News Intel Issues Kaby Lake-G Driver Up After 12 Months, But It Comes From AMD

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This is certainly a bad experience from Intel. If they don't want to support it, at least open it up and let users download drivers from AMD. It should not take a year before they allow people to do that. I am not sure what is the motive of restricting, but it certainly backfires at them for poor after sales support.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
This is normal and not much of a story.

You could always install the latest AMD GPU driver, the risk is the same anytime you update a GPU driver, you could have issues though(That still does not go away as these are not actively being validated).
It is the same with a laptops and discrete GPU, go take a look at the graphic drivers included from the manufactureres website, Usually it is the original driver when the laptop released... You can always update to latest(Some for like HP you need to install directly but there is always a way to add them). The OEM/manufacturers seldom will revalidate old platforms unless there isa big performance or security bug included in the initial drivers. That's why this is expected behavior, you'll get a functioning driver from the OEM, but if you want the best performance you'll ahve to take the risk of using a direct AMD/NVIDIA driver that was just released but hasn't been and likely never will be fully validated for your unique product.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I've stopped using OEM drivers that do not come in Windows 10 updates.
I rebuilt my 2012 PC with Windows 10 two weeks ago and I used no OEM drivers.
About 6 months ago I had the latest nVidia driver for my Geforce GT 690 video card and I started having an issue with a particular new application. I uninstalled the nVidia driver from nVidia and let Windows 10 download an update of a video driver that was about 6 months older and all my problems disappeared.