Intel Launches Sandy Bridge Pentiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

oparadoxical_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Their naming scheme (or lack thereof) makes my head hurt. They really need to figure out a good solid naming scheme that actually makes sense and that consumers can easily understand.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Looking forward to reading about how these bench against the SB i3s or the Athlons at the $60-$90 prices. Any predictions based on the specs above?

I wonder if these are strictly intended for large-scale OEMs or if they will be available boxed for retail...

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Ah I remember my first Pentium, a Pentium 1 running at 60 MHz, yes MHz young readers. My neighbor was envious at the speed I could run Doom II.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
From the i3 2100, my guess is that the new Pentiums will be 30% more efficient per core. That G620 should preform somewhere around a PII X2 550 or an E8500. I'm sure they've also cut out some features, but it should really put pressure on Athlon II prices which seem to be up lately.

FrozenPie

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Ok guys I want to build a low cost energy efficient file server. I was previously looking at the AMD Zacate E-350 for a NAS. Would the Pentium G620T ( 35 W ) be good as well for a FreeNAS zfs setup?

[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Ah I remember my first Pentium, a Pentium 1 running at 60 MHz, yes MHz young readers. My neighbor was envious at the speed I could run Doom II.[/citation]
Doom 2, yeah! My friend had the 60mhz Pentium, I ran out and bought an Intel DX4-100mhz overdrive processor to replace my "aging" DX33 and brought Doom 2 up to playable levels. Those were the days.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]^+1AMD has the naming scheme perfect, and it's something Intel should do too. It would make everybody's lives A LOT easier[/citation]

AMD had the perfect naming scheme until it came out with the Athlon II X4 650 and called it the Phenom II X4 840.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006

The Zacate should still come out cheaper and lower power. The Pentium is in an entirely different league, but probably should be considered if you are going to do anything more involved than file serving.

G

oh come now haven't the Apple folks taught them anything yet, they almost got it with the i7, i5 and i3 stuff, it should be iPentium

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]Doom 2, yeah! My friend had the 60mhz Pentium, I ran out and bought an Intel DX4-100mhz overdrive processor to replace my "aging" DX33 and brought Doom 2 up to playable levels. Those were the days.[/citation]
lol, wow, talk about old school. i didn't pick up my first comp till the p2 233mhz :) i still remember my friend having the 333mhz chip later on, and he was taunting me :(

[citation][nom]FrozenPie[/nom]Ok guys I want to build a low cost energy efficient file server. I was previously looking at the AMD Zacate E-350 for a NAS. Would the Pentium G620T ( 35 W ) be good as well for a FreeNAS zfs setup?[/citation]

I've answered the question many times over in the storage forums. If your going to build your own low power box then look into making a Via Nano mini-ITX server and coupling it with a mediasonic external RAID enclosure. It'll come out at the same price point if not a little cheaper then your professional $650 "NAS" box's and offer you a whole lot more features / functionality.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]From the i3 2100, my guess is that the new Pentiums will be 30% more efficient per core. That G620 should preform somewhere around a PII X2 550 or an E8500. I'm sure they've also cut out some features, but it should really put pressure on Athlon II prices which seem to be up lately.[/citation]

If the G620 performs anywhere close to my E8500, then it is time to upgrade. I guess it won't.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]AMD had the perfect naming scheme until it came out with the Athlon II X4 650 and called it the Phenom II X4 840.[/citation]

I played all the 1st Tombraider on my 486 DX2 / 66Mhz. Pain in the ass to run it, but it did. Wing Commander 3 was impossible, I would literally fall asleep between loading levels. My friends Pentium 90 breezed through it. I eventually upgraded to a Cyrix 6x86. Yes, those were the days.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]Doom 2, yeah! My friend had the 60mhz Pentium, I ran out and bought an Intel DX4-100mhz overdrive processor to replace my "aging" DX33 and brought Doom 2 up to playable levels. Those were the days.[/citation]

I played all the 1st Tombraider on my 486 DX2 / 66Mhz. Pain in the ass to run it, but it did. Wing Commander 3 was impossible, I would literally fall asleep between loading levels. My friends Pentium 90 breezed through it. I eventually upgraded to a Cyrix 6x86. Yes, those were the days.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Those were the days indeed. :D Doom dominated my life back then for a while -
running the DHS (eg. maintaining the main cheat codes FAQ), answering questions
on the USENET groups, at one point receiving as many as 400 emails a day
from an astonishing range of people (and annoying some at the Uni where I
was studying when accesses to my site peaked at 50% of *all* accesses to
the Uni domain. :D Some staff thought it was cool though, and felt the
publicity ought to have been exploited) I ended up doing my dissertation
on the side effects of playing the game, which gained some notoriety.
Eventually it all led to my visiting the guys at Id, which was also my
first trip outside the UK.

Yes, fond memories... seems like a lifetime ago. :}

Funny thing though, I never played Doom3. Just somehow didn't have quite
the same magic.

Ian.

"The company currently offers 70 different desktop processor models." Intel you are wankers, you release a new socket every year, have your i3/i7/i5/pentium models across 3 sockets with different cores/hyperthreading within a series, and a numbering scheem that makes no sense at all and you expect the average joe to know what theyre buying? Please make more sense of the products you release so the general population doesnt get f*cked over when they have no idea how well any of your processors perform without some serious research. Gone are the days when you could put either an Intel, AMD, Cyrix/IBM or IDT Winchip in the same socket! Good old Socket 7 remains my favourite socket ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.