News Intel is trucking a 916,000-pound 'Super Load' across Ohio to its new fab, spawning road closures over nine days

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I can’t imagine this doesn’t cause damage to the roads or is this what they are dealing with? That much weight is intense on pavement. Hopefully some of the spectators shoot video and post on youtube so I can see this spectacle. ODOT themselves should share more. I love this sort of thing.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
They use special trailer trucks that are designed to distribute the load. AFAIK they don't exceed the axle load limit for the road they travel on, and they move slowly so the wear and tear on the road is not as high as you'd think.
It's pretty fun to watch these on youtube from an aerial time lapse

Reactions: OLDKnerd and rtoaht

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Adult or baby sized elephants?
African or Indian elephants?

A number of regular fully-loaded semi trucks would have been a far more effective analogue; Not only do very few people have an instinct for how much elephants weigh, African elephants are much heavier than Indian ones (~1.6×).

(Brings to mind Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the discussion on various species of swallows and their respective coconut-carrying capacities.)

Oct 12, 2023
280 feet is not longer than 100 yards.
The box is 23 feet tall, 20 feet wide, and 280 feet long, nearly the length of a football field.

Are you trolling the reporter or is comprehension not you're strong suit ?
The opererative word in the sentence is "nearly". He never it said was the length of a football field, he said it nearly was.

Jun 12, 2024
So just 1 truck pulling, that must mean when we Danes move stuff, well our trucks must be anemic ( hint they are not VS US trucks at least )

Trucks here probably) 700 BHP each.

iu

The wings for our largest turbines are about 110 M long, that's about 360 feet give or take.

that box in the picture that's 40 feet or so MAX

Last edited:

alan.campbell99

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
African or Indian elephants?

A number of regular fully-loaded semi trucks would have been a far more effective analogue; Not only do very few people have an instinct for how much elephants weigh, African elephants are much heavier than Indian ones (~1.6×).

(Brings to mind Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the discussion on various species of swallows and their respective coconut-carrying capacities.)
My thoughts exactly 🙂

kb7rky

Prominent
May 11, 2023
Still won't be able to run Starfield :p

...and, for the love of God, Montressor...don't let the tree-huggers see this! They'll bury those oversize load haulers in so many lawsuits, their great grandkids will be fighting them.

FUN FACT: Around 10 years ago, Lewiston, ID had two oversize loads shipped in that were headed to Montana (quickest overland route). The environmentalist zealots (emphasis mine) got wind of these, and filed lawsuit after baseless lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit, claiming they were disrupting the "natural environment", and "going to lose control of their vehicles and drive into the rivers", etc. etc. etc. Kinda funny how Mammoet (the heavy-hauling company) took extra pains to ensure none of those "tree huggers" fears would ever come to pass.

FUN FACT #2: Not only did the company not "lose control" of their vehicles, nor "disrupted the natural environment", they got those oversize loads to Montana without so much as dislodging a few rocks from the cliffsides all along US 12. What should have taken a few days, though, took them over a year, because the tree huggers were successful in delaying those loads for months.

Reactions: Rabohinf

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
The box is 23 feet tall, 20 feet wide, and 280 feet long, nearly the length of a football field.

Are you trolling the reporter or is comprehension not you're strong suit ?
The opererative word in the sentence is "nearly". He never it said was the length of a football field, he said it nearly was.
It didn't say nearly before it's been edited.

Reactions: Rabohinf
Jun 13, 2024
I can’t imagine this doesn’t cause damage to the roads or is this what they are dealing with? That much weight is intense on pavement. Hopefully some of the spectators shoot video and post on youtube so I can see this spectacle. ODOT themselves should share more. I love this sort of thing.
Most damage to roads is done by semis. The damage a vehicle does to a road surface is proportional to axle load^4. The logistics industry's miniscule share of road usage fees amounts to the single largest subsidy in the US when you consider trucking accounts for nearly all vehicle-related damage to roads surfaces.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four...fourth power law (also,power of the axle load.