[SOLVED] Intel Inside! Can't switch to AMD.

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there
I am building a system for my 15 years old gamer (Steam, Mindcraft). This would be my 5th build. My previous systems were all Intels. I have "Intel Inside" stock deeply and I have such a hard time to get excited about Ryzen. I do believe you all that it is great now and is better than same price Intel, and offers cooler and such. I guess- I am old school and I can't get Intel out of me. I am thinking- there must be some kind of hidden difference when building Intel v/ AMD. Something I will find out when I do it. Not looking forward to learn new things and watch more building videos- just wish I can go and build and it works.

I forced myself in decision to build with Ryzen, because Intel 9700K did not have Hyperthreading technology- 8 cores were 8 cores, not 16 threads. Last night I found this great deal of AMD RYZEN 7 3700X + ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) at $704, and just as I was adding it to cart- I realized it said "Out of Stock". So I went to see what else is out there, and I found Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core 16-Thread 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo), GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) at $782. Almost the same price, as in this combo Memory was also included. I would totally pay extra to build with Intel!

Might be suboptimal MoBo GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI- what you think?

In Tom's Hardware CPU Hierarchy, https://www.tomshardware.com/review...ter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190722-th

Intel Core i9-9900K is #2 while AMD Ryzen 7 3700X is #5! So can I build with Intell Or do you still recommend to go with Ryzen? i9-9900K is $500 processor- I want it! Ryzen- I wanted to try , but what if I dont like it? (I will not be using this computer but still). And if you all ok with me building with i9-9900K, I need good Motherboard. I usually use Asus hero or Pro, but I need WiFi... have to be budget friendly too. Thank you.

Solution
Ram is good. That PSU is great.

AMD's CPU coolers come with paste. Be careful when taking out the AMD CPU cooler. Dont stick your fingers on the bottom when taking it out, otherwise, you will smudge the paste.

With the AMD CPU, dont bend the pins. Just open the arm, match arrow to arrow when dropping the CPU in, and close the arm.
There should be no plastic covers as there are no socket pins to protect.

You cannot usually see there the drives go with newer cases. They all are different, but usually the drive bay openings are on the opposite side as the windows.

Astralv

Distinguished
I dont know what my son doing on it- I hear "click click click"- it usually World of warship, Minecraft- haha- he is yelling that I should not tell you this because it is not high demanding games and you will tell me to buy cheaper hardware. He is watching a lot of Youtube. I dont have money- his birthday was 2 months ago and I still looking at parts and did not buy anything because it is expansive, and this is why I can't get excited about AMD. I feel like if I want to spend that much- I should buy Intel. (No offence to anyone who likes AMD- this is why I am asking).

He currently uses Haswell 4770K with Asus Pro motherboard, but we need another computer because we moving and his old computer will stay at old place. He is getting better- in the past- he got his computer infected more than once because he downloads all kind of stuff- he is been inside Minecraft since he was 3 years old...

So I dont want to spend more than I should, but if spending more than $600, then it should be good- I dont want to rebuild in couple of years. This should last through his college. So I may have to buy with NewEgg credit and would hope to stay under $1000. All I have now is one drive. I want to get M.2, better 1TB, under 100$ case, under 100$ PSU...

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019

Astralv

Distinguished
I did not realize how prices went up. In 2014, I had build with Asus Deluxe board, it used to be under 300$, I think. I like to stay with Asus- just because I know their BIOS, understand how to enable EMP profile and overclock. Their drivers located in certain place and I downloaded them like 10 times, so I know where to look- I dont have much time, so with Asus I would just go, download them and install the same way I did last 10 times. If I have to go with Ginabyte, I will have to learn all this new flashy web site, look for things and so on. I like Asus tech support- you can call them- not that they know anything, but it feels good to be able to call direct when building.

For most games a Ryzen 5 3600 is enough as it's nearly identical to the i7 8700k in performance. You can pair it with a B450 board for a combined cost of just over $300.
MSI's B450 boards have a bios flash button that allows flashing without a cpu and the MAX series boards come with full 3rd gen support out of the box.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Astralv

Distinguished
Also why do you want to get an M2 exactly? This will yield no benefit for gaming. So you may as well just get the cheaper interface. Then you can focus on money elsewhere. But seriously what exact parts will you be re-using from your current system?
Reusing? No, we will keep his current computer at our old place and need new computer for a new place- he would not move to new place until there is computer (lol). His old computer is staying at his grandmother. :)

Astralv

Distinguished
Great- I was just told- we lost budget for graphic card- his dad was supposed to get it for his birthday but he has no money now and will only be ready by March. So I now have to get everything. Ugh. $1200 budget for all together. Recommendations? Thanks.

I would definitely not spend that much money on a system for those games. The i9 combo for a similar price to the 3700x + mobo would offer better performance

The issue is you can pair a 3700x with a budget motherboard with wifi and pay less than $500

Need a monitor and keyboard/mouse in budget?

Astralv

Distinguished
No, well- no monitor, but keyboard and mouth- yes- something that would not lose letters- all his keyboards have no letters because we buy those with lights and paint wears off. :)

You mean like 3700X and Asus TUF WiFi- together $530? I just looked at Gigabyte drivers- I will need to learn a lot before I figure what to download. I want Asus because I already know what is what and what needs to be installed and what is not... Also if you think Gigabyte offers advantage... Probably not MSI- bad reviews on Youtuibe.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $328.90 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard | $167.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $67.99 @ Newegg
Storage | HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $56.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card | $409.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $69.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard | Redragon K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard | $27.99 @ Amazon
Mouse | MSI CLUTCH GM10 Wired Optical Mouse | $15.00 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1229.83
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| Total | $1194.83
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-28 14:45 EDT-0400 |

The motherboard and CPU cost under $500, around the same cost as a 9900k alone.
The GPU performs between an RTX 2070 and 2070 super.

I have had that keyboard for a year and am hard on it. No issues. My Redragon mouse has started to wear so went with an MSI mouse.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for taking your time to reply.
Wouldn't I need at least 650 PSU?
I did not get to research ASRock motherboards- looks like they been popular. The Asus TUF I think has WiFi 5, and the board you offer has WiFi 6, it is a plus.
I usually buy Corsair memory. Never looked seriously at Team T-Force. And HP- I dont like HP that much. Wouldn't Intel M.2 be better? And somebody said- M.2 will not offer any advantage? How come?

Thank you for taking your time to reply.
Wouldn't I need at least 650 PSU?
I did not get to research ASRock motherboards- looks like they been popular. The Asus TUF I think has WiFi 5, and the board you offer has WiFi 6, it is a plus.
I usually buy Corsair memory. Never looked seriously at Team T-Force. And HP- I dont like HP that much. Wouldn't Intel M.2 be better? And somebody said- M.2 will not offer any advantage? How come?
That ASRock board is pretty good.

Team Group makes pretty good stuff, although you can go for G.skill or corsair if you wish.

The Intel 660p 512gb is a lil more pricy. Really the HP and Intel trade blows depending on the case.

M.2 nvme drives won't be noticeably faster than SATA 2.5in ones for loading programs and such. Very small difference other than benchmarks.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $328.90 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard | $167.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $77.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card | $409.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $69.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard | Redragon K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard | $27.99 @ Amazon
Mouse | MSI CLUTCH GM10 Wired Optical Mouse | $15.00 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1242.73
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| Total | $1207.73
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-28 15:09 EDT-0400 |

Could spend $10 more and get a 650w Corsair TXM if you want room for upgrades and a lot of overclocking.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thanks again. How do you see Corsair memory at 77$? It shows 82$ for me. And also how about this one- is it better? ($87- $92 after tax). This is how it gets more and more expansive.
What is the difference about WiFi 5 and 6? I prefer Asus MoBo, but Tuf has WiFi 5... Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished
Looks like WiFi 6 is important, also I dont know if WiFi would work in his room- should be one wall between his room and router. I am planning to eventually run a wire over the attic, but it may take time- WiFi needed for initial set up- I am sure he would want to use computer the moment it is in place. We have newest router from cable company but I am yet to check if it offers WiFi 6 (also they would replace it with time, so in a long run...)

So- Intel remains inside- I still looking at I9. It is soooo attractive- I want to give my son my Kaby Lake or my Hasswell and build Coffee for me. But I am adult and can control myself. lol.

So I am looking at this combo... Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core 16-Thread 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo), ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.3885029&Description=i9-9900K combo
Click on the Motherboard. It does not show WiFi in heading but in specs- it shows WiFi 5. I noted that all Z390 boards have WiFi 5, which is probably not deal breaker. It is nice combo- $724. Wondering how much different Strix is from Hero. (+$70).

The memory I was talking about was Corsair Pro https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236417?Item=N82E16820236417

I need all parts be from NewEgg since I will need to use credit.

Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished
No, I dont have extra money. I have a list of things that I need to buy- we moving and doing remodeling... I have leaking chimney too...
How is it not having WiFi- look at the big graphical list of specs- it has WiFi on the IO picturehttps://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119151?Item=N82E16813119151

Here is the link on Asus for Z390:

Gaming networking: Intel Gigabit Ethernet, Intel 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support, LANGuard and GameFirst

This is link to X570 AMD and it also says it has WiFi, but 6, not 5. Can they be so wrong?

Astralv

Distinguished
Also- how wide if AMD CPU cooler? Do I need low profile memory? In one of my builds, I had Evo cooler and it was so wide- I had to move my memory to slots to the right because 1st slot was not accessible for Corsair tall memory.