Intel Launches Its New Suite of Developer Tools for Gaming & Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
"The fact that this capability will be available to millions of consumers on forthcoming 4th Generation Intel Core processors is very exciting to us."

Too bad you won't actually be able to play the game without a video card...

When these integrated chips can hit 35fps minimum at 1080P, then you can get excited.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I kinda don't get it. How many will implement this in their code? How many are using intergrated HD graphics for gaming? I personally don't know, I though I don't think there's enough to make it worthwhile to implement, especially if it's intel exclusive..

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I can see 'InstantAccess' being quite useful. On both Intel and AMD integrated GPUs the chips share main memory (and often a cache), so this extension may actually see use.

On top of that CPU/GPU integration is a major bottleneck in many applications and games, with a ton of techniques and tricks trying to get around both the bandwidth bottleneck and the latency. By being able to have both the GPU and CPU read and write the same memory can lead to very fast/tight integration and some really amazing effects that couldn't be realistically done any other way. Even in the case where it brings nothing new to the table, being able to submit smaller batches, or work with buffers in a more natural/dynamic manner will be nice.

On the other hand I don't see 'PixelSync' seeing any real use.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I wonder if this is specifically geared toward Intel platform, that is another push for Intel specific compilers.

And if it is so, one may ask "will software work on AMD platform?". Currently we can observe that software compiled with Intel compilers will do much WORSE on AMD platform due to simple fact that compiler applies optimized code ONLY for Intel CPUS, not AMD ones.

New development tools would even push discrepancy of performance even further, favoring Intel. Interesting question to ask Intel about this software suite is "will it work with other graphic chipsets equally?"

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]Just what we need, another proprietary format. Long live Open GL/CL[/citation]
That's not how i understood the article on AT, seems more like Intel's using DX11 to do this stuff, but then it's specific to their APUs. Sounds driver level. Maybe wrong, but then i read this 5 days ago.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
From the downvotes, someone obviously thinks Intel video technology is awesome...

From a technical standpoint Intel doesn't have the video hardware to make any graphically intense product run smoothly at todays resolutions without assistance from AMD or NVidia. Ojas is correct, this is just PR spin on new D11 extensions.

Intel can get excited when you can play a somewhat current game at 35fps minimum at 1080p resolutions. Until then, there is nothing to get excited about from the Intel graphics department.

Status
Not open for further replies.