[SOLVED] Intel is the New performance/$ Choice?

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Hey everyone, I was going to do a new build for a friend and started looking at CPU and Chipset combos. I noticed Intel has the 9100f on Newegg for 99.99, regular price (not on sale). I looked at CPU bench and saw that it is only 1% slower than the Ryzen 5 3600 and almost $100 cheaper. Not only that, it actually beats the other Ryzen CPU in its price class. What do you guys think? Is it possible that Intel is Actually the better value now, and Ryzen riding the wave of popularity is priced too high?

Solution
It will depend on the application. For lightly threaded applications that do not benefit from the Ryzen's larger caches, the performance is very similar. For all other applications, the Ryzen is much faster.

-DD

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hey everyone, I was going to do a new build for a friend and started looking at CPU and Chipset combos. I noticed Intel has the 9100f on Newegg for 99.99, regular price (not on sale). I looked at CPU bench and saw that it is only 1% slower than the Ryzen 5 3600 and almost $100 cheaper. Not only that, it actually beats the other Ryzen CPU in its price class. What do you guys think? Is it possible that Intel is Actually the better value now, and Ryzen riding the wave of popularity is priced too high?
I don't know where you read that, but I'm pretty sure the 3600 destroys the 9100f in everything (maybe not so much in gaming, but the 3600 is surely better than the 9100f).

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
no one should ver consider a intel i3, also intel is about to present the new socket lga1200 and that i3 will disapear, because the new i3 will have 4 cores and 8 threads, making this cpu look like garbage

not only that, this cpu, the i3 9100f does not have a integrated intel hd gpu, so you need a gpu, when compared to a r3 2200g it wipes the floor with it basically, because you can overclock the r3 and it also has a vega 8 gpu integrated

the comparison against the r5 3600 is unfair, just based on the core count it has 2 more cores, the r5 has 12 threads, is a monster in terms of price and performance, is perfect for budget limited builder making a video editing pc

don't buy intel cpus right now, wait until the 10th gen comes, ignore such comparisons, it is a comparison making look a banana the same as a watermelon and saying the banana will feed more people

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
i3 9100f for gaming is a bad idea unless you pair it with a very low end video card (1050ti), then its probably a good idea. Else your CPU will become a bottleneck with a higher end card - wasting the money you spent on your GPU. You don't want a CPU bottleneck.

Like others said wait till low end 10th gen desktop comes out if you want a good budget Intel gaming cpu. I think Intel said there might be some 10nm variants coming in the low end. I'm curious to see how they game ...