Intel Launches New Coffee Lake Pentium Gold And Celeron Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghettogamer

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Great move from Intel! although their igpu still sucks, given the high price of gpu's right now it would be wiser to go the Ryzen APU route, but I bet if you already had a good gpu and paired it with this $64 Cofeelake Pentium gold G5400, it would probably smoke the Ryzen 2200g, especially now that cheap cofeelake boards will soon be out and available. hopefully this would force AMD to cut their prices win win for consumers!

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
The fact that you have to already own a Discrete GPU or purchase one in order to smoke the 2200G Negates that. It is not going to make them drop prices.
Now if Intel released a competitive GPU that would do it. But no its not in the same class at all.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
apparently TomsHardware is again, NSFW. Not a matter of adult content, but again, forcing ads with video and sound that blast through PC speakers whether you like it or not.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Not for anything that hammers more than two threads hard. Also the 2200G is cheaper than a Pentium Gold and an entry level graphics card. 2200G is also unlocked, you can bump the CPU up a few hundred MHz for a little free performance. Especially if you add a graphics card later, since it won't be spending its TDP budget on the iGPU anymore.

Really they're in different leagues.

popatim

Titan

That hasn't happened to me, can you report this in the Forum Feedback section and supply links to pages that are doing this. I'm sure the Devs will appreciate it.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
These things aren't worth it for gaming except light gaming or E-Sports. If one also use the PC for other things, a dual core is not worth it. A quad core should be the minimum these days even for the low end.

As other mentioned already, spend a little more for a Ryzen APU

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Got it. And these new Coffee Lake processors are so much better than the older Kaby Lake (and the even older Haswell) items because...gee, well, I just forget why. (Just kiddin', Paul. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Personally, given the crap with prices due to mining for GPUs, it would seem a smart move to be bundling graphics engines with the CPUs again. And I suppose we're shoe-horned into Windows 10 only here as well.)

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Tell me what's the point when $99 Ryzen 3 2200G exists and absolutely murders them and is also a better deal than the i3 8100 or any new i3.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Seems people forget the Ryzen IPC is only 5% behind SL-KL-CL. Even if you don't use the igpu, the 2200G is still the best gaming cpu on a budget. Add to that support for future cpu's till 2020.

Would you get his pentium over an "i3 8100" class of cpu for $99?

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
What you should probably wait is a new Athlon Ryzen based with igpu disabled. Seems the yields are just too high to even allow an Athlon to exist.

A quad core Athlon with "just" 4 Vega CU's (the faulty 2200G's) for $69-79 would be a cheapo gamer dream, it could handle popular e-sports on the igpu alone even crippled vs Vega8.

Not even the ryzen core PLUS it's SMT core TOGETHER is anywhere near the 5% range...
Assassin's Creed Origins Benchmark youtube link
DXFTOBX.jpg

Microsoft Flight Simulator X youtube link
sUcSM2m.jpg

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
You're aware those "tests" do not show the CPU's IPC performance? (The only thing shown is that while the Core i5s are pegged at 100% load the Ryzen can relax a bit...)

To get it right you need to underclock both CPUs to the same speed (~2 GHz to prevent any form of throttling), and then run a multi-threaded CPU benchmark to compare the results.

Yeah it can "relax a bit" ,like 3% LOL. And not even on all cores,but only a few...

CPUs with a small core count are not for content creation/creativity software,the main focus here is budged gaming and that's what people should benchmark.
Not to mention that Nintendork even said gaming CPU and that's what I answered to.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
@TERRYLAZE
What you're showing are simply games with lack of optimization for the Ryzen arch. Tell me when did Flying Simulator got a Ryzen patch?

Even if their performance are almost the same, Ryzen and Broadwell/Skylake parts are not shown as the same cpu/arch on older programs or newer. Take ROTR game patch for example and the massive gains once they receive a patch for an AMD arch the game NEVER new about.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
tHX to intel a year ago most desktop users were "calling" their $350+ i7 7700K content creation machines since having a 6-8cores platform was so expensive to get in the 1st place, and at <$400 the only thing you could get was 4 core cpu.

Nintendork,
If very few games have a "Ryzen patch" it's a rather moot point to discuss it. Any benchmarks done should represent the AVERAGE performance one should expect... if they also mention SPECIFIC games that's a bonus but it's hardly necessary to do so.

The R5-2200G comparison to CPU + dGPU is very difficult.

First, you need sufficient DDR4 bandwidth not just for the AM4 CPU but for its iGPU as well. Does 3200MHz (i.e. 2x4GB) provide enough to max out the iGPU?

You not only pay extra for the FASTER DDR4 memory but you also use up some of it. For a budget build you'd likely use 2GB for VRAM which then leaves 6GB for system memory (Windows + game usage).

At roughly $100USD for a 2x4GB 3200MHz kit that means $25 per 2GB... again it's hard to compare because there's NO WAY to compare apples and oranges since you end up with different SYSTEM MEMORY amount that Windows can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.