Shanghai?

Some more exciting (sorry, Thunderpants! :) ) news from Dailytech :

Intel is reporting at least a 22 percent performance increase clock for clock over their 45nm process, and there are still many steppings to go before they go to market. Westmere also has seven new instructions, designed for accelerating encryption and decryption algorithms. All Nahalem and Westmere based processors will use DDR3 exclusively.

I have seen a rumorblog posting about some Westmere enhancements that didn't make it in time for Nehalem as well, according to the bloggers "informed sources" which I take to mean Intel engineers :).

Yes, I've seen their new roadmaps showing 32nm CPUs out in Q3 of next year, instead of 2011 as in the previous roadmaps. Looks like the Abu Dhabi fab spinoff will let them accelerate the drive to the next node, which will be good for them. But I haven't seen many updates on Bulldozer lately, other than speculation that it could be Fusion (IGP core?).