News Intel Leadership, Tech Team Changes Not Delayed, Murthy Renduchintala Leaves

Bob Swan just trying to secure his position. Word is the board of directors was looking to raise an engineer to CEO position and ditch the marketing yahoo Swan, expect Swan to force Raja to leave next.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
It's bit of both, I think. Murthy was trying to eliminate potential CEO candidates and sabotaging their work. Swan has stakes in Murthy's departure, but I think all in all this is better for the company's health. Swan may not be the right man for the job necessarily, but Murthy was destroying the company from within.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
It's bit of both, I think. Murthy was trying to eliminate potential CEO candidates and sabotaging their work. Swan has stakes in Murthy's departure, but I think all in all this is better for the company's health. Swan may not be the right man for the job necessarily, but Murthy was destroying the company from within.
Murthy saw Jim Keller as a threat, ergo his machinations eventually worked and that's what got Jim Keller to leave IMO.

Bob Swan saw the writing on the wall and noticed Dr. Murthy's machinations.

So he secured his throne for a bit by laying the blame on Dr. Murthy and ousting him.

Raja Koduri is too new to be a credible threat in the short term.

If the Board sees Raja Koduri succeeding to some degree with Xe, even if it isn't faster than what AMD has, but is close enough, then I can see Raja eventually being groomed by the Board to become future Intel CEO.

With enough iterative improvements from a Xe GPU that's behind AMD's equivalent in the market place, it can catch up over the long term is probably Raja's long term strategy.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Uhh...no duh? As opposed to him doing nothing and just sitting around and hoping everything magically fixes itself, or intentionally sabotaging the company to guarantee its failure?
I think the comment was about the motives driving the changes. The two extremes would seem to be:
  1. This is 100% about pushing out Murthy, a potential challenger (or, at least someone he thinks is undermining him).
  2. This is 100% about optimizing the organization and fixing structural problems.
Even if #1 is a significant factor, there's certainly at least a bit of #2 going on.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Murthy was trying to eliminate potential CEO candidates and sabotaging their work. Swan has stakes in Murthy's departure,
What's weird about this is that Swan would seem to benefit from potential rivals being undermined. But, I guess it's ultimately untenable, if the net effect is the company eventually underperforming its goals. That's definitely detrimental to Swan.

Reactions: MasterMadBones

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I think the comment was about the motives driving the changes. The two extremes would seem to be:
  1. This is 100% about pushing out Murthy, a potential challenger (or, at least someone he thinks is undermining him).
  2. This is 100% about optimizing the organization and fixing structural problems.
Even if #1 is a significant factor, there's certainly at least a bit of #2 going on.

Hard to see how Murthy could be candidate for the top job after the 7nm debacle. Exposing your colleagues potentially to insider trading accusation does not make you popular in the boardroom.

Jul 29, 2020
Bob Swan just trying to secure his position. Word is the board of directors was looking to raise an engineer to CEO position and ditch the marketing yahoo Swan, expect Swan to force Raja to leave next.
Swan is not a marketing person. At all. He's a finance guy through and through and that's what he's always been.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hard to see how Murthy could be candidate for the top job after the 7nm debacle.
Exactly. That's why he would be "safe" for Swan to keep around. Although, if Murthy already sabotaged the next round of would-be kings, then maybe he's served his purpose and now is a convenient time for Swan to dump him.

I don't claim to know any more about these machinations than what I'm reading here. I honestly like that I have a job with minimal politics. That's one of the main reasons I want to stay out of a management role.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I don't claim to know any more about these machinations than what I'm reading here. I honestly like that I have a job with minimal politics. That's one of the main reasons I want to stay out of a management role.

I doubt internal politics drove these decisions. Delay in disclosing material information is a cardinal sin. Intel had to take serious corrective actions to reassure investors and regulators. So the guy responsible got fired and his position was eliminated to prevent the same mistake from happening again.