Question Intel i9 108500k a little help please!

Apr 13, 2020
Hello everyone,

Let me start with the specs and what I have to work with.

Current system needing help with.
I9-10850K
64 GB DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
mobo Z490 Gigabyte Master
PSU Phanteks 850w
gpu 2080 super

Parts to be used for testing.
i7-10700k
i5-10600k
MSI z490
Thermaltake 850W

I was moving the system into a new case Phanteks 719 and when I went to start it up, only the fans would run for second then nothing. So I unplugged everything and for awhile when I plug in the power the motherboard wouldn't even start or power up. I was thinking motherboard issues, so I start a RMA with Gigabyte. But just now I went to start system and mobo came alive but gave me CPU error, so I swapped cpu and it gave me the same error and it will only turn on if I don't plug in the CPU power connection. When I do the mobo won't even turn on. Not a big deal as I have a few back up systems but for my own knowledge anyone have any idea if this is something fixable?

Thanks
T

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Assuming from your post with all the informations i would say that you know your way around PCs and because of that i'd recommend you to check every cable you plugged in (or not at some point lmao) because thats usually one of the most common problems with people that know what they are doing so it may be worth a shot. If you have another Mobo around try your CPU on that with all the other components, if you get positive results then your other mobo probably died in the process. you could try to flash the BIOS but idk how much that is gonna do.

Apr 13, 2020
Assuming from your post with all the informations i would say that you know your way around PCs and because of that i'd recommend you to check every cable you plugged in (or not at some point lmao) because thats usually one of the most common problems with people that know what they are doing so it may be worth a shot. If you have another Mobo around try your CPU on that with all the other components, if you get positive results then your other mobo probably died in the process. you could try to flash the BIOS but idk how much that is gonna do.
Yes I have a few mobo to test the cpu and I have the cpu is fine, my goal to not have to do a RMA for the mobo and also to see if it might be something I did.

Your links get me to google sign in; I can't see the photos.
If you are not careful to just drop the processor in cleanly you can easily bend a pin.
If you smoosh the chip around it is easy to do such damage.
Pin damage is considered as user damage and is not valid for an RMA.
I know, I did it once and it cost me $50 to send a motherboard to Gigabyte for repair.
Sometimes you can bend a pin back with a needle. It is worth a try.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
It doesn't look bend to me tbh. When you said it doesnt turn on when you plug in the CPU Power cable, (It sounds stupid ik ik but still) did you check if it was the right cable and if its plugged in properly? Could be that it caused some sort of shortage. If you did everything correctly i would just send the mainboard back for RMA and get a new one because usually they just give you a new one since finding out what the issue is would take "too" long for customersupport. PC stuff is always so <Mod Edit> up man smh. GL figuring it out brother

Last edited by a moderator:

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Apr 13, 2020
Hmm weird, like it doesnt beep, no error code nothing. Strange, (btw PSU fan spin very rarely). Do you have any other coolers at hand? something not water cooled, maybe thats an issue tho, i wouldnt count on it but worth a try imho. "maybe" mobos do shut off if they cant connect to a CPU cooler
Yes I have a fan cooler . I’ll go ahead and try it.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I have no idea man, what the actual <Mod Edit> is going on there.
I_See_This_as_an_Absolute_Win.jpg

No im kidding it could be a burned out VRM so its probably time to hit up RMA i guess

Last edited by a moderator:

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I'll get power to mobo , but no video and no beeps.. I think you're right about the vrm.
i dont really see anything else there tbh, because usually the VRM causes those types of errors.
Btw i bought a Hot random key on kinguin for 3$ and got Cyberpunk 2077 out of it, im sorry really out of place but i wanted to share my achivement here lmao

Apr 13, 2020
Your links get me to google sign in; I can't see the photos.
If you are not careful to just drop the processor in cleanly you can easily bend a pin.
If you smoosh the chip around it is easy to do such damage.
Pin damage is considered as user damage and is not valid for an RMA.
I know, I did it once and it cost me $50 to send a motherboard to Gigabyte for repair.
Sometimes you can bend a pin back with a needle. It is worth a try.
Can you take a look at this video and let me know what you think might be the problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e5JlWK1MZRd1Zh3Y1Ez6CbBd2uBa_ley/view?usp=sharing