Question Intel i9-10900K 3.70GHz underperforming ?

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016
Hey all,

I upgraded my RAM last week and since then I've been having FPS drops in video games, stuttering on Chrome and other programs, and general sluggishness from my PC. Chrome + docker were taking up a lot of memory which was why I upgraded.

I wasn't sure what part was causing the issue so I've tried a handful of things to fix the issue but none have worked.

I've tried:
Reseating the RAM
Resetting CMOS
Reinstalling Windows
Turning on X.M.P. (I'm not sure if it was turned on before I reset CMOS, turning this on caused my PC to not turn on)
Manually setting the voltage of my CPU to 1.2V (It's around ~.7 to .9 in all hardware monitoring, this caused my PC to not turn on and I had to reset CMOS to fix it)

Currently I only have the 2 new RAM sticks in the 1st and 3rd slots.

I'm not sure what else to try or what the issue could be. I read userbenchmark can be biased but it said that my CPU was performing under expectations and the rest of the parts were fine and everything else I've tried seems to point to the same issue.

Here is the benchmark from CPU-Z:
https://valid.x86.fr/jgmnht

Here is the RAM I upgraded to:
G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3600 Model F4-3600C18D-64GTRS

Here are the parts:
NZXT H510 EliteBlack
NZXT Kraken X63
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX
PNY GeForce RTX™ 3090 XLR8 Gaming Revel Epic-X 24G
Intel Core i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7GHz
NZXT C1000 Gold
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RGB 3600MHz2 X 16 GB
Intel 665p2.0 TB

Cinebenchmark results:
9NwXsTf.png

Last edited:

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
From looking at your motherboard manual then the RAM ideally should be in slots A2 and B2. Not sure if by slots 1 and 3 you mean you currently have the RAM in A1 an B1. Worth checking.

What BIOS revision are you currently on?

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016
From looking at your motherboard manual then the RAM ideally should be in slots A2 and B2. Not sure if by slots 1 and 3 you mean you currently have the RAM in A1 an B1. Worth checking.

What BIOS revision are you currently on?

Checked and I have RAM in slots A2 and B2.

Bios version is F4 and the ID was 8ACML006 if that matters.

@malsatori
Your CPU-Z benchmark shows a CPU that is having trouble getting up to its full rated speed.

Enable Intel Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS. Some computers running Windows 11 seem to have a problem running at full speed when Speed Shift is disabled. Windows 11 seems to assume that if it is running on an Intel 10th Gen CPU that Speed Shift must be enabled.

If that setting does not solve your problem, run ThrottleStop.

Run something simple like Cinebench and post some screenshots of ThrottleStop while the CPU is loaded and this test is running. I need to see the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR and TPL windows. Open the Limit Reasons window to check for any reasons for throttling lighting up red.

Edit - Here is how my similar 10850K runs in the CPU-Z test. Big difference.

https://valid.x86.fr/bplcks

I just had a closer look at your CPU-Z results. Your CPU is running at 100°C. It is thermal throttling. That is why it is running so slow. You also need to enable XMP in the BIOS so your memory can run at its full rated speed.

Last edited:
Is your radiator mounted at the front of the case? I'm assuming it is as it's impossible to mount it on the top of the h510.

Take the front tempered glass panel off the front of the case and see how much that improves your temperatures.

I have built a pc in the h510 and it's ok for mild builds but you have some pretty warm running compents in a case that can't keep up with the heat output.

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016
@malsatori
Your CPU-Z benchmark shows a CPU that is having trouble getting up to its full rated speed.

Enable Intel Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS. Some computers running Windows 11 seem to have a problem running at full speed when Speed Shift is disabled. Windows 11 seems to assume that if it is running on an Intel 10th Gen CPU that Speed Shift must be enabled.

If that setting does not solve your problem, run ThrottleStop.

Run something simple like Cinebench and post some screenshots of ThrottleStop while the CPU is loaded and this test is running. I need to see the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR and TPL windows. Open the Limit Reasons window to check for any reasons for throttling lighting up red.

Edit - Here is how my similar 10850K runs in the CPU-Z test. Big difference.

https://valid.x86.fr/bplcks

I just had a closer look at your CPU-Z results. Your CPU is running at 100°C. It is thermal throttling. That is why it is running so slow. You also need to enable XMP in the BIOS so your memory can run at its full rated speed.

Could this have something to do with the cooler on my CPU? Going to try what the other commenter suggested about removing the front glass on my case. Here are the images from the ThrottleStop. I already had Speed Shift enabled. I also updated the BIOS on my motherboard to the newest version.

aR8UKcF.png
wbwCKA2.png
2maX96T.png

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016
Is your radiator mounted at the front of the case? I'm assuming it is as it's impossible to mount it on the top of the h510.

Take the front tempered glass panel off the front of the case and see how much that improves your temperatures.

I have built a pc in the h510 and it's ok for mild builds but you have some pretty warm running compents in a case that can't keep up with the heat output.

Yes it's on the front of the case. I'll try taking off the front glass and see if that helps.

@malsatori

TadaQmz.png

It appears that your cooler has failed. Your CPU is reaching 100°C and slowing down to a crawl when power consumption is only 17.8W. When you replaced the memory are you sure that you plugged the pump back in? Something is definitely wrong.

Here is an old screenshot of some Cinebench testing I did at 4900 MHz. That is the default speed for your CPU when all 10 cores are active.

181.2W of power consumption and my CPU cooler is keeping the CPU at only 65°C when fully loaded.

zJuSAPA.png

Here is the Corsair cooler that I am using. Very happy with the results but I would probably go with the 115i model if I had the chance to do this over again.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...oling/iCUE-RGB-PRO-XT-Coolers/p/CW-9060043-WW

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...oling/iCUE-RGB-PRO-XT-Coolers/p/CW-9060044-WW

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016
Hey all! Took a while to try to narrow down what the problem was. I contacted NZXT and they sent me some steps to try with my cooler but what worked was rotating my PC onto its face and letting it run. Some water coolers like the Kraken can get air bubbles which completely shut them down. Taking the radiator/cooler out and shaking it is another thing to try if rotating the radiator doesn't work.