Intel Launches New Graphics Driver for Iris, Iris Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see Adaptive Rendering getting really annoying but hopefully it's smart enough to say drop to 15FPS only when there's minimal screen changes so we don't perceive the sluggishness.

The issue will be if the screen is still thus the FPS drops and it takes too long to go back to 60FPS so we keep getting stutter or sluggishness issues.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Benchmark's please.
Hopefully it doesn't give too much of a graphics performance increase, as the will give AMD and their APU's less of a fighting chance.

wow. isn't this the first driver release for iris pro since it's release? awesome driver support intel. can we open more then 10 browser tabs without being bogged down with this driver release? How about color/graphic issues with 90% of non-benchmark gaming titles?

Iris/Iris pro is awesome tech with almost no driver support.

rootheday

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
@ingtar33 - I have intel graphics in my work laptop (HD 4000, Ivybridge so slower than the HD4400/4600/Iris Haswell gpus) - i often have 2 dozen browser tabs open with no lag. Intel has been putting out 4-6 WHQL driver updates a year for the last 2+ years + they have recently also been putting out public betas, usually aligned to game launches (Thief, Titanfall, Grid Autosport are recent examples).

Regarding color/graphics issues on "90%" of games - citation needed please. Go look at Youtube for HD4000/4400/4600 - there are hundreds of videos posted by people playing all manner of games, popular and obscure with no issues. Are the Intel drivers perfect? no, but then neither are AMDs or NVidias.

@rdc85 - If you are referring to CMAA, it isn't cheating - it is a post-postprocessing AA approach similar to FXAA or MLAA based on findng jaggies in edges and smudging them a tad; much less bandwidth and perf hit than normal MSAA but better looking than no AA at all. Recommend you read the article. Some games implement these kinds of AA in the game menus (Deus Ex, for example); Intel is just offering it as a control panel option for games that don't.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
CMAA?? Never heard of that before. Anyone has experience with it? How does it compare to Nvidia's FXAA (when it's forced through the control panel it's not that great except for games with simple or cartoony visuals)

rdc85

Honorable

Thanks for the info, where can i find a good reference for CMAA.. (to lazy to ask google and check 1 by 1)
especially if it also check the image quality with and without CMAA...

rdc85

Honorable
Err, it's from intel doc..

I'm still hoping for review by tom's (and other like TPU, anand, etc) about this..
is it sacrifice quality for speed or not..

edit: anyways going to read the article now... :D

From first look it seems it using much quicker/simpler AA.. that provide "good enough" quality..

In my point of view it that misleading,
the performance increase is from using "good enough" AA, not the usual AA..
I'm wondering how much the actual performance increase if u compare with old gen chip,
using the usual AA.. (this is what I'm hoping for from the review)

In other thought,
it's not like Intel is doing wrong.. (AMD and NVI already doing/using this for some time)

Status
Not open for further replies.