News Intel Invests $700 Million in Immersion Liquid Cooling Solutions

i know its not, but it would be funny if this was due to how hot their new chips run.

just wish it would gte more attention as the idea of a immersion system is great.

eveyr few yrs u hear progress but in end nothing comes of it x_x

Reactions: thisisaname

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
i know its not, but it would be funny if this was due to how hot their new chips run.

just wish it would gte more attention as the idea of a immersion system is great.

eveyr few yrs u hear progress but in end nothing comes of it x_x

I was thinking it could be how hot their new graphics chips run :)

InvalidError

Titan
If it was only specific chips getting warm, then that can be taken care of by cooling blocks.

For datacenters though, immersion cooling would be considerably more power-efficient than air-cooling racks since 1L of coolant carries as much heat as ~1000L of air using a tiny fraction as much space for heat exchange between the heat source and coolant. The coolant-to-refrigerant heat exchangers for chilled liquid are also be much smaller than air conditioning coils.

Reactions: KyaraM and gg83
Apr 1, 2020
For datacenters though, immersion cooling would be considerably more power-efficient than air-cooling racks since 1L of coolant carries as much heat as ~1000L of air using a tiny fraction as much space for heat exchange between the heat source and coolant. The coolant-to-refrigerant heat exchangers for chilled liquid are also be much smaller than air conditioning coils.

And the coolant can be used for other ventures, such as aquaculture, which could minimize cooling costs, or even use them to turn a profit.

A Japanese data center is using waste heat to farm eels | TechSpot

Reactions: KyaraM and gg83

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
It doesn't appear the open standard is actually available yet. The document attached to the press release does clarify that this is a single phase immersion system- i.e. the fluid never boils, having a boiling point >150°C - rather than a phase-change system like the 'common' DIY Fluorinert immersion systems.

And the coolant can be used for other ventures, such as aquaculture, which could minimize cooling costs, or even use them to turn a profit.

A Japanese data center is using waste heat to farm eels | TechSpot
I was going to say. This is getting to the point where putting your data center next to a nuclear plant may be a good idea as both could use the same water treatment plants going into it for cooling and disposing of it. Although I don't know how if water coming out of a nuclear plant is actually usable; I suppose it is unless there's a radiation leak.

Anyway, putting data centers closer and closer to the shores may not be a bad idea going forward.

Regards.

KyaraM

Admirable
I was going to say. This is getting to the point where putting your data center next to a nuclear plant may be a good idea as both could use the same water treatment plants going into it for cooling and disposing of it. Although I don't know how if water coming out of a nuclear plant is actually usable; I suppose it is unless there's a radiation leak.

Anyway, putting data centers closer and closer to the shores may not be a bad idea going forward.

Regards.
https://cdn.britannica.com/62/162162-050-586ADA35/diagram-nuclear-power-plant-reactor.jpg
Well, in theory it might be usable if you can condense it down since it would be absolutely pure water vapor without radiation. However, considering what a risk factor nuclear plants are, I would rather not have (read, shut them down) them and use the cooling water for only the data centers instead if possible.

https://cdn.britannica.com/62/162162-050-586ADA35/diagram-nuclear-power-plant-reactor.jpg
Well, in theory it might be usable if you can condense it down since it would be absolutely pure water vapor without radiation. However, considering what a risk factor nuclear plants are, I would rather not have (read, shut them down) them and use the cooling water for only the data centers instead if possible.
Ah! Right. I forgot the simple fact most nuclear plants evaporate the water instead of circling it. That makes it a moot point for "re-use", but at least the entry point can be shared. A data center can certainly benefit from refreshing the coolant every now and then instead of re-circulating the same coolant over and over in a closed system. Probably way more expensive to build though, but I'd argue it would run for a lot of years with no problem. Upgrade cycles could be a problem I guess? Oh welp.

Regards.

isofilm

Honorable
Oct 17, 2018
Intel's new Cooling Solutions Lab, will not invent a single thing that has not already been done. Because they are bleeding from AMD and others creeping into their sales space, they may spend a lot of money attempting to improve/simplify what has already been done.

Intel's new Cooling Solutions Lab, will not invent a single thing that has not already been done. Because they are bleeding from AMD and others creeping into their sales space, they may spend a lot of money attempting to improve/simplify what has already been done.
Oh yeah, intel bleeding sooo hard...no way they gonna pull through.
Oh, no wait, more money is better than less money, right?!

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/INTC/intel/net-income
Intel Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2021$19,868
2020$20,899
2019$21,048
2018$21,053
2017$9,601
2016$10,316

Reactions: KyaraM

TRENDING THREADS