Question Intel I9-12900K gaming temp question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 28, 2022
I have been noticing my CPU hitting temps of 70s or max at 80 while playing the Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition at ultra settings. I have a Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black 120mm cooler (not liquid cooling) so is the temp normal? The CPU goes up to 80 while playing the game and then drops to 75 or 70 randomly.

Jan 28, 2022
It's just a game, it's not the likes of blender.
@CyberZ2022 How much package power hwinfo says the cpu uses in that game?
The 12900K isn't using that much power to run that game - the U12S is fine. Heck, you even have the option to tune the cpu to make it use a little less voltage if need be.
The elevated 80-ish thermals is likely due to the ~400w gpu taking a dump on U12S, or spurts of AVX code.
CPU Package power varies from 10.229, 46.331, 60.182 to 134.046. Most of the time it is at 80. Yeah, it is probably the GPU since the 3080 series runs hot. I picked the Asus 3080 TUF GPU which is known to run hot. Usually I got with the EVGA type GPUs.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think there was some overreaction from the cpu + cpu cooler, but it's not like you're running blender or cinebench on it. I wouldn't recommend trying those with that cooler, not without some manual tuning, at least.
Games only should not be a problem, for the most part, but it's up to you what you want to do.

I ultimately believe you're safe, with some restrictions.

Jan 28, 2022
I think there was some overreaction from the cpu + cpu cooler, but it's not like you're running blender or cinebench on it. I wouldn't recommend trying those with that cooler, not without some manual tuning, at least.
Games only should not be a problem, for the most part, but it's up to you what you want to do.

I ultimately believe you're safe, with some restrictions.
For me it is mainly for gaming. I know some people like to OC the CPU/GPU and push the system using liquid cooling.

Btw, I noticed you have Pro Nm SSDs (Samsung). Do they make a difference while gaming ?