Question My Intel i9-12900K CPU is getting pretty hot while gaming, up to 100C ?

Sep 23, 2024
Hi!

My Intel i9-12900K CPU is getting pretty hot while gaming. You can see it on this screenshot...
Screenshot HWINFO

I know that this topic was discussed here before but my problem is a little bit different because my temperatures are higher and in the other threads really high temps were only hit when it came to CPU stress tests.

the CPU Package TEMP is shown by the HWINFO Overlay between 75-96C Celsius with Spikes up to 100C Celsius. 99% of the Time its between 77C an 93C

The Screenshot is taken from HWINFO. The left Row shows the Current TEMP, second: Minimum, middle: MAX, the right row shows the average TEMP.

The Average TEMP is not accurate because there’s idle time also monitored. I checked it later the average TEMP while gaming ist in the upper 70s to 80s.

I play Games like Battlefield2042, Dead Space and Cyberpunk.

Are those Temperatures okay for this CPU or should i be worried?

My Specs
MBD: ASUS ROG STRIX Z960-G Gaming WiFI
CPU: Intel i9-12900K
GPU: Radeon RX 6800 XT
RAM: 32GB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15
Case: BeQuiet DarkPro

Last edited:
What are the power limits set to?

Generally speaking the vast majority of gaming loads shouldn't see this CPU getting anywhere near 100C even in a warm room. The idle temps look fine which would also generally indicate there's no problem with the cooler mounting/paste.

Reactions: artk2219
Have you moved your PC recently? If you had it setup for a while, and have old thermal paste, it could have broken then contact the cooler was making with the CP. That could leave you with an air gap, and it may be heating up. It may be worth repasting it anyway if you've had it for a while.