News Intel LGA 1700 Socket Pictured, Cooler Installation Detailed

artk2219

Distinguished
Wooo new motherboard, ram (depending on the motherboard model), and a new cooler for intels new cpu's. Eh I guess they have been using the same cooler mounting layout since LGA 1156.

Last edited:

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
My next upgrade. It has been a long while since I did 3 i9-9900K upgrades for my sons and me. This has everything I have been waiting for, new PCI-E upgrade, new memory upgrade, new WiFi upgrade, and new Thunderbolt upgrade. I don't care that much about the extra cores unless they actually make some sort of difference in a regular user like me. I am already running Win 11 and the Alder Lake scheduler will (hopefully) take advantage of the OS. Not going to be cheap and this will be my most expensive CPU ever. STILL waiting for EVGA to stock the 3080 Ti and since NVidia is going to release a new family next year, might be reasonable to just say no.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
"It looks likely that this socket will work for two generations of processors."

This is typical of Intel. And hopefully, they won't say that H6xx series will not be supported with next gen CPUs, even though the pin count is the same.

Reactions: artk2219
My next upgrade. It has been a long while since I did 3 i9-9900K upgrades for my sons and me. This has everything I have been waiting for, new PCI-E upgrade, new memory upgrade, new WiFi upgrade, and new Thunderbolt upgrade. I don't care that much about the extra cores unless they actually make some sort of difference in a regular user like me. I am already running Win 11 and the Alder Lake scheduler will (hopefully) take advantage of the OS. Not going to be cheap and this will be my most expensive CPU ever. STILL waiting for EVGA to stock the 3080 Ti and since NVidia is going to release a new family next year, might be reasonable to just say no.
If you call 3 years a "long while", I wonder what adjective you use for my upgrade cycle: Sandy Bridge in 2011 to Ryzen 3000 in 2019?
Me on 3600 for quite sometime already...haha, itching for an upgrade....lets see how this compares with AMD. If its faster, I will get it.
Haha, I think of my 3600 as brand-new! I'll probably end up with a 6900X in there in two years and ride it until 2027.

"It looks likely that this socket will work for two generations of processors."

This is typical of Intel. And hopefully, they won't say that H6xx series will not be supported with next gen CPUs, even though the pin count is the same.
Hey, I'm just impressed that they plan for it to work with TWO generations at this point. That's one of the many reasons I won't be going back to Intel.

TRENDING THREADS