News Intel Launches Tiger Lake: Up to 4.8 GHz, LPDDR4 Memory, Iris Xe Graphics up to 1.35 GHz

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
That i7-1165G7 looks to be the next mainstream i7 mobile cpu. Closer to the flagship 1185G7 than expected. Just 100Mhz lower on single-core boost, 200Mhz lower on all-core boost & base, and 50Mhz lower on max igpu clock. Not bad.

Any insight when or if this tiger lake will come to desktop space ?
All indications are this is mobile only, just like Ice Lake (not counting future Ice Lake Xeon chips). Rocket Lake will still be 14nm+++ or whatever, but will be called 11th Gen. Alder Lake will most likely be the first 10nm (SuperFin) desktop Intel chip outside of HEDT.

Reactions: Makaveli

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I really hope we see a lot more support for 28W TDP modes on Tiger Lake laptops. Particularly for anything in the 15-inch range or larger, and even 14-inch ought to allow for more than 15W. There's a huge increase in performance (30-40%) when going from 15W to 25W on Ice Lake.

What we really need to see is the same chips with 4GB HBM2 instead of shared memory especially with the faster Xe graphics.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Presentation was kinda disappointing. Seems like Intel has dialed back the ambition for Project Athena. They were talking about features like wake-on-approach. That's been reduced to just wake-in-less-than-a-second. The AI noise-reduction demo was lame compared to what Nvidia showed yesterday.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Presentation was kinda disappointing. Seems like Intel has dialed back the ambition for Project Athena. They were talking about features like wake-on-approach. That's been reduced to just wake-in-less-than-a-second. The AI noise-reduction demo was lame compared to what Nvidia showed yesterday.
That was disappointing? I did not expect them not to release more than quad cores in 2020.
I know they have problems with 10nm but those are notebooks cpus how are they going to release Alder Lake?

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
There is no need for higher than 4 (quad) core since the graphic is so much better, there is no need for discreet graphic either, thus AMD and NVDA 's graphic share will be losing in the future. If faster graphic is needed, Intel can put 4 tiles of Xe together, it is still far more efficient than NVDA's AMPERE ( 10 nm chip vs 7nm AMPERE). Thus, this will stop NVDA cold in Data Center.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
There is no need for higher than 4 (quad) core since the graphic is so much better, there is no need for discreet graphic either, thus AMD and NVDA 's graphic share will be losing in the future. If faster graphic is needed, Intel can put 4 tiles of Xe together, it is still far more efficient than NVDA's AMPERE ( 10 nm chip vs 7nm AMPERE). Thus, this will stop NVDA cold in Data Center.
There are games that can use more than 4 cores. Are you living in 2006?
Consoles are going to push towards 16 threads and I did not see this gpu destroyng the rtx 2060 mobile fron Nvidia not to mention the stronger gpus.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Apple left intel because of poor quality in Skylake CPU's it has nothing to do with core counts.

source ?

Poor quality ??? really? what they break for example ? what poor quality ?

Apple left because they know in advance next Generations releases intel gives them a year in advance so they can ready their notebooks designs.

it does not stop at one generation only.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I’ll be honest, I’ve preferred Intel for years but when I next upgrade it’ll probably be AMD even if their performance is lower. I didn’t know it at the time but if I’d waited a few months instead of building my 7700k setup? I could have got a Ryzen build which I could have upgraded twice since with only changing the CPU.

It’s the stinginess or backwards compatibility that’s really got me. There’s no reason why the 8700k / 8086k series couldn’t have worked on z270 motherboards except that Intel purposefully blocked it. I feel like a mug for buying Intel. I’ll likely wait for the next AMD socket and switch to AMD then.

Makaveli

Splendid
source ?

Poor quality ??? really? what they break for example ? what poor quality ?

Apple left because they know in advance next Generations releases intel gives them a year in advance so they can ready their notebooks designs.

it does not stop at one generation only.

Since you want me to do the work for you a simple google search will provide those answers.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...l-engineer-claims-skylake-qa-drove-apple-away

Reactions: PapaCrazy

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Tiger Lake is a huge disappointment. Intel needs to realize that it's 2020; not 2015. These new CPUs are inadequate to compete with the latest AMD products.

I am looking for a Ryzen 7 4800U-equipped system that has a Wacom AES digitizer. AMD's offerings have greatly expanded the performance of gaming laptops, but they haven't penetrated into the 2-in-1 space the way I expected. Intel's mobile stranglehold needs to be shoved aside.