Intel Ivy Bridge Getting USB 3.0, Thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

About time. It's no coincidence that AMD made USB3 announcement earlier this week and Intel follows. It's a shame it's taking this long for Superspeed to get rolled out.

Yeah, it took a while for 1.1 & 2.0 to get implemented, but those were substantial upgrades in an uncertain market. The market demand for 480MB/s is clear, and the standard hasn't changed that much that a bunch of engineers can't solve the differences.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Artimissmo? what planet do you come from...

USB 3.0 should be great once it goes mainstream, however i doubt the normal user cares or knows the difference

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Lets cut the BS Intel, you're procrastinating to push your Light Peak technology now called by that horrible Thunderbolt name (guy who came up with that should be fired). You're not fooling anyone when USB 3.0 was pretty much finalized back at the very end of 2009 when you say it'll take at least 2-3 years to fully implement in your chipsets.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Leaps-from-Shadows[/nom]Yay! Superspeed and Thunderbolt!...wait...Will these systems be too fast? I mean c'mon, with all the fast-sounding names, they've gotta be too fast for us. lol[/citation]

That does make me wonder if we'll have bottlenecks like we had with the 1156/155 sockets. Granted most of the new stuff will likely be moved over to chipset and avoid using PCI-E lanes, but how much bandwidth will you have for these devices?

Eh, who knows.

G

Ivy Bridge will make AMD's products look worse than today. Hopefully, 2012 is the year when Intel finish AMD and put it in the toilet.

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]will lga1155 supports ivy bridge prosessor? thats matter much.[/citation]

2011 for four channels of DDR3 if that's what you want
maybe intel will release 2012 slot year 2012 ;-)

G

@Maddoctor

because ivy bridge is 50% faster then sandy bridge right.......

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Maddoctor[/nom]Ivy Bridge will make AMD's products look worse than today. Hopefully, 2012 is the year when Intel finish AMD and put it in the toilet.[/citation]
My last AMD system was a cutting edge brand new blazing 1.6GHz solo core, ha.
My money may be on Intel these days for my gaming rig, but I intend to build a HTPC sometime in the near future, and it will be AMD. Intel does make some nice powerful chips, but when you want something cheap, all they offer basically is that damned Atom, and I would use my Pentium D again before using one of those chips.
2.5GHz quad core with a 5770 1GB and 4GB RAM sounds pretty nice and cheap to me (especially since I have a unused 5770) as a budget secondary PC and HTPC.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]My last AMD system was a cutting edge brand new blazing 1.6GHz solo core, ha.My money may be on Intel these days for my gaming rig, but I intend to build a HTPC sometime in the near future, and it will be AMD. Intel does make some nice powerful chips, but when you want something cheap, all they offer basically is that damned Atom, and I would use my Pentium D again before using one of those chips.2.5GHz quad core with a 5770 1GB and 4GB RAM sounds pretty nice and cheap to me (especially since I have a unused 5770) as a budget secondary PC and HTPC.[/citation]

i3 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.