Intel Matrix Storage Console 8.9 Fails to rebuild array and trashes good drive.

Scarabiii_07

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hello,

I am running Win7 Pro on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. everything is on a RAID 1 mirror on a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives (ST3250410AS to be exact).

The initial build was fine. I started getting SMART errors so I used a duplicate spare to rebuild the array on.

The rebuild ran to about 92% then the Matrix manager said FAILED. System then blue screened. Marked my good drive as failed and corrupted or somehow damaged the Bootmgr on it.

The drive it was building on (spare) was not in the mirror yet so unable to boot to it. Was able to boot spare on other (non-raid) controller and repair the original.

I have tried this 3 times with identical results. Rebuilds to near completion, rebuild fails, blue screen, original drive trashed.

Besides BIOS raid being FKN WORTHLESS, anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks for any help....
Garrison

Solution
G
Well, I guess I found my issue. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives must be for CRAP. I got a set of 7200.12 drives put em in, built the mirror, restored from backup and problem gone. Can pull a drive and it rebuilds to spare no problem.

frank_41

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Yeah the intel stuff and/or on board raid is FCKing crap.
I have a Raid 10 defined on Asus P577D and always (~14days) a different drive gets degraded.
Sometimes the whole array gets corrupted.

G

Well, I guess I found my issue. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives must be for CRAP. I got a set of 7200.12 drives put em in, built the mirror, restored from backup and problem gone. Can pull a drive and it rebuilds to spare no problem.

Solution