Intel Is The Biggest Buyer of Green Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]So, does this make AMD "green" with envy?[/citation]

Probably not, since AMD covers its electricity costs completely with green energy with some left to spare.

How do companies purchase >100% green energy? There's two of them (HSBC and AMD). Do they store some of it in capacitors/batteries? Are they buying more than they use and share it with the surrounding community?

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
AMD is going down... look it uses 74m kwh and intel uses 2.84b kwh (2.5/0.88). it shows just how small amd is and even if they do come up with something great in short run they are bound to lose in a long run. intel has so many projects going on that some of them must be successfull while amd depends on luck

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Its all sort of a farce, they buy the energy, but they consume whatever is on the grid. Its pretty much a trade off. Not every Kohl store is hooked to a grid with sufficient Green energy. Green energy doesn't have the consistency nor throughput to actually deliver the power require by most these organizations, so they purchase the energy as an offset and claim they are green. They couldn't survive on current green technology. Fact is, Coal is still king of Electricity.

Also TMK, Intel in Revenues makes 20 times more than AMD, a much bigger corporation. Are you trying to correlate energy consumption with Commercial Success? How odd.

May energy innovation continue to get better. Just wish the lame politics and publicity grabs would subside.

G

This is a great accomplishment for Intel and proves that the company does more than just talk the talk when it comes to environmental responsibility. Let's challenge the rest of the technology economy to do the same! Intel’s 2011 green power REC purchases will exceed 85 percent of its estimated U.S. electricity use. Can your company beat that?

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Daniel R Cobb[/nom]Let's challenge the rest of the technology economy to do the same! Intel’s 2011 green power REC purchases will exceed 85 percent of its estimated U.S. electricity use. Can your company beat that?[/citation]
I don't know if you read the article, but a few companies are already beating that, as the article specifies that Intel is only the biggest purchaser of green energy.

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]How do companies purchase >100% green energy? There's two of them (HSBC and AMD). Do they store some of it in capacitors/batteries? Are they buying more than they use and share it with the surrounding community?[/citation]
They are most likely selling the excess energy back to the power companies. But they buy more to account for the higher energy demands for the future. Just my guess.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]AMD is going down... look it uses 74m kwh and intel uses 2.84b kwh (2.5/0.88). it shows just how small amd is and even if they do come up with something great in short run they are bound to lose in a long run. intel has so many projects going on that some of them must be successfull while amd depends on luck[/citation]

Remember the chip manufacturing arm of AMD was spin off. I suppose we would need to see the energy need of Global Foundries to better compare the two companies.

I would see Nvidia is the one green with envy, it is also written in their name !

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]wolfram23[/nom]Well that's good to see. We just need more green energy sources! Luckily I'm trying to get the Helios solar plant operational... in New Vegas... *lol*[/citation]

That sounds like a fun project.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I love Intel & I'm not a tree hugger, I don't believe in globe warming, (they LIE). But how can a company that produces the most unnatural product be "green"? Just because a company buys a few dollars of energy? The media thinks we are that stupid & some of us are, LOL.

Does anyone remember being taught about the coming "Ice Age". Now is Globe Warming.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Who is your mysterious "they" as in "they LIE"? Hard to dispute climate change when the evidence is all around us (quite literally).

Tesla1483

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirty Durden[/nom]I love Intel & I'm not a tree hugger, I don't believe in globe warming, (they LIE). But how can a company that produces the most unnatural product be "green"? Just because a company buys a few dollars of energy? The media thinks we are that stupid & some of us are, LOL.Does anyone remember being taught about the coming "Ice Age". Now is Globe Warming.[/citation]

...And here come the anti-climate change conspiracy theorists. A lot (LOT) of research has been conducted on this topic, and scientists across the globe are virtually unanimous in their conclusions that it is very real. And besides, even if you're not a tree-hugger and you don't believe in global warming, the use of green energy is still a good thing nonetheless. Less dependence on an ever-shrinking supply of oil (the number one producer of which is Saudi Arabia, although the US gets most of its from Canada.) Plus, it produces much less pollution, which is good for the environment. And the environment is pretty important, because we kinda, ya know, live in it.

I'm usually an AMD person myself, but kudos to Intel as well for their support of clean and sustainable energy resources.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I may be ignorant to how this works, but does this really offset the non-green energy people use, or does it just shift that to someone else?

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cyrusfox[/nom]Its all sort of a farce, they buy the energy, but they consume whatever is on the grid. Its pretty much a trade off. Not every Kohl store is hooked to a grid with sufficient Green energy. Green energy doesn't have the consistency nor throughput to actually deliver the power require by most these organizations, so they purchase the energy as an offset and claim they are green. They couldn't survive on current green technology. Fact is, Coal is still king of Electricity.Also TMK, Intel in Revenues makes 20 times more than AMD, a much bigger corporation. Are you trying to correlate energy consumption with Commercial Success? How odd.May energy innovation continue to get better. Just wish the lame politics and publicity grabs would subside.[/citation]

I work for an energy co-op in NC, we are required to purchase 10% of the energy we distribute (we, like most co-ops, don't actually produce energy)from green sources. We have a solar array that we purchase power from in our area and a local hydro-dam (both owned by private energy companies), along with big wind out of Texas with some other out of state credits. This green energy is purchased at a rate of 17cent/KWhr give or take, and sold to our members for ~9cents/KWhr. Now companies and home owners can choose to purchase "green energy" meaning they pay a higher rate per KWhr to help offset our costs. You are totally correct that the energy they get is most likely a coal-fired green credit, but they are paying the bills for someone somewhere who is producing green power. And that is what is important green energy is being purchased by someone.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Who is your mysterious "they" as in "they LIE"? Hard to dispute climate change when the evidence is all around us (quite literally).[/citation]

I think he means they as in those who believe the climate is changing because of us. The evidence does indicate the climate is shifting but the current heating and cooling directly correlates with solar activity going up and down as it does. Global warming and cooling are a natural occurring phenomenon. in the long run assuming we can pump enough co2 to tip the balance of gas's in the air then sure then we will see some changes that happen and fluctuate with the co2 levels and not just solar output. That doesn't mean im against this or green energy's of course im all for it and hope it keeps growing. Now when it comes to these things and health i do 100% believe that these pollutants cause major health problems.

@huron What they are really doing is supporting the company's that make green energy. This energy is already being pumped into the grid but with the billions these company's push into it the more they can produce relaxing the need for toxic pollution causing sources. Eventually however they will figure out an efficient way of making energy in a natural none polluting way and well it will be all gone. So grats intel and everyone else who supports the foundation for this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS