News Intel Launches Granite Rapids Xeon 6900P series with 120 cores — matches AMD EPYC’s core counts for the first time since 2017

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

atmapuri

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
The question remains, if Intel still plans to sub-license parts of the logic on these new chips as it was the plan with the previous generation. One License for AVX512, one license for Neural Engine etc... Or will this be also pricewise direct competition to AMD.

If the product is better, this alone will not be enough, if the CPU, the platform, the memory etc.. will cost 2x more than competition.

JRStern

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2017
I have a hundred very geeky questions about how these high core counts work in common IT scenarios, having been a performance tuner for medium to large-scale systems over the past decade or two, and seeing how many problems there are with "noisy neighbors" on shared systems, plus or minus VMs all over the place. Makes it devilishly hard to get performance data to even analyze, when your performance can vary 2x or 10x because the neighbors are throwing a party, and with 128 neighbors seems like someone is always throwing a party.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
This time Intel did a great job : Phoronix
Yeah, but you have to keep in mind that those are comparing against AMD's previous generation EPYCs - not the Zen 5 they're about to launch next month. Plus, you should consider than these are using 500 W each, whereas Genoa is normally limited to just 360 W.

I did skim through the benchmarks on Phoronix. AMD still got some wins and the Geomean is probably a little closer that I would've expected. It should be easy for Turin to retake the lead, overall.

STH also has benchmarks posted:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The question remains, if Intel still plans to sub-license parts of the logic on these new chips as it was the plan with the previous generation. One License for AVX512, one license for Neural Engine etc... Or will this be also pricewise direct competition to AMD.
Do you mean like requiring people to pay extra to use those features? Intel did indeed roll out "Intel On Demand", but it's not at the granularity of what you're saying. Instead, it applied to more specialized accelerators.

If the product is better, this alone will not be enough, if the CPU, the platform, the memory etc.. will cost 2x more than competition.
Yeah, these look huge. Cost and power should be significant considerations. So far, I have yet to see power consumption data, so all we have to go on in their 500 W TDP.

Reactions: cyrusfox

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I have a hundred very geeky questions about how these high core counts work in common IT scenarios, having been a performance tuner for medium to large-scale systems over the past decade or two, and seeing how many problems there are with "noisy neighbors" on shared systems, plus or minus VMs all over the place. Makes it devilishly hard to get performance data to even analyze, when your performance can vary 2x or 10x because the neighbors are throwing a party, and with 128 neighbors seems like someone is always throwing a party.
Well, they have some QoS mechanisms, which can be used to keep other cores from hogging too much L3 cache, for instance. I'm not sure if memory bandwidth is budgeted in a similar way.

AMD might have some advantages in this area, given how their L3 is segmented. If your VMs are generally small enough to fit on individual CCDs, then you'd probably tend to find EPYC scales better. However, I don't have any direct experience in matter.

Reactions: JRStern
Seems like the extra bandwidth from the MCRDIMMs ought to give Intel an edge AMD won't be able to match this generation for appropriate workloads. I'm looking forward to seeing where Zen 5 stands out since we're finally getting matched core counts and TDP. I have no doubt there will be workloads that the new architecture just runs away with.
So far, I have yet to see power consumption data, so all we have to go on in their 500 W TDP.
STH said peak estimate of 1.2kW for their 2S reference system before cooling and that the CPUs can absolutely use all 500W. They also had an Intel provided slide that showed power/performance scaling over the curve. Won't have meaningful numbers until OEM systems are out though I imagine.

edit: I did enjoy Patrick's commentary on how fussy the system was

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
That's interesting, should help, but going to be tricky as all to manage.
When there's 127 people between you and the buffet, QoS is difficult.
This page gives an overview of some (all?) of Intel's QoS technologies. Given that Xen has implemented them, I would assume most other hypervisors have, as well.

Exactly how the hypervisor presents QoS to administrators is another matter, but you can now be aware of some of the technologies, their capabilities and limitations, that are used under the hood.

Reactions: JRStern
honestly...these would need to be a good 15-20%+ better than AMD's EPYC.

AMD's are MUCH more pwoer efficient so if they cant be comparable for the huge power difference servers and all will not buy them as they cost more long term (in power & cooling).

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024

AMD's are MUCH more pwoer efficient so if they cant be comparable for the huge power difference servers and all will not buy them as they cost more long term (in power & cooling).
They are 3 to 5 times (that's 300 to 500%) faster than epyc in anything that uses AMX (mainly AI i think?)

I wouldn't be so sure about Zen 5 being more efficient in the data center. All information available is pointing towards them having a 500W TDP on the top parts as well. The down stack might be lower, but there are a lot of varying products from Intel to compete there.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't be so sure about Zen 5 being more efficient in the data center. All information available is pointing towards them having a 500W TDP on the top parts as well.
Efficiency is perf/W. Those 500 W parts will be running 128 x Zen 5 cores or 192 Zen 5C cores. So, more power, but also more and wider cores (with the amount of cache scaling linearly per-core).

If we just look at TDPs, 500 W represents a 38.9% increase over the Genoa and Bergamo generation. Going from 96 -> 128 cores is 33.3% more cores. Going from 128 -> 192 cores is 50% more. So, in the case of the Zen 5 Turin, per-core performance needs to improve by just 4.2% for it to have equal efficiency as Genoa. In the case of the Zen 5C version, per-core performance can actually decrease and it'd still have the same or better efficiency than Bergamo.

We know from the Ryzen 9000 benchmarks, especially those by Phoronix, that Zen 5 is easily capable of those sorts of gains. Overall performance of the 9950X improved 17.8% over the 7950X. Efficiency increased by 22.1%.

Mar 19, 2024
Look how smarter NVIDIA is doing its business compared to our two server CPU chips makers Intel and AMD. NVIDIA packs 6-8 GPUs connected by the fast link in parallel on each baseboard. Each such board manipulated by one rarely two 32-64 core CPUs. That is typical node of supercomputer. Block of 8 GPUs is 10-20 times more powerful than CPU but it also consumes 10-20 more electrical power. Obviously packing 10x more chips on the board NVIDIA will have 10x larger profit. Who prohibits Intel and AMD do the same with these new much more powerful CPUs which now becoming really competitive 1:1 CPU:GPU in the HPC field? What, AMD afraid unlucky number 4 just to start the expansion?

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Look how smarter NVIDIA is doing its business compared to our two server CPU chips makers Intel and AMD.
Did you know that AMD and Intel also make GPUs?

NVIDIA packs 6-8 GPUs connected by the fast link in parallel on each baseboard. Each such board manipulated by one rarely two 32-64 core CPUs.
Not true of Grace-Hopper setups, where the CPUs are enmeshed in the same NVLink fabric as the GPUs.

N5fCvRd.jpeg

Obviously packing 10x more chips on the board NVIDIA will have 10x larger profit.
AMD did this as well.

amd-frontier-cpu-gpu-node-1.jpg

Who prohibits Intel and AMD do the same with these new much more powerful CPUs which now becoming really competitive 1:1 CPU:GPU in the HPC field?
I'm curious whether you've heard about AMD's MI300A, which combines CPU and GPU cores in the same package.

AMD-Instinct-MI300A-Chiplets.jpg

amd-instinct-mi300a-cross-section.jpg

amd-instinct-mi300a-system-schematic.jpg

What, AMD afraid unlucky number 4 just to start the expansion?
Not sure what you're even referring to, here. Zen 4 powered the Genoa, Bergamo, and Siena EPYCs, which have been very successful for them. If you include the Zen+ refresh, then it was actually their 5th generation of EPYCs and the new Turin will be Gen 6.

Sources:

JRStern

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2017
This page gives an overview of some (all?) of Intel's QoS technologies. Given that Xen has implemented them, I would assume most other hypervisors have, as well.

Exactly how the hypervisor presents QoS to administrators is another matter, but you can now be aware of some of the technologies, their capabilities and limitations, that are used under the hood.
Thanks. Very interesting. Really NOT the kind of thing you really want to do by hand, though.
Not sure it should be run at the hypervisor level, or at least not only, an on-prem system with no VM should still have access to these. Even the statistics are useful, the tuning probably needs to be dynamic and automated to be really useful.

Mar 19, 2024
Did you know that AMD and Intel also make GPUs?

Not true of Grace-Hopper setups, where the CPUs are enmeshed in the same NVLink fabric as the GPUs.
N5fCvRd.jpeg

AMD did this as well.
amd-frontier-cpu-gpu-node-1.jpg

I'm curious whether you've heard about AMD's MI300A, which combines CPU and GPU cores in the same package.
AMD-Instinct-MI300A-Chiplets.jpg
amd-instinct-mi300a-cross-section.jpg
amd-instinct-mi300a-system-schematic.jpg

Not sure what you're even referring to, here. Zen 4 powered the Genoa, Bergamo, and Siena EPYCs, which have been very successful for them. If you include the Zen+ refresh, then it was actually their 5th generation of EPYCs and the new Turin will be Gen 6.

Sources:
Thanks for the picturesque response.
Looks like you completely missed my point and the basics behind it.

The point #1 is that no Intel or AMD, the main server CPU producers create purely CPU based motherboards with more than 2 CPUs on them but they could put 4, 6, 8 on them. Specifically this would be good for regular end users. And Intel or AMD do not promote the fast ways you would connect existing motherboards into single parallel system for end users. Seems they gave up to the notion or often a myth that GPUs always beat CPU in computer power and wall-plug efficiency.

The point #2 is that typical 8 GPUs on the supercomputers baseboard we tested do not give on our tasks speedups more than 5-8 compared to the CPU on the same board. These tasks are usual heavy FP64 vector and scalar simulations not the recent fashion AI. And some supercomputers are from the TOP500 list (your first picture show diagram for the typical and most powerful so far one). There are no recent CPU/GPU design incarnations there, when they will appear we will for sure see and test them too.

Point #3 is that the total electric power consumption by these GPUs on the baseboard is essentially on par with the power consumed by the same number of CPUs if they were used instead of GPU.

And seems you also missed my joke point #4 with number 4 as unlucky number in some countries why we might not see 4 processor motherboards :) Intel made them years ago but not anymore

Last edited:
The point #1 is that no Intel or AMD, the main server CPU producers create purely CPU based motherboards with more than 2 CPUs on them but they could put 4, 6, 8 on them. Specifically this would be good for regular end users. And Intel or AMD do not promote the fast ways you would connect existing motherboards into single parallel system for end users. Seems they gave up to the notion or often a myth that GPUs always beat CPU in computer power and wall-plug efficiency.
Intel has been the only home for the 8S x86 server for over a decade and 4S has been dead almost as long. It's a very niche market due to the cost and lack of broad usefulness. CPUs by nature of being generalized compute can never be as efficient as anything purpose built. Intel has done custom Xeons for customers with high enough volume and continued to add accelerators to their products but these things are just enhancements on the base capability rather than pure replacements for something specialized.
There are no recent CPU/GPU design incarnations there, when they will appear we will for sure see and test them too.
The June 2024 Top 500 list has:
GH200 at #6 though the CPU and GPU are separate cores despite being the same package.

MI300A at #46, 47 and 48 (These should all be El Capitan test systems I believe) which is most certainly monolithic CPU/GPU combined core.

Reactions: bit_user