[SOLVED] Intel i9 12900K with Noctua NH-D15S

Jan 10, 2022
Hello,

I have just completed my first build yesterday and just ran Cinebench R23 to see how the processor performs. I have also done some rendering tests using 3ds Max and Arnold. While doing these, I ran Core Temp to monitor cpu temperatures. I have seen some posts on various forums talking about the high temperatures of i9 12900K but the values during the tests seemed like they were too far from what they should be. I am sure there are people who are a lot more experienced and knowledgeable here than me, so I wanted to ask for some opinions.

While installing the cooler and the system in general, I have put a lot of thought and followed the instructions point by point. I used the thermal paste provided in the package by Noctua and applied it as instructed in the manual. I also have an adjustable torque screwdriver and I have tightened all the screws of the cooler and the mounting piece at the exact torque as instructed in Noctua manual. I have managed the cables as well as possible and they don't block the airflow. I have Corsair 4000D case with mesh panel front. There are 3 x 120mm intake fans on the front and 2 x 120mm exhaust fans one in the back and one in the rear top. I haven't done any overclocking, everything is in default settings at the moment. No lights or anything else in the case.

During the Cinebench tests, some cores easily reach 100°C / 212°F and the other cores follow with minimum around 90°C / 194°F. When I was rendering with 3ds Max and Arnold, some cores even exceeded these values. I have captured a screenshot of Core Temp while I was doing Cinebench test and inserted it below. I am not sure what I might have done wrong or whether I should remove and then install the cooler once again. Idle temperatures run between 21°C / 69.8°F and 30°C / 78.8°F.

Any opinions or suggestions for solution are more than welcome. I'd love to hear the opinions of those that are experienced with these kinds of issues.

If it is going to help, the motherboard is Asus Z690 Hero. I have not installed any of the software that comes with the board since they usually include a lot of bloatware as I spend a lot of time on the computer for work, I do not want to clutter the Windows.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

zf6DAFE.png

Solution
Unlike the other 12th gen chips, the 12900K is set out of the box to suck up as much power as it wants(almost). It'll keep running like that until cores hit 105C.
What you are seeing is normal.

Fortunately, you have a Z series board. You've the freedom to tune it up or down as you see fit.
Jan 10, 2022
Have you researched what temps are get on Cinebench with that cooler and that CPU? Is 100 known to be a problem?

Idle temps are excellent. If paste or mounting were significantly wrong, I would not expect low idle temps.
Thank you Lafong, I did not know you could also compare the temps. I will do that now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unlike the other 12th gen chips, the 12900K is set out of the box to suck up as much power as it wants(almost). It'll keep running like that until cores hit 105C.

Fortunately, you have a Z series board. You've the freedom to tune it up or down as you see fit.

Reactions: igksn
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,

I have just completed my first build yesterday and just ran Cinebench R23 to see how the processor performs. I have also done some rendering tests using 3ds Max and Arnold. While doing these, I ran Core Temp to monitor cpu temperatures. I have seen some posts on various forums talking about the high temperatures of i9 12900K but the values during the tests seemed like they were too far from what they should be. I am sure there are people who are a lot more experienced and knowledgeable here than me, so I wanted to ask for some opinions.

While installing the cooler and the system in general, I have put a lot of thought and followed the instructions point by point. I used the thermal paste provided in the package by Noctua and applied it as instructed in the manual. I also have an adjustable torque screwdriver and I have tightened all the screws of the cooler and the mounting piece at the exact torque as instructed in Noctua manual. I have managed the cables as well as possible and they don't block the airflow. I have Corsair 4000D case with mesh panel front. There are 3 x 120mm intake fans on the front and 2 x 120mm exhaust fans one in the back and one in the rear top. I haven't done any overclocking, everything is in default settings at the moment. No lights or anything else in the case.

During the Cinebench tests, some cores easily reach 100°C / 212°F and the other cores follow with minimum around 90°C / 194°F. When I was rendering with 3ds Max and Arnold, some cores even exceeded these values. I have captured a screenshot of Core Temp while I was doing Cinebench test and inserted it below. I am not sure what I might have done wrong or whether I should remove and then install the cooler once again. Idle temperatures run between 21°C / 69.8°F and 30°C / 78.8°F.

Any opinions or suggestions for solution are more than welcome. I'd love to hear the opinions of those that are experienced with these kinds of issues.

If it is going to help, the motherboard is Asus Z690 Hero. I have not installed any of the software that comes with the board since they usually include a lot of bloatware as I spend a lot of time on the computer for work, I do not want to clutter the Windows.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

zf6DAFE.png
Did you get the LGA 1700 mounting kit?

Jan 10, 2022

Thank you for the link and the feedback. I will look into what is written on that page. Cheers.

Jan 10, 2022
How are you handling fan speed control? When you perform these tests and get these temperatures, are all of your fans running at maximum speed? If not, how is the speed they are running at determined? Did you run the Qfan option in the bios?
I ran the optimization with Qfan and it increased the minimum duty cycles of a few of the fans and decreased a few of them. But I did not actually look at what speed the fans were running at during the tests. I do remember on Qfan graphic curvs in BIOS that they are adjusted to run at 100% speed at high temperatures.

Reactions: dwd999
Jan 10, 2022
How long did it take from the day of the email to the day the kit arrived?

I may have to do the same thing, although I could buy the kit from Newegg for a few dollars.

Was it shipped to the USA?
I emailed them and they got back to me asking for proof of purchase of a Noctua cooler and an LGA 1700 cpu. After I sent them the scans of the receipts, the UPS tracking number was in my inbox in two days. It was shipped from Austria to Istanbul, Turkey via UPS. It arrived at the customs office in in Istanbul Airport in 2 days. An additional day for providing Turkish Customs with documentation over email and waiting for them to process them and I got the package. So I would say the entire process took about a week and these are business days I am talking about. But overall, it was fast considering it was international and it was free.

EDIT: The kit is nowhere to be found in entire Turkey. So I had no other options than asking them directly.

Reactions: Lafong
I run a 12900K and a noctua NH-D15s.
I ordered the upgrade kit for both the NH-D15s as well as a different kit for a NH-U12s which I used for testing.
The kits came promptly, mailed in the US.

In my simple testing, running cpu-Z stress test, I observed some cores reaching 100c.
I used default motherboard settings which I think are aggressive from MSI.
The really good news is that the processor just kept operating.
My workload does not load all 24 threads.
The cooler could hardly be heard even though the fan ramped up.

All in all, I am very pleased.

Reactions: igksn and Lafong
Jan 10, 2022
I run a 12900K and a noctua NH-D15s.
I ordered the upgrade kit for both the NH-D15s as well as a different kit for a NH-U12s which I used for testing.
The kits came promptly, mailed in the US.

In my simple testing, running cpu-Z stress test, I observed some cores reaching 100c.
I used default motherboard settings which I think are aggressive from MSI.
The really good news is that the processor just kept operating.
My workload does not load all 24 threads.
The cooler could hardly be heard even though the fan ramped up.

All in all, I am very pleased.

geofelt, I am glad to see someone with the same equipment sharing their experience. How is the setup for your case fans? Have you tweaked their settings?

geofelt, I am glad to see someone with the same equipment sharing their experience. How is the setup for your case fans? Have you tweaked their settings?
My case is a cm HAF XB EVO.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-haf-series-atx-desktop/p/N82E16811119265?item=N82E16811119265&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+(computer+cases+-+atx+form)-_-N82E16811119265&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8vSOBhCkARIsAGdp6RSuUxFpguDHUHpMGUCP0bD9dENzhGdi9tipnlmVRcp9uIiq57t6ogIaAjsrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
It comes with two 120mm fans, but I had two noctua 140mm fans which I mounted in front, drawing in fresh air.
I use one 120mm exit fan.
They all normally run <1000 rpm.
The cpu fan will ramp up to 1500 rpm. The sound is reasonable because the pc sits about 3 feet away.
Today, my room is a bit colder than it was on a previous test session. It now measures 24c. as I am running cpu-z stress test.
I monitor with HWmonitor.
It is looking like the P cores are about 85c. with the max on one at 91c.
I am very pleased about this.

I have adjusted no settings other than implementing 4000 speed ram via XMP

TRENDING THREADS