INTEL ITANIUM CHIEFTAIN DEFECTS TO AMD

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
So that means AMD is doomed since Itanium pretty much sucks and that guy will apply his Itanium skills in designing AMD chips.

hhhhmmmm Groovy

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
*sniff* Whats that smell?.....

*sniff sniff* Oh yeah, its a no competition clause lawsuit.

I doubt Intel is going to sit idly by and let a main processor designer leave and go to the competition to do the same thing. Same as the MS Exec that went to Google.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
So that means AMD is doomed since Itanium pretty much sucks and that guy will apply his Itanium skills in designing AMD chips.

hhhhmmmm Groovy

:lol: :lol:

Not really. The thing about these guys is that they're forced by Intel to design something that they usually don't like. That's a big difference between AMD and Intel engineers since AMD's staff works in a more cooperative environment.

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
doubt Intel is going to sit idly by and let a main processor designer leave and go to the competition to do the same thing. Same as the MS Exec that went to Google.

This will be the second Intel engineer that's joining the "green arrow" team.
I don't know if there've being more that flew away from Intel (correct me if I'm wrong).

9-Inch: I was going to post that. :evil:
Sorry to hurt your feelings. 8)

That guy must be dumb at least his dumbness perfectly fits to AMD *lolz*

^^ This is the kind of pointless immature fanboy junk I hate. It's one thing to make a constructive comment based on fact and it's another to take the time to type something pointless such as, "yUR mOM, LOLERCOASTERXOR!!"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Quote:
9-Inch: I was going to post that.

Sorry to hurt your feelings

Maybe you were the first one posting that, but I found this info which says it all. :lol:

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?NewsID=359&date=03-28-2006#359
AMD executives recently disclosed that they were working on two brand new MPU designs, in addition to everything already in their pipeline. One design is targeted for mobile products, the other for servers. One of the two will also be modified for use in desktop systems. Given that AMD is also working on the K8L, which is slated for release in 2007, we were curious where they had managed to find the design resources for these projects. The answer lies in Fort Collins, the epicenter of Intel’s Itanium design efforts.

We recently learned that Sam Naffziger, formerly an Intel Fellow and Director of Itanium Circuits and Technology, has departed from Intel. Before leaving, he was responsible for the design of Montecito (a dual core, dual threaded Itanium processor), which has been delayed by nearly a year due to problems with an extremely interesting and aggressive dynamic feedback mechanism, codenamed Foxton. Foxton integrated an on-die ammeter that measures current, and a microcontroller that can dynamically adjust voltage and frequency based on measured results. Naffziger joined AMD in late February or early March, and will help start a Fort Collins design center.

AMD initially aims to hire 30 designers in Fort Collins, but will increase the head count to 200 if there are enough interested engineers. Managers from AMD moved to the area in early January to set up an office; they have posted ads in the local paper also held a job fair.

The real question is what the team at AMD’s Fort Collins design center focus on. Considering that most of the engineers in the area have worked on PA-RISC or Itanium, it seems reasonable to expect that they will concentrate on the server side, rather than on desktop or mobile MPUs. Either way, this should open up some interesting possibilities for AMD, and some new opportunities for Colorado residents.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
That guy must be dumb at least his dumbness perfectly fits to AMD *lolz*
WTF was that? Even YOU Ycon must admit that Intel didn't do as good AMD these last few years. If you can't, you are sadly mistaken. I forgot, fanboys don't listen to facts, they eat up what ever crap their favorite company feeds them.

RichPLS

Champion
Come on wil ya, gotta admit there is more prestige with working with the biggest chipmaker, and unless your moving to a smaller company as CEO or something much higher in rank, the move would not be a boost to the ego...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

hhhhmmmm Groovy

The Itanium sucks for 2 reasons:

1) Emulation of x86 Instructions (Windows XP 64-bit is the huge reason for this emulation sucking)

2) 128-bit Front Side Bus (as we know, wider the bus = higher latency)

Other than that, the Itanium is a great CPU, the L3 Cache needs to be optimized and reduced to a reasonable level, after that, the CPU should be pretty damn good.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

endyen

Splendid
You also gotta love that Itanic incorporated an FPU in the cache. Nice trick.
I mean the capabilities of montecito are insane. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the world.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
As much as I dislike Itanium, because of its weaknesses it's strengths are nothing to be sneered at.
Clock for clock it is considerably faster than anything else out there.
We all know that it's Floating point capabilies are fantanstic, but even at an integer level it is still faster clock for clock than Opteron or power5 for that matter. They just can't get the clock speed out of it
If you look at any decent server benchmarks (see http://www50.sap.com/benchmarkdata/sd2tier.asp) for some ERP database comparison with all other popular architectures
you'll see that in low CPU count configurations a 1.6GHz with 9mb Itanium is faster than a 2.2GHz opteron. However as the number of CPUs goes up its lead goes down considerably. It does however scale to vastly more CPUs than Opteron does at the moment (64way).
Now comine its strengths with AMDs strengths (OMC/Hypertransport) and you will have an absolute killer.
If intel introduced a point to point connection with a built OMC, they could get rid of the 9mb of cache, or even better why not subsitute it with Z-RAM for cache with the onboard controller.
I wonder if AMDs strategy is to concentrate on the server space, move out of the high end desktop space, but use the desktop space for proving single threaded performance in the mid range.
Once the desktop CPU space has moved towards a multithreaded model, AMD will be able to pounce again with the experience gained in the server space.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Itanium's main weakness was never its [different] 64-bit implementation, its cache size, nor its [wide] bus interface: EPIC (aka IA-64) is a technological feat, a landmark of creativity in the computing landscape. Its main weakness is the x86 ISA. And, it's within this x86 field both AMD & Intel will be showing off their brand new weapons.

IBM will, probably, spread Cell into the consumer [PC] space... and I'm sure they're well aware of both IA-64 & x86...

Cheers!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Itanium's main weakness was never its [different] 64-bit implementation, its cache size, nor its [wide] bus interface: EPIC (aka IA-64) is a technological feat, a landmark of creativity in the computing landscape. Its main weakness is the x86 ISA. And, it's within this x86 field both AMD & Intel will be showing off their brand new weapons.

IBM will, probably, spread Cell into the consumer [PC] space... and I'm sure they're well aware of both IA-64 & x86...

Cheers!

It's 128-bit Front Side Bus is bad for Coherency (or does that concept allude you??), hence why using an 8-bit HyperTransport is better for coherency than a 16-bit or 32-bit. o_O

I also 2nd the Cell crap, no way can that ever be in mainstream desktop, that was stupid to say...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

endyen

Splendid
And maybe he just wanted to go to a company that made him feel at home. He probably got tired of hearing all the conroe bs.
As an Itanic circuit designer, I'd bet that he could draw out a better performer than conroe, during afternoon tea.