Intel is Stepping on the Gas for Atom CPU Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
3 years from 32nm to 14nm? I don't know if I'd trust Intel's atom's if they are gonna upgrade that fast.. Especially when they mess up their 2 year cycle so often, seemly. :/

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Cedar Trail will be outclassed by AMD, just like Atom is now.[/citation]
Which is why AMD has sold far more units than the 100 million Intel just celebrated, right? Right?

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Which is why AMD has sold far more units than the 100 million Intel just celebrated, right? Right?[/citation]
He said outclassed, meaning it will remain the superior of the two, not the better selling.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm not a hardware engineer, but by rushing through 32-22-14nm seems like a VERY difficult way to make a chip efficient and perform well!
Just seems much easier to underclock/fewer cores/less cache an Ivy Bridge/Haswell or make a very different architecture more like the ARM. Is the x86 so inherently inefficient (or not well suited for small devices)? I'm Missing something basic?
Yes, I also think the Cedar Trail is only a modest improvement over the Pineview and will get spanked just as easily.

G

> intel haz no good GPU!!!

Could you name any tasks other than gaming that require a 'good GPU' on an Atom system? And gaming is much less important than children think.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]zooted[/nom]He said outclassed, meaning it will remain the superior of the two, not the better selling.[/citation]
Toyota sell more cars than BMW and Mercedes together...does that mean Toyota's cars are better than ze German's vehicles? I think not.

(that was me agreeing with zooted btw)

robisinho

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
is Oak Trail a Cedar Trail processor? if so, I can see why they are moving Atom up to the first-gen fabs at each node... Oak Trail is behind ARM for this year's early Android systems, by the time it comes out it will be pushing less than half the benchmark scores.

[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]I'm not a hardware engineer, but by rushing through 32-22-14nm seems like a VERY difficult way to make a chip efficient and perform well!Just seems much easier to underclock/fewer cores/less cache an Ivy Bridge/Haswell or make a very different architecture more like the ARM. Is the x86 so inherently inefficient (or not well suited for small devices)? I'm Missing something basic?Yes, I also think the Cedar Trail is only a modest improvement over the Pineview and will get spanked just as easily.[/citation]

Yet it has worked out well for their desktop lineup. Intel releases a new arch and then a new porcess within two yesr. They are basically going to do the same with Atom. And I think that once they move Atom to 22nm it will be a major game changer due to the 3D tri gate tech. They can stack memory on the die which will eliminate the need for memory anywhere elese, make it much faster since it will be on the die and cut system costs.

Add that to the extra power savings that 22nm will bring plus the advanced power states Atom will have at 32nm (it can turn off parts of the CPU that is not needed when in use).

[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]Toyota sell more cars than BMW and Mercedes together...does that mean Toyota's cars are better than ze German's vehicles? I think not.[/citation]

Toyota has had the best quality rating for a while. Ford is actually rapidly coming upon that, due to them utilizing their European designs more and VW, a German car maker, now ahs some of their cars manufatured in China.

Of course better is all about the person. Some people don't take care of their cars. My Ford COntour is 12 years old and the most I have had to do was replace the upper and lower air intake gaskets.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]Toyota sell more cars than BMW and Mercedes together...does that mean Toyota's cars are better than ze German's vehicles? I think not.[/citation]

If resale value is any indicator, yes... the Toyota is better. Oh, Honda also holds higher resale value than BMW, MB. Higher prices doesn't always mean that you're getting a better product.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Actually your Ford Contour is an indentical twin to the MKI Ford Mondeo, which is a German Ford.

Only minor changes were made to the Mondeo ( US EPA/DOT) requirements to make the car legal for sale in the USA, and they changed the name.

Actually the next generation Mondeo will be sold in the US sometime in the next couple of years. It will be almost the same as the European version and carry the Mondeo name plate.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
For what the Atom is meant for, it does it's job VERY well. Of course it's not fast- it's designed that way. It's meant for web browsing and that's what is does well. All of you even bringing up gaming need to leave. They're meant to be low heat and low power consumption. The fact that they can run with passive cooling is awesome.

Mario75

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Cedar Trail will be outclassed by AMD, just like Atom is now.[/citation]
How do you know?Oh wait,i know - you have crystal ball with amd letters on it and you can see very bright amd future LOL
I bet,that Intel will trash any amd cpu,and very "smart" talking about Atom,when he is nearly 3y old and compare it to recently released products.New Atom will trash amd,but knowing amd,they probably will give only promises,just like with BullDozeER xD

Yo failed with your comparison with cars,its not cars,its IT,here are different rules,and thats why Intel selling way to many cpu's comparing to lame amd offers.
Its clear to every with brains,that Intels cpu to superior for amd to catch,amd ages behind and giving they fans only promises.Anybody BullDozzeER? xD
Only good amd exist its because you get fantastic cpu (Sandy) for good price,which owes any amd cpu,and probably will owe that IT's Duke Nukem Forever - bullldozzer xD

G

Kryan: Define "better". Besides, Toyota makes Lexus, which does compete just fine with BMW and Mercedes in "I'm a fascist douchebag who needs the interior of his car covered in leather and shiny fake wood grain to distinguish it from blue-collar Corolla drivers".

For overall engineering prowess, innovation and reliability, Toyota is definitely the world leader, then Honda, followed by the Germans, then the rest of the Japanese carmakers, with America in a distant 4th, then the Koreans. Toyotas are engineering marvels if you take the time to study them and see what they've done, especially when you compare them to something like a Ford(V6 FWD cars that require you to remove the engine to change the back 3 sparkplugs, anyone?).

Yours Truly,
A guy who's owned a lot of different cars

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Mario75, actually for NOW, the amd netbooks are outperforming intel. On a side note, that was probably one of the most unintelligent comments i have ever read.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]another user[/nom]> intel haz no good GPU!!!Could you name any tasks other than gaming that require a 'good GPU' on an Atom system? And gaming is much less important than children think.[/citation]
hmm, GPU (or APU) will become increasingly important, with HTML 5 around the corner and GPU accelerated browsers becoming the norm, low power netbooks/tablets will be missing the best bits of the next web if they don't have decent graphics processing.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]another user[/nom]> intel haz no good GPU!!!Could you name any tasks other than gaming that require a 'good GPU' on an Atom system? And gaming is much less important than children think.[/citation]
why do u pay more and get a crappy atom with no good GPU while u can pay less or the same and get a Fusion APU that come with good GPU ?

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Intel > AMD on pure performance per watt on all CPU fronts
AMD > Intel on pure performance per watt on all GPU fronts

Intel > ALL on pure manufacturing process...

So Intel pushing for a piece of the ultra portable market makes perfect sense. This also explain Intel's very large "investment" in Nvidia.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The main reason why I think Intel is able to pursue the 32/22/14nm path so quickly is because Intel has been holding back Atom at 45nm for so long. I mean think about it, Intel has been mass producing 32nm processors for just about a year and a half already and 22nm mass production is going to ramp up this fall. So it's not actually a situation where Atom is being pushed down a path of rapid development, it's just a case of Atom rapidly catching up with the current cutting edge of Intel's manufacturing capability.

[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]My Ford COntour is 12 years old and the most I have had to do was replace the upper and lower air intake gaskets.[/citation]
My Camry is almost old enough to drink (born in 1991 in Lexington, Kentucky). Biggest problem we have is getting the old style AC refrigerant.

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
When i drive my mom's Avalon next to BMW or Mercedes i always say, up yours... overpriced pieces of imports.

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]japanese_cars_rock[/nom]Kryan: Define "better". Besides, Toyota makes Lexus, which does compete just fine with BMW and Mercedes in "I'm a fascist douchebag who needs the interior of his car covered in leather and shiny fake wood grain to distinguish it from blue-collar Corolla drivers". For overall engineering prowess, innovation and reliability, Toyota is definitely the world leader, then Honda, followed by the Germans, then the rest of the Japanese carmakers, with America in a distant 4th, then the Koreans. Toyotas are engineering marvels if you take the time to study them and see what they've done, especially when you compare them to something like a Ford(V6 FWD cars that require you to remove the engine to change the back 3 sparkplugs, anyone?).Yours Truly,A guy who's owned a lot of different cars[/citation]
I am so with you on that, i took every single bit of rust dust in the eyes trying to change bloody spark plugs in the Windstar. Only 4 of them could be replaced, other 2 will make you change your mind about ever investing in Ford again.

Status
Not open for further replies.