Intel Ivy Bridge Systems Now Slated for 1H 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
more waiting, thanks..
to me not really a big deal, I'm still rockin' a sick i5-760 (phys-x) unit with a strong clock and optimal hardware to go with..
it's my AM2+ units with nVidia chipsets has me is waiting on AM3+ Bulldozer nVidia SLI boards (990X's) first anyways..:D
so go ahead and delay the launch but wait, AMD and Bulldozer is delayed again too...
WTF.? :pfff:
at least AMD/Bulldozer should be out this year.... LOL
hopefully like the report says in July or whatever.

jaghpanther

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
The persistent rumors that Ivy Bridge would be out towards the end of this year made me hold out on going with SB, now about another year to go, I am getting an SB now (and probably regret it when IB does get here) =\

verbalizer

Distinguished

nobody knows that for sure..
I'm sure you have read the threads and other on-line info on it as well.
it's all speculation at the moment..

verbalizer

Distinguished
I'll probably end up with one of both Intel/Ivy and AMD/Bulldozer to be honest.
I do not know of course yet how these set-up will be, but one day..
whenever that will be.

dgingeri

Distinguished
How much you wanna bet this is because of preliminary reports of the performance of AMD's Bulldozer chips? All of a sudden, Intel isn't as afraid of the competition, so they start delaying chip releases to milk more out of the current ones.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Who cares if they're being released q1 2012.. they're releasing faster than SLOW AMD is.. Ivy Bridge is going to eat AMD alive.. downrate me all you want AMD fanboys.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Just to give this a positive spin for AMD, it could be yield issues causing the delay. I'm also not sure if the 3D architecture is all that well suited for faster clocks due to heat transfer issues.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]jaghpanther[/nom]The persistent rumors that Ivy Bridge would be out towards the end of this year made me hold out on going with SB, now about another year to go, I am getting an SB now (and probably regret it when IB does get here) =\[/citation]
I can't recall Ivy Bridge ever being slated for a Q4 2011 release, but if it ever was that's really old news. For as long as I can remember every leaked road map placed Sandy Bridge-E in Q4 2011 followed by Ivy Bridge in Q1 2012, so I'm not really sure what this article is talking about. But I guess Intel is being a little more ambiguous about their release schedule now, saying 1H 2012 instead.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]Just to give this a positive spin for AMD, it could be yield issues causing the delay. I'm also not sure if the 3D architecture is all that well suited for faster clocks due to heat transfer issues.[/citation]
First time I've heard of those issues...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4313/intel-announces-first-22nm-3d-trigate-transistors-shipping-in-2h-2011

Lower TDP, higher performance per watt, higher transistor density, lower voltages, significantly higher clocks thanks to faster switching speeds. All positives so far.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
This is bad news for consumers but good for AMD so it can have more time to compete with Intel’s Sandy Bridge, and maybe with Sandy Bridge E.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
How long has Bulldozer's release been "just around the corner"? It seems like it has been at least a couple of years.. It is beginning to seem like the DNF of CPUs.

Also, last November I was at a conference and I saw that same slide showing Ivy Bridge in late Q1/early Q2 of 2012. I suppose that since the slide is out there already I am no longer bound by the Intel confidential agreement (not an NDA but very similar to one, kind of like a weak NDA).

hannibal

Distinguished
If the road map is right, does it mean that Ivy Bridge comes first in the mainstream segment? Sandy seems to hold extreme and premium segments allso in 2012...
Any news about that?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It will be worth the wait, for anyone who can hold out on building a new rig wait. Trust me it will be well worth it. Now I have said too much already and will leave it at that.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]If the road map is right, does it mean that Ivy Bridge comes first in the mainstream segment? Sandy seems to hold extreme and premium segments allso in 2012...Any news about that?[/citation]
That's Sandy Bridge-E, X79, LGA 2011, in the high-end extreme segment. It's not the current LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge which Ivy Bridge is slated to replace in the performance/mainstream segments. Ivy Bridge isn't intended for the high end segment and will not replace Sandy Bridge-E on LGA 2011. Hopefully Intel intends to do a 22nm process shrink of Sandy Bridge-E later in the year as well, but this might not happen due to their tight tick-tock release schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.