News Intel Launches Raptor Lake at AMD: 24-core i9-13900K Arrives Oct 20 for $589

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

logainofhades

Titan
For balance, I think that 16 core CPUs by AMD are totally pointless for general consumer tasks (including gaming) too, but obviously many people buying them engage in hefty doses of confirmation bias in order to justify their overspend. We see that with GPUs too.

The 16 core chips have always been touted as being for creators, and possibly streamers wanting to use a single rig. The 12 core is the true enthusiast chip, as it often games better, due to hitting higher clocks, vs the 16 core brethren. I would consider 8c/16t, in 2022, to be more mainstream, and enough for the typical gamer. Some games are starting to make use of that many cores. There are older titles, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, that can use up to 75% total CPU usage of a 6c/12t chip. If you intend to keep your system long term, I wouldn't go below an 8 core.

Makaveli

Splendid
pretty much as expected.

The $590 price most likely tray price when buying 1k units

He was pointing out a grammar error you made. What you should have said is "couldn't care less." As he pointed out, if you could care less, then you think 2 or 3% is important.

lol you know how many people make this mistake, stopped correcting them after awhile.

In the end does it really matter? I don't understand why AMD and Intel are so focused on gaming performance in the first place. Is any modern midrange CPU or better really handicapping gaming performance? Will any typical gamer be able to tell the difference between a 10600 and a 7950x in a blind test? It's not the old days where we were trying to reach a steady 30fps. When you're going from 330 to 355 fps it just doesn't seem to matter.

I 100% agree with you but gotta read the room.

90% of the users on all these tech sites only care about gaming performance. I never understood the point of buying 16 cores cpu's when half cores are idle just to play games. Or dropping thousands on a Multipurpose device that is a desktop PC to only play games. To me it would seem a console would be a better option for you if your sole purpose is just games. But then again I'm someone with an IT career over the last few decades so my outlook on it maybe different.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
"but they're just the leading wave: Intel will eventually bring 22 Raptor Lake chips to market for desktop PCs, along with a separate lineup for laptops. "

well i'm out. i gave up trying to keep all the _________lake names straight. no chance i'm gonna try to keep up with 30 different models by the time they add in all the mobile chips. good luck with all that :p

pretty much as expected.

The $590 price most likely tray price when buying 1k units
They called it "RCP" in their slides. In previous announcements they have used "1K Tray Pricing", so this time it should be an "MSRP". Unless they're hiding a non-standard term behind "RCP"? =/

RCP in that context should mean "Reasonable Charge Pricing", but now you've made me doubt Intel's information... Again.

Regards.

Reactions: Makaveli
"but they're just the leading wave: Intel will eventually bring 22 Raptor Lake chips to market for desktop PCs, along with a separate lineup for laptops. "

well i'm out. i gave up trying to keep all the _________lake names straight. no chance i'm gonna try to keep up with 30 different models by the time they add in all the mobile chips. good luck with all that :p
It's going to be the exact same models you already know just now with a 13 at the beginning instead of a 12...
Maybe the celerons and pentiums could change numbers but who really cares about those anyway.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lol, i gave up on those as well. i used to know what the specs were for all the models but intel has made it so dang confusing that i need a written cheat sheet to know what the heck we're talking about when someone specifies a model. especially now with all the p and e cores and all the combos of them in the various chips.

Reactions: RodroX

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
They called it "RCP" in their slides. In previous announcements they have used "1K Tray Pricing", so this time it should be an "MSRP". Unless they're hiding a non-standard term behind "RCP"? =/

RCP in that context should mean "Reasonable Charge Pricing", but now you've made me doubt Intel's information... Again.

Regards.
RCP for Intel has always meant Recommended Customer Price. This is always for allotments of 1000. At launch retail pricing will be above that, but as time goes on, retail prices often settle down on RCP.

Reactions: RodroX and Makaveli
RCP for Intel has always meant Recommended Customer Price. This is always for allotments of 1000. At launch retail pricing will be above that, but as time goes on, retail prices often settle down on RCP.
"1K tray price" is not the same as MSRP/RCP though? Or at least it shouldn't be mixed. As I said, I don't recall Intel using this before. I wouldn't be surprised I'm remembering incorrectly, but it's always been the case that the 1K tray price is lower than the actual street price, for obvious reasons.

Welp, whatever. I'll expect all prices to be above what Intel said anyway, like always.

Regards.

"1K tray price" is not the same as MSRP/RCP though? Or at least it shouldn't be mixed. As I said, I don't recall Intel using this before. I wouldn't be surprised I'm remembering incorrectly, but it's always been the case that the 1K tray price is lower than the actual street price, for obvious reasons.

Welp, whatever. I'll expect all prices to be above what Intel said anyway, like always.

Regards.

Maybe cause RCP sounded better to the PR team ?.... Although RCP is not far away from CPR...... perhaps they should re-think this strategy and go back to MSRP?

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Honest question: What real-world usage does 7-zip translate to?
He was pointing out a grammar error you made. What you should have said is "couldn't care less." As he pointed out, if you could care less, then you think 2 or 3% is important.

"The dictionary treats could care less as a variant of the older phrase couldn’t care less because it is so frequently encountered. Logic and grammar are often separate considerations, but many people criticize the use of could care less because it seems illogical. "

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
Although strictly speaking incorrect my view/interpretation of the Recommended Customer Price (RCP) is that is the price that Intel recommends to a customer who buys 1000 units directly from Intel to be charging the end-client. This price obviously does factor the profit of such a retailer or system integrator or OEM as we always see Intel cpus retailing at RCP. Now if the retailer/SI/OEM wants to make a larger profit off the cpu they will sell it at a higher price than Intel suggests, and this is what is usually what is happening at launch when demand/interest is high and availability may still be scarce. But always, 1.5-3 months post launch, the price on all major e-tailers such as Amazon and Newegg settles at around or just below the RCP.