Intel May Have Leaked New MacBook Pro Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
more than likely a mac book .. i dont think they would make that a mac book pro the form factor has limitations because of processor heat .. trust me .. those things cook your lap.. hey dont they still use aluminum as a heat disapater ? lol in most electronics next best thing to copper.. any way they get to hot to touch some times.. especially where the graphic card and processor sit

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]more than likely a mac book .. i dont think they would make that a mac book pro the form factor has limitations because of processor heat .. trust me .. those things cook your lap.. hey dont they still use aluminum as a heat disapater ? lol in most electronics next best thing to copper.. any way they get to hot to touch some times.. especially where the graphic card and processor sit[/citation]

In most computers (not sure on laptops) the best metal is copper piping and aluminum heat fins. Copper is good at dispersing heat while Aluminum is good for holding it.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]OH MY GOD... IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A LAPTOP!!!no seriously, who cares... its black, it looks like a laptop, anything special about that?[/citation]Many people would be interested in leaked MBP designs, especially if it looks like an all-black chassis will be an option.

That patch of glare is an IR sensor?

[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]In most computers (not sure on laptops) the best metal is copper piping and aluminum heat fins. Copper is good at dispersing heat while Aluminum is good for holding it.[/citation]
May be more accurate to say copper is fast at absorbing heat and aluminum is good at dissipation(well good for how light it is too.)

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I really doubt the new MacBook Pro would be black. They've been silver for a pretty long time now, and Apple has a tendency to stick with things that work.

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Judging from the fact that the window controls are on the upper left side and then strange resemblance to iMovie in the bottom right....I think it is safe to daynit is an apple.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Errr, no. A material only has one rating...thermal conductivity (there's no holding vs transferring). It's either good at transferring thermal energy or it isn't. Copper is the best, unless you want to pay for silver, and aluminum is a bit more than half as good as copper. (Fun fact, gold is worse than copper but better than aluminum at heat transfer). Heatsink manufacturers can "cheat" though to save cost and use copper bases with aluminum fins, because at the point of the fins you have a lot of surface area and it's the air that's the limiting factor of heat transfer. However, you also get a minor choke point at the copper base -> aluminum fin interface. Thus, an all copper heatsink is best if you can afford it.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Apple seems to have a lot of "accidental" leaks the last couple years. Makes one wonder just how much of an "accident" these leaks really are and how much of them are Apple taking advantage of the blogosphere for cheaper advertising.

G

i guess this is why apple maybe looking into AMD, Intel just cant keep it to themselves

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Errr, no. A material only has one rating...thermal conductivity (there's no holding vs transferring). It's either good at transferring thermal energy or it isn't. Copper is the best, unless you want to pay for silver, and aluminum is a bit more than half as good as copper. (Fun fact, gold is worse than copper but better than aluminum at heat transfer). Heatsink manufacturers can "cheat" though to save cost and use copper bases with aluminum fins, because at the point of the fins you have a lot of surface area and it's the air that's the limiting factor of heat transfer. However, you also get a minor choke point at the copper base -> aluminum fin interface. Thus, an all copper heatsink is best if you can afford it.[/citation]

This is correct, but I would like to add that copper weighs more than aluminum. Even the most expensive heat sinks are likely to use aluminum fins in order to cut down on the weight.

On a desktop motherboard, heavy components put strain on the PCB, and in a laptop you would have to lug all the extra weight around. Using a selection of different metals is just good design.

As for the article, my experience with Macbook Pros is that they run dangerously hot. Forcing Macbook Pro hardware into a Macbook Air-style body is only going to make matters worse unless they make serious compromises in the performance of the hardware, which would weaken the Pro's position as a high-end laptop.

It's a moot point as far as I'm concerned, though. Any laptop Apple releases is going to be too expensive for what it does.

G

I think you could argue the laptop in the ad is a computer generated image created by an Intel staffer for the purpose of that ad.

In fact arguing anything else seems quite silly.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
If Apple makes a laptop that thin for high-end users, prepare for a hot or slow computer. They couldn't put more than maybe a 35w processor in there at the most, maybe just 25w, and then a puny co-processor (video card)

Status
Not open for further replies.