[SOLVED] Intel management engine help please!

Jan 3, 2019
Hello,

I just installed a new CPU, from an i3-2100 to an i7-3770. I had to update the bios from 0034 to 0048 to do so. Whenever I turn on the computer, before I even reach the bios, I get a warning message telling me to update my Intel management engine from 7.x to 8.x or to proceed at my own risk. What is the risk if not updating? I don't even know how to update this and I can't find anything online.

Solution
If it was my computer, yes I would boot up, download, and install. Here is some info as to the security risk, if you want to learn more.
I hadn't come across this security risk until you brought it to my attention. I would think that W10 would handle the update eventually during its regular update. You might even want to force a W10 update after you boot up and see if the IME update is found automatically.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

What OS are you running? Win 10? Have you tried doing the Win Update to see if it finds a suitable update or patch?
You might also try this Intel detection tool and see if you are truly at risk. It may provide instructions as to what to do.

Normally, I would just advise going to the board's web page and downloading the latest IME download, but it looks like the last one they provided was from 2012. Although another install might fix it...

Jan 3, 2019

Well I get that message as soon as I turn on my computer, before I can even access the bios. So I haven't booted into windows yet since I don't know what "risks" it was talking about. To answer your question, I'm running windows 10. ..I also didn't realize that the ime update was just a simple driver update. So should I just boot into windows and install the driver?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it was my computer, yes I would boot up, download, and install. Here is some info as to the security risk, if you want to learn more.
I hadn't come across this security risk until you brought it to my attention. I would think that W10 would handle the update eventually during its regular update. You might even want to force a W10 update after you boot up and see if the IME update is found automatically.

Solution