Intel Merging Four Divisions Into One Mobile Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I will be interested to see their efforts, but unless they can offer a significant advantage over the established ARM architecture the only way they will prosper will be to bribe companies to use their products making exclusive deals and selling products at a loads to undermine the opposition, mmmmm sounds familiar.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
how does intel expect to beat ARM in tablets, ARM stuff use a couple of million transistors but x86 use hundreds of millions of transistors unless intel uses a new architecture they can't win, tablets don't need all the power of the x86 so ARM would be enough

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This is all ignorant business fool ranting that Intel needs to be in the tablet space. "ohhh, smart phones, ohh tablets" The processors of which generate little profit. Smart phones are heavily discounted and rarely sell for retail. Why would Intel NEED to incoroporate a product with slim margins into the mix. Tablets = Wii .. Everyone will have one, no one will really USE them. Especially not a 4 core ARM setup with blah blah blah. It plays videos and games. For a couple hours. It's a kids toy for adults. Whooo, idiot Wall Street guy.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]This is all ignorant business fool ranting that Intel needs to be in the tablet space. "ohhh, smart phones, ohh tablets" The processors of which generate little profit. Smart phones are heavily discounted and rarely sell for retail. Why would Intel NEED to incoroporate a product with slim margins into the mix. Tablets = Wii .. Everyone will have one, no one will really USE them. Especially not a 4 core ARM setup with blah blah blah. It plays videos and games. For a couple hours. It's a kids toy for adults. Whooo, idiot Wall Street guy.[/citation]
I'm not positive, but I believe the margins for mobile hardware aren't that bad. Its the cell carriers that are taking the bite in handset profits hoping to get new customers on large monthly plans.

As for wanting to be in tablets, I still think the current tablet craze is going to die down as they just aren't that useful.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]This is all ignorant business fool ranting that Intel needs to be in the tablet space. "ohhh, smart phones, ohh tablets" The processors of which generate little profit. Smart phones are heavily discounted and rarely sell for retail. Why would Intel NEED to incoroporate a product with slim margins into the mix. Tablets = Wii .. Everyone will have one, no one will really USE them. Especially not a 4 core ARM setup with blah blah blah. It plays videos and games. For a couple hours. It's a kids toy for adults. Whooo, idiot Wall Street guy.[/citation]

smart phones sell for 200 but cost 600 (made up numbers) but the phone companies sell them cheaper because you are tied to a contract and you give them up to 3500$ (numbers from a while back) over a 2 year period of time.

and if intel enters the market, and is stressful, they could bring there chip to more than just smartphone, sure the margins arent that high, but damnit you got volume to make up for that, and the tech inside will have a trickle down effect on the higher end processors too.

than you have arm going into server market where its less about initial cost, and more about can it get the job done and for how much power.

intel should fear arm, because they are growing faster than intel is, and could easily take over the low-mid cheapo computers, where the volume is.

tell me, for an office application, do you need a cpu more powerfull than your phone? do you need a 70-80 watt cpu over a 3 watt?

answer is no

Status
Not open for further replies.