Intel is officially scared of ryzen

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Anyone who still thinks ryzen is just smoke and mirrors. I suggest looking at the kaby lake/Skylake prices at microcenter right now. A 7700k is now under $300. Everyone says "Intel won't drop prices for months" they dropped them before ryzen even launched. The 6900k is down $200. I may not believe everything AMD has said but the fact Intel is constantly running. Commercials, releasing i5s with hyperthreading, and an i7 clocked above a 7700k and slashing prices tells me they know they have to step up quickly. Even if you're a blue fanboy you have to be excited by team red stepping up.

USAFRet

Titan

This is not from Intel.

You do realize those prices are for In Store at MicroCenter only.
And they they are not out of line with what MicroCenter usually does with sale prices.

Competition is good, but let's see if this happens at other retailers.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The pricing was only part of it I hadn't seen maybe 3 Intel commercials in the past 4 years. Now I can't watch a show show without seeing one, also the breakup of hyperthreading on pentiums and releasing an i5 with it as well seems timed out of fear.

They will likely lower prices if all the leaks are true, but nowhere close to matching AMD. Just not something Intel will do regardless of performance. Same thing occurred in early 2000s. It will force innovation though, which is good. Same thing happened when Athlon 64 came out. AMD beat up on Intel, then rested on their laurels. In '06, Intel Core 2 series came out and took back the crown.

I thought the same thing until I noticed those prices are only for Microcenter's in store CPUs. I looked at newegg and other sites and prices aren't going down quite yet. Microcenter is known to have very good sale prices on their in store CPUs but you have to live near one to take advantage of the prices. I would personally love to live near a microcenter store but the closest one to me is about 166 miles away. I could get to it if I absolutely had to but the gas it would take to get there would negate the amount that I would save on the deals. Ryzen looks to be better than Kaby Lake per clock based on leaked benchmarks. I have to say that is absolutely amazing if true but we'll have to wait for the reviews to know the truth.

USAFRet

Titan

Fear? No.
This is standard marketing. They'd be foolish not to run more ads currently.

If McDonalds comes out with some new sandwich, you will also see ads from BK, even if it is the same stuff as always.
Marketing 101.

But all the comments around the intertubes are "OMG!!! Big fail from Intel! They're running scared!"
When in reality, it is based on a single retailers InStore prices, posted in one editorial.

After the recent initial release fails from AMD, (Faildozer, etc), I doubt Intel is worried yet.
Let's wait and see how this shakes out.

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah, Microcenter runs in-store-only promos all the time. If that's the only place offering significant discounts, then that's just a regular Microcenter thing.

That said, Intel and its retailers will certainly be trying to shift as much stock as they can before they are forced to drastically cut prices. We haven't seen Intel in that sort of position in about 10 years. I bet many people today have forgotten or don't know that Intel and AMD used to cut prices on their older chips by 20-30% nearly every year.

''After the recent initial release fails from AMD, (Faildozer, etc), I doubt Intel is worried yet.
Let's wait and see how this shakes out. ''

lol. ya .

though AMD is in need of a good one hit wonder . then I just love how people react to the HYPE and smoke blowing that all ways comes along with any prerelease ...lol......

whn its for sale at like newegg and folks got them ''retail'' cpu's in hand and all the spesc are stated and not all that TBA funny how they don't want to disclose any of that ??

I guess its the old fall for the hype buy blindly and suffer when its not all that itr was claimed to be [not even close ]

then I seem the guy that worked for AMD to design these cpu's all ready left them to another company ?? I guess he did not want to stick around for any fallout

lakimens

Honorable
Scared? Intel is horribly terrified of AMD right now. Scared was back when they released the HT Pentium.
Now they are terrified and know there's nothing they can do, so they do what they do all the time, release a new CPU with a small increment in performance, a "new" i7-7740k, 100Mhz increment in clocks..Great..

Intel will respond with major innovation if needed, but it will take time. I'm not trying to take away from AMD's accomplishments with Ryzen/Vega assuming leaked info is true. Its just Intel has much deeper pockets. Intel had no reason for last several years for big performance boosts as they had no real competition. They would be cutting their own profits. Now that they do appear to have a real problem with competition, you can be sure they can afford to lower prices a good bit and push up their production schedule. Could be Core 2 all over again if they choose, but not anytime soon based on current info.

InvalidError

Titan

What is still TBA? There is none of that left on the 1700/1700X/1800X after the press event where AMD announced their pre-order availability last week.

Unless Ryzen is a success, AMD will be bankrupt by 2020. If AMD suckers people into buying a steaming turd with pre-orders after saying that Ryzen beat design targets, it will have signed its own death certificate.

So, why is AMD not releasing more info than necessary? It could simply be because the hype is already strong enough as it is and releasing more info before launch might actually reduce interest: "we already know everything, now we just have to wait for independent confirmation."

Leaving people begging for more information and speculate on every little scrap that gets let out generates far more buzz than telling everything up-front while necessitating far less effort.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The whole point is Intel knows what AMD has by now. If it was bulldozer 2.0 they'd have he same response they did then which is nothing. The fact they are reacting before the release with new products tells me they know they have a legit threat.

Maybe I live in a different part of the country or watch different shows but I've seen plenty of intel commercials for quite some time. "Sheldon" from "Big Bang Theory" has a whole series of them and has had for the past couple years if memory serves.

A hyper threaded i5 makes little to no sense, I'll believe it when I see it. Anymore there seems to be more gossip in the 'news' than there is at the hair salon.

For what it's worth I'm glad to see amd making themselves relevant again after a good 5-6yrs or better of lackluster offerings. It is a bit amusing though the angle from which people see things. On one hand people are rallying and saying how amd is sticking it to intel, they're going to take intel down a notch etc. Consider the other reality of it, which is saying amd is finally catching up to intel. Meaning all this excitement is what intel's been offering for years but everyone calls them uninteresting, boring, yawn.

Much of what amd has done with ryzen is paying attention to what intel has done. Offering ddr4 (finally), moving from a northbridge/southbridge to a pch design, adding additional features intel boards have been providing, ditching cmt for smt (like intel's ht), improving on efficiency in terms of power and increasing ipc while lowering clock speeds. In essence using intel's approach to make a successful cpu like intel has had and correcting their shortcomings in the process.

well looks like typical toms promoting above - hay, when was the last time anyone seen a bad -negative review of something here ?? everything is so great , buy now and save - lol.... look how they react to something said bad about win-10 for instance . the greatest OS ever
some times is never a dull moment here at toms .

I doubt AMD going broke is not going to happen [52 Week Range 2.05 - 14.50 ] look at all there innovations they license out and collect royalty fees and now with all the console contracts they acquired . they got a steady stream of cash . and then console contracts probably paid for this ryzen to be a reality or it would of been another ''NEXT YEAR'' product .

the main thing here is the hopes it don't some how end up like bulldozer and AM3+ did even the ceo of amd at the time said it was a mistake

''Ultimately AMD’s focus on new “growth areas” isn’t the culprit. What has hurt AMD is a big bet on a Bulldozer architecture — in which two CPU integer cores share a floating-point unit and other components — that simply didn’t work out. “Everyone knows that Bulldozer was not the game-changing part when it was introduced three years ago,” then-CEO Rory Read said at a Deutsche Bank event. “We have to live with that for four years ''

of course he a goner now

I all ways built AMD but that put me over to intel for my first time ever in 16 years . and cant say it was a bad move in any way - I still don't see AMD winning me back I even ditched the GPU's and went back to NVidia as well there support had got so bad for my use that NVidia still worked well and fully supported me where AMD just did not anymore

InvalidError

Titan

Actually, AMD started the north-bridge integration first when it integrated the memory controller (the north bridge's single most important function) into its Athlon64 CPUs over 12 years ago, 4-5 years ahead of Intel's Core i-series.

As for hyperthreaded i5, it shouldn't sound that far-fetched when you consider that Ryzen 6C12T will retail for ~$200 while 4C8T will be around $150. So long as Ryzen delivers on performance, a $200 4C4T i5 would look like awful value next to it. The only thing preventing Intel from upgrading the i5 to 4C8T is the $100-150 hit to its gross profit margin on i7 sales until it comes up with something new to carry the i7 badge. Or Intel could slash the i7 price down to $200 or less and adjust i5 prices accordingly.

looked at this you said a 2ed time

''So, why is AMD not releasing more info than necessary? It could simply be because the hype is already strong enough as it is and releasing more info before launch might actually reduce interest: ''

you know don't think I could of said that better myself...

I mean look here all ready taking sales ''preorder'' in the hopes you fall hook line and sinker off the hype sheets

nothing for any ''official specs '' why hide or delay it ?? ya, if they were proud of it and did all you see hyped up then whats the problem ?? cause they would be caught in a lie I assume

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop

nothing there on them so I guess there plenty of fools that buy blindly I want to see AMD official specs first not buy now and ask questioned latter or find I been duped [kinda like I was with AM3+ ] fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me .

I just prefer to see it all officially spelled out on AMD letter head then see what the first release suckers ends up with a few months down the road [opinion] that seems to save me a bit of time money and headache when all's said and done

Susquehannock

Honorable
Scared? Highly doubtful. What Intel has is roughly 80-85 percent of the processor market. Ask yourself this ... if Ryzen does create a paradigm shift and the world flocks to their doorstep, does AMD really have the production facilities and supply chain to handle it? That is the question here.

InvalidError

Titan

That's why AMD only launched its top-tier Ryzen first: focus demand on its highest-margin parts first.

That has two benefits: it enables AMD to get the most profit out of the wafer starts it is already committed to with foundries and also gives it the most margin to outbid other foundry clients for extra wafer starts or buy wafer starts from those other clients. While that may still not be enough to meet 100% of the market demand, it could get a fair chunk of the way there.