[SOLVED] Intel K vs KF

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Hi guys.
I'm about to purchase the I5 10600K/KF.
I know that the only difference is that the "KF" doesn't have an IGP.
Sadly, the "KF" is out of stock for nobody knows how long in pretty much every store in my country(they all assume it's gonna be about a week).
The "K" model is available but for about 35$ more and while I really wanna make this purchase before this weekend, I'm trying to find justification for that price difference.
Anyone has experience troubleshooting with the non IGP CPUs? I remember one time I screwed up my BiOS and what saved me was the IGP because the GPU graphics were gone or something.
So, is there and justification for paying 35$ for the "K" model except for my lack of patience?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well personally I wouldn't want to have a system with only one GPU, and I wouldn't baulk at shelling out an extra $35. Not exactly a fortune is it?

For some people, $35 actually breaks the budget. However, I do agree with the sentiment. I would much rather purchase the "K" version over the "KF" version and (budget allowing) would not hesitate to get that, just for the sake of having on-board graphics available should my graphic card fail.

-Wolf sends

Full disclosure: Yes, I know I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 which doesn't have an IGP, but I do have several spare graphic cards available to me.

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Well personally I wouldn't want to have a system with only one GPU, and I wouldn't baulk at shelling out an extra $35. Not exactly a fortune is it?
For some people, $35 actually breaks the budget. However, I do agree with the sentiment. I would much rather purchase the "K" version over the "KF" version and (budget allowing) would not hesitate to get that, just for the sake of having on-board graphics available should my graphic card fail.

-Wolf sends

Full disclosure: Yes, I know I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 which doesn't have an IGP, but I do have several spare graphic cards available to me.

Thanks guys, exactly what I wanted to hear, now I'm on to searching for a mobo---> https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/z490-motherboard.3616385/

If your budget can afford a i5-10600KF, I would think it could afford $35 more for integrated graphics of a i5-10600K.
Even though I have a discrete graphics card, I like to do my initial assembly and testing using the integrated graphics.

On which motherboard, pay attention to the voltage regulation if you are overclocking.
I use MATX because I have a space restricted case.
I have no plans to upgrade now, but I did look at the MATX offerings.
My perception is that the voltage handling capabilities of the Z490 MATX motherboards were not as good as the full ATX offerings. perhaps 12+2 power stages.
That is probably ok with a 10600K but perhaps not with the stronger processors.

Probably you should read the reviews of the offerings to see if there is one you like.

Reactions: laker1706

laker1706

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
If your budget can afford a i5-10600KF, I would think it could afford $35 more for integrated graphics of a i5-10600K.
Even though I have a discrete graphics card, I like to do my initial assembly and testing using the integrated graphics.

On which motherboard, pay attention to the voltage regulation if you are overclocking.
I use MATX because I have a space restricted case.
I have no plans to upgrade now, but I did look at the MATX offerings.
My perception is that the voltage handling capabilities of the Z490 MATX motherboards were not as good as the full ATX offerings. perhaps 12+2 power stages.
That is probably ok with a 10600K but perhaps not with the stronger processors.

Probably you should read the reviews of the offerings to see if there is one you like.

I could barely find any reviews for 10th gen mobos...

I could barely find any reviews for 10th gen mobos...
I just a watched a review, and while I can't completely recommend a motherboard, I do strongly suggest not going with ASRock boards right now because they seem to be having a lot of issues with VRM's even with an i5 10600K. MSI Z490-A PRO and Asus Prime Z490-P both did extremely well even with an i9 10900K in this test, so maybe go with one of those(cannot say about other features, just that VRM setup is good on those two).

Reactions: laker1706