Intel Launches Eight Core, 16 Thread Nehalem-EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great and all, but come on guys. We're going to need more than cores. 100 cores at 2ghz each might be nice, but to be honest, I'd rather have 20 cores at 10ghz each.

What I'm saying is, I'd rather we see improvements against the hertz barrier, not the core/threading. I mean, if we get an 8,000mhz processor, give each core 4 threads! (Though I do not know if this is possible (I don't know how hyperthreading works) ).

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
It'll be nice when this hits the consumer market. I would love to see how after effects performs on that. Also, in paragraph 2 I think you meant 4,096 threads, not 4,098.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
so anyone taking bets as to how long it will be before we see 8 core desktops? 6 core xeons came out 2 years ago this july IIRC and we just got 6 core desktops (*and they only cost your first born son).

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]brett1042002[/nom]Duck Hunt[/citation]

Speaking of duck hunt, I recently tried to play duck hunt on my old nintendo only to find out that the game does not work with LCD screens...

It was a bit of a disappointment, but I guess I shoulda known.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I'm waiting for some manufacturer to jam one in a laptop just to prove they could.[/citation]

Eurocom has a laptop with the Core i7 975 in it, as well as quad core xeons at 3.2 GHz, so it's probably going to happen sooner rather than later. Eurocom also offers a server grade laptop.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Speaking of duck hunt, I recently tried to play duck hunt on my old nintendo only to find out that the game does not work with LCD screens...It was a bit of a disappointment, but I guess I shoulda known.[/citation]
Why doesn't it work on LCD screens? I never quite understood how it worked anyway. There's no sensor bar!! Or any kind of calibration. +1 Vintage Nintendo

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
They released the 6 core, and i was thinking "ok, cool. It's great to see CPU technology progressing"

Now... Now i can't help but think "Why? Is this really necessary"

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]This is a downpour on AMD's parade.[/citation]

Why? It's way more expensive than their solutions. If you can shell out the cash you can use Intel and if you have a tighter budget you can choose AMD. The fact that both companies have released new server-oriented processors with different price points is good news since nobody would be forced to pay a premium or get stuck with older tech.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]It's great to see CPU technology progressing"Now... Now i can't help but think "Why? Is this really necessary"[/citation]
It's only necessary for large servers that are either:
A. Doing scientific research (as the article states, bringing x86 to higher end supercomputer levels)
B. Acting as the host OS for multiple virtual machine servers.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Where the HELL did the core battle come from!!??

Anyway, I would love to own a PC and a MacPro (hate all you want). A MacPro with TWOOOO 16 thread chips!? Woot! lol

niteshadow53

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
@Tindytim: Yes it's only necessary for large servers... But why would you get that when AMD has a better price/performance?

On another note, Is anyone else annoyed with the survey things that keep popping up?

BigBurn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008

At any given moment, there is only 1 pixel that is lighten on a CRT (big old) television. But each of them get lighten up many times per second so the human eye doesn't sees it. BUT the gun can, and when you shoot, it measure how long untill it detects light coming from TV (remember, only one pixel is making light on the screen) and if it takes X seconds it can determine that you aimed the Y pixel.

Thats basicly how it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.