Intel Launches Z670/650 Oak Trail Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Why not get a small Pentium processor and shrink it to 32 nanometres?[/citation]

Thats what they did. They took the basic P54C arch and stripped it of a few things and put it on 32nm.

Thats Atom.

What they need is to push out 22nm Atoms ASAP. That would help power drain a lot.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
@ Jimmysmitty... No they didn't strip a pentium... Atom (at least as far as I am aware) is not even an out of order processor... which in todays modern market makes it a door stop! I never bought one because of this... Hence I now own a Zacate!

[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Thats what they did. They took the basic P54C arch and stripped it of a few things and put it on 32nm.Thats Atom.What they need is to push out 22nm Atoms ASAP. That would help power drain a lot.[/citation]

*cough* 45nm *cough*

Anyway, Brazos is taking away the light on low power set ups IMO. Atom has little to nothing to do now, even more when you think about "GPU".

Cheers!

^ Brazos/Llano is for Desktops and Laptop/Netbooks.

Z670/650 is supposed to compete with ARM chips. IE A8/A9 Cortex and the variants of that. Mainly a tablet CPU I would expect.

Personally, this isn't going to be able to compete with ARM. It has a higher power consumption than ARM, and ARM is already ahead of the game with the A15 coming out next year.

I say Adreno 220 + A9. That or next year with the Adreno 330 and the A15 Cortex.

Actually, the C30 is aimed for tablets... Don't know about a road map for phones from AMD, but wouldn't surprise me if they announce it when they hit 32nm or 22nm with the next Brazos platform.

Cheers!

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Is this news or a personal journal entry? This is riddled with personal opinion that has nothing to do with the information presented. Every piece of information is succeeded by the author's opinion on how it is inadequate. Not exactly professional writing.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Thats why dont like Intel much they ask too much for there products. This is insane that production costs $5 and they are asking $75 thats way too much. At least they are not no. 1 in some micro chip market.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I don't see this new atom going anywhere. The power consumption is still too high and any sort of coupling with an Ion-like GPU would only increase that further still.

I do think that tablets will require a CPU/GPU with more power than the ones currently on the market, but battery life is still king when it comes to tablets and phones. I do think we'll see intel-powered tablets and phones hit the market in mass quantity, but 45nm just won't cut it in terms of power consumption. I think Intel went that route to decrease the cost, but when they're already so damn cheap I don't see why they're charging so much.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I will wait until they finally implement turbo boost on atom processors (and their graphics chips).
If not, then I'll go with ARM and Android. I became rather fond of the Android system (where it not for the programs that autoboot into sys memory).!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Thats what they did. They took the basic P54C arch and stripped it of a few things and put it on 32nm.Thats Atom.What they need is to push out 22nm Atoms ASAP. That would help power drain a lot.[/citation]

No offense, but you're clueless, and you're spreading misinformation. The Atom is NOTHING like a Pentium. Where do we start? For one, the Atom has over three times as many stages. It runs it's pipelines independently, whereas the Pentium pipelines were lock stepped, and the V pipeline couldn't even execute that many instructions at all. Since we're talking about instructions, the Pentium actually executed 386 instructions, instead of changing them into other instructions and executing them (called decoupled architecture). Pentium also had no support for any version of SSE, or x86-64.

In short, they were virtually completely different.

I don't think the P5 could be used successfully, however modified, because the days of actually executing x86 instructions are probably gone for good on CPUs. Larabee was going to use modified P5s though, but that was intended as a GPU.

I always thought the K6 would come back as a low power chip, and although I've heard rumors that the Bobcat is based on it, when you look closely, if it is, it's old very moderately. I guess it's just better to start from scratch.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/04/intels-oak-trail-headed-for-tablet-limbo.ars

I think the new oak trail 45nm is more of a test bench to see the market audience. Frankly, despite the low power consumption with respect to the atom predecessor it's still out of the ballpark in comparison to the ARM-based alternatives. Marketing it as a windows-based tablet I don't think is a good idea either. The computing power is almost certainly decreased, and windows isn't exactly known for being a sleek and power-sipping, OS. I foresee somewhat of a resource hog that has the appeal of running your desktop apps at a snail's pace.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20110412170720_Intel_Designs_Cloverview_System_on_Chip_for_Tablets.html

the future seems far more brighter for intel, though. These planned chips seem to be far more suited to the environment they're currently targeting. Bear in mind, though, AMD has wichita as well and other chips based on similar nm-scale with what will almost certainly be better graphical/gaming performance. In the tablet world that seems to be the latest trend.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Bump to Burnley14!

We all know once the comparison charts come out everyone will want it. In comparison the the ARM processor the Oak Trail will most likely be 2x faster in most benchmarks.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Source please!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.