Intel Launches Core i7-3632QM Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Darn. Was hoping for a desktop CPU. Didn't read much, but this 35w increase will help with batteries! Good job Intel. Hey, at least one company is "innovating".

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
It would be nice if the $1000 mobile CPUs also supported some OCing. I understand that laptops shouldn't be OC'ed, but you'd think a laptop with a $1000 CPU would have more than enough cooling for light OCing (no voltage adjustments).

thefizzle656

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]It would be nice if the $1000 mobile CPUs also supported some OCing. I understand that laptops shouldn't be OC'ed, but you'd think a laptop with a $1000 CPU would have more than enough cooling for light OCing (no voltage adjustments).[/citation]

Actually I'm pretty sure that the one $1000 mobile CPU that Intel sells (I believe the i7-3920XM) does support mild overclocking.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Wow a 35w quad core mobile chip, finally! I guess at the 14nm Haswell shrink they'll be able to get clockspeed close to 3GHZ continuous at that TDP and by that time we'll see 6-core laptop chips.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
When was the last time did one SKU get a headline? Most SKUs get a silent launch. It's no big deal, especially if it's just a lower-binned (and unsurprisingly, lower TDP) part. Must be a slow day at Tom's.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]i have it! and i ordered a 3610qm before it came out. exoticpc ppl are awesome! free upgrade[/citation]

whoops my mistake thought it was about the new 2.4 ghz one that just popped up! well part of the article is but i ordered a 2.3ghz got the new 2.4!

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Or at least give undervolting options.[/citation]

Expanding on this, They really should enable it with a warning in the BIOS. No over-volting options, just tweaking lower.

In reality no chip is made equally, each one will require slightly different voltage for maximum stability.
However, they need to push a constant voltage that covers all the chips, even if that means it's 0.xx volts over what's required for the chip in your specific laptop.

Fix? Option in the BIOS, user accept the warning prompt, they undervolt for more battery life until the system has the lowest stable voltage.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]thefizzle656[/nom]Actually I'm pretty sure that the one $1000 mobile CPU that Intel sells (I believe the i7-3920XM) does support mild overclocking.[/citation]

I've read that the highest end Sandybridge mobile i7 couldn't be easily OC'ed. A first gen mobile i7 could actually be OC'ed enough to outclass the SB.

G

As somebody whose work laptop is a 45w Intel Sandy Bridge quad with Nvidia discrete GPU, and whose home laptop is a 35w a10 series quad core APU, I have to say that I prefer the a10 hands down. Getting it down to 35w is a step in the right direction. If they can get enough GPU grunt into it to not require discrete graphics, they might have a chance of getting me back as a customer next time.

[citation][nom]tului[/nom]Can we get a 65W Ivy Bridge-E please? My light bill in the summer is killing me![/citation]

At about the same frequencies, quad core Sandy to quad core Ivy is only a what, 20% drop in power consumption? You don't really think that doing the same to SB-E will be enough to cut power consumption roughly in half, do you? I think that you're asking for too much unless you want a 2.6GHz or so model.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I've read that the highest end Sandybridge mobile i7 couldn't be easily OC'ed. A first gen mobile i7 could actually be OC'ed enough to outclass the SB.[/citation]

That's still almost definitely at the heavy sacrifice of power consumption. If you don't care about power consumption, then why noI think that it's only fair if we also mention the several laptops with a stock-clocked i7-3930K or 3960X.

G

A Bad Day wrote: "I understand that laptops shouldn't be OC'ed"

I disagree. I think all notebooks should be overclocked. I'm paying a lot of money, and I would appreciate the option to watch it melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.