Intel MB 12V problem

Andredesz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I have searched the archives but can't find a solution to this problem I'm having. I built my first computer recently, I used an Intel 945GNTLR MB, and an Ultra X Connect power supply. I mention this because the problem I'm having relates, I believe, to those two components. See, the computer worked fine for about a month, the only issue I had was that the power button on the acrylic case I used sometimes stuck in, but if you jiggled it a bit it would pop back out before it caused the system to turn off. I think my daughter may have turned it off this way when I wasn't around however, with the button stuck in.

So, last week when I turned the system on the fans didn't spin up. It wouldn't start at all. But it was getting power. So I disconnected parts one by one to troubleshoot. The system starts, like the CPU fan does start up when only the biggest MB power cord and and hard drive connections are in. But when I connect the 12V power cord to the motherboard, thats when I get the problem, that's when the fans stop working. I'm afraid my MB may be fried, or maybe just the cord? Does this sound familiar at all to anyone? Sorry for the long post, I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Lost in California,
Carol A
jandredesz@aol.com

Thank you so much!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I think you're right - it's either the mobo or PSU. I'd lean towards the PSU but that's because I blame everything on the PSU :lol: (ok, not really, but usually).

I doubt the button being stuck caused this.

Is there any possibility of trying the PSU on a different mobo or that mobo on a different PSU? That would be the next thing to do to narrow it down. Otherwise I'd say buy a new PSU and see if that fixes it. If not, return the PSU and you know its the mobo.

Mike.

Andredesz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Yes, thank you for replying. I was thinking about getting a new PSU. I wonder if there was a jumper I was supposed to set on the board to accomodate the power supply. It is a fancy gaming one. But the documentation that came with my motherboard was basically illustrations, and I did my best. It did work for a while however. I wonder if it might just be the cord.

I plan to do just what you suggest. I pray its not the actual CPU, because I don't want to have to invest in another. I'll write again to document what worked. :)
Carol

Andredesz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Hello,

So, I took that trip to Fry's Electronics, and bought a new motherboard (ASUS P5LD2-VM-UAYZ mATX LGA775 Intel 945G), and a nice Antec P150 Quiet PC case with a NEO 430W HE power supply. I kept the processor, which is a Intel Pentium 4 640 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor, hoping that it was still okay. It was a bit of an investment for me.

The system boots up, and it looks like in BIOS that it recognizes all the components. In BIOS the keyboard and mouse work, but when the Windows XP welcome screen comes up, the mouse and keyboard don't work anymore. So I tried to run the driver CD that came with the motherboard, and it reads it for a moment, then the computer restarts. Same thing when I try to reinstall XP with a CD. This happens with both optical drives.

I've tried changing the boot order, but it always restarts after it recognizes the CD. It's strange because it seems to read the disk for a moment, but then stops and restarts. The optical drives are connected to the mobo with an IDE cable, one a master and one a slave, I think the jumpers are set correctly. Might that be it?

Also, I notice that though the hard drives are connected with SATA cables, that they still appear as master and slave devices in BIOS. That may be unrelated. Another thing I should mention is that one of the fans that came with the case has a female 4 pin power connector that I couldn't attach to the power supply because it only has 12v slots and I can't find a connector cable with those two connectors. However, the fan does not attach to the motherboard, only the power supply, so i don't think that's why.

It might be the CPU, I think you might know if this sounds like a processor problem, the CD drives causing the system to restart problem I mean. Or maybe it's something simple. Can you help me?

Thank you so much,
Carol Andredesz
jandredesz@aol.com

TRENDING THREADS