Intel Identifies Cougar Point Chipset Error, Halts Shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
it should have been identified by more rigorous testing.

that said, at least they aren't just going to ship it anyway. good for them for repairing the error as best they can at this point.

Wow Intel is really messing up lately. First the P55 had the cpu sockets burning out and now the P67 has this problem. That's what happens when you try to release too soon. Hopefully AMD learned their lesson with Phenom I.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
oh boy, this is going to attract amd fanboys like a bear to honey. anyway atleast they caught this early, through not early enough some would say.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Very good for them for nipping this in the bud now. Yes - I'm sure their testing for future products will be a LOT more stringent. But with that - and them readily stopping and fixing this problem will put a little more trust in future Intel products. (We've all seen what happens when a hardware manufacture tries to "hide" flaws....)

Just for clarification - this is with the MB Chipset - NOT with SB CPU's themselves.

G

This is bad, really bad. It means that every single Sandy Bridge motherboard so far is defective and has to be replaced (since chipsets are soldered, and short of extremely labor intensive manual rework, there is no way to replace them). And motherboard manufacturers are a real pain to deal with; good luck finding someone who can even speak English, let alone understand this recall.

Worse, how will we know if a board we buy in the future has the fixed chipset? The board manufacturers aren't going to eat the losses, so I expect the defective parts already in the pipeline to continue being used until they run out. That could take the better part of a year.

Looks like I'll have to wait until 2012 to upgrade to the i5-2500K.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
That's unfortunate... I don't think I've seen this issue yet, but I have my 4 data drives on the 3GB/s ports. At least the data itself is supposedly *safe*.

Will they start calling the updated silicon P67A so there's a way to know which Cougar Point generation is part of the boards? Depending on how the manufacturers do it... they may or may not bump the PCB revision... since the replacement CP chip will be pin compatible... so probably no new layout. This could turn into a minor nightmare... unless they're very good about recalling bad stock, and paying cross-shipping fees, etc...

Those with SB parts will probably have to live with the bug for a month or so before the fixes come down.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Those are the breaks for those who adopt early. Hopefully GB, ASUS, others will offer replacements for those early adopters - but even if they do, what a hassle. I would just return the board and wait a couple weeks for replacements to arrive. Who wants something that "might" have a defect that is so bad they stop production.

But again, I wouldn't have been eager to buy the gimped chipset in the first place. LGA1366 and it's replacement for the win.

veen

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Wow this is a serious issue, all those people that bought into Intels promise of a good CPU will be disappointed, with all the money Intel is making, you would of tough that they would take the time to test there CPU , I guess we all know know where is Intel cutting the corners to make that extra profit, well at least we have AMD

x4dm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
The one question I have is let's say my mobo has 4 SATA ports and I am only using 2 of them. When one of the ports goes bad, can't I just swap my HD to a different one?

Also, while I really wish Intel would have caught this sooner, I have a hard time believing anyone that already purchased an x67 mobo will still be using it in 3 years. At least Intel didn't do the J&J thing like they did with the stealth recall of Tylenol.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Josh G[/nom]This is bad, really bad. It means that every single Sandy Bridge motherboard so far is defective and has to be replaced (since chipsets are soldered, and short of extremely labor intensive manual rework, there is no way to replace them). And motherboard manufacturers are a real pain to deal with; good luck finding someone who can even speak English, let alone understand this recall.Worse, how will we know if a board we buy in the future has the fixed chipset? The board manufacturers aren't going to eat the losses, so I expect the defective parts already in the pipeline to continue being used until they run out. That could take the better part of a year.Looks like I'll have to wait until 2012 to upgrade to the i5-2500K.[/citation]
I would be pretty sure that part of Intel's $700M losses are eating the chips already in the OEMs hands... so there will be no 'old stock' (chipsets) making it to 'new' boards. It sounds like the 'old' mobos already in end user hands should be RMA'd. I'm hoping they eat the delivery costs too... or make it so I can get an immediate exchange at Micro Center... For anyone around at retail stores... have they cleared the shelves of LGA1155 boards?

G

AMD riding intel a bit too hard forcing intel to falter slightly, whether it delivers or not, bulldozer will have an interesting effect on things

ulysses35

Distinguished
@ IntelForceFault.... what planet are you on ? AMD can barely keep up with the old tech that Intel has let alone pressure them into a mistake.

Bulldozer may or may not be more competitive with Intel chips - that argument will only happend when they Finally launch their new cpu.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
AMD riding intel a bit too hard forcing intel to falter slightly, whether it delivers or not, bulldozer will have an interesting effect on things

Considering this was only found after probably "longer term" testing - especially when it was related to heat issues - doesn't mean it's going to "kill" Intel.

(I'm guessing the heating up and cooling off expansion/contraction after many, many repeated on/off cycles is what caused this flaw to finally "show up". One that probably most users that aren't hard core gamers, photo/video editors and engineers running CAD programs would really even run into. IMO)

But is looks like Intel, by reports I've read on other sites too, is taking FULL responsibility and will cover the replacements. Now there's hoping the MB makers will not try to take "advantage" of that too...

G

@ulysses35

intel, a company who's well ahead of the game with significant capital, feels no pressure so release a product with a half @ssed chipset....... what so they can just sc#w their patrons over for the fun of it

never said bulldozer would be competitive, just said that it rattled intel enough for them to release a flawed chipset, intel is so far ahead of the game they could probably easily lose a year or two and still beat AMD to the punch right, why rush the implementation of sandy bridge (cost them a nice $700mil)

slycraft

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
[citation][nom]ulysses35[/nom]@ IntelForceFault.... what planet are you on ? AMD can barely keep up with the old tech that Intel has let alone pressure them into a mistake. Bulldozer may or may not be more competitive with Intel chips - that argument will only happend when they Finally launch their new cpu.[/citation]

lets hope bulldozer whoops sandy bridge's buttt.....this will spark competition and will give users better products..... pleaseee beat intel AMD so then Intel can turn Around and beat you and the cycle repeats....

lets hope it isn't sub par AMD though i fear the worst

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hope Intel comes up with something to differentiate the old and the new(fixed) chipset. Otherwise, it would be hard for us to tell what we are buying after March/April.

Maybe we better wait for the Ivy Bridge instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.