Intel-Micron 3D XPoint At Xroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Is there any danger of you guys ever fixing how viewers enlarge pictures on your site?

Seriously I don't know how many times I've commented on this issue but it seems to fall on deaf ears and given this is meant to be one of the larger tech site it's even more absurd.

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Very well written piece.

Seems like it could be positioned as part of the purely platform as a future proofing connector.

While I don't think we will see true consumer products until 2018 at the earliest, are we looking at the main disruptive tech of the 10nm platform, or later?

The pressure coming from other market segments might give Intel a reason to get this out quickly.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
The most important number is missing : Expected price per GB. I mean, they must have this number roughly already, or else they wouldn't go public with such big announcements

PaulyAlcorn

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
The most important number is missing : Expected price per GB. I mean, they must have this number roughly already, or else they wouldn't go public with such big announcements
I agree, it is the most important number! IMFT is merely saying that it will be between the price of NAND and DRAM, which gives them plenty of wiggle room - and isn't specific at all.

Eggz

Distinguished
I think this is going to be the kind of storage tech upgrade that will have a perceived impact akin to that of the HDD --> SSD tech upgrade - except better. The capacity decrease we felt when switching to SSDs was much more dramatic than that stated in the materials for Xpoint. I really hope it comes to market soon, but this time with a more attractive set of purchase options than early SSDs did.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I thought the trend of putting a capital X in a product title in hopes of catching the attention of the hipster crowd died away at the turn of the millennium. Will this product be compatible with XP running on Xtreme Xaggerated Xenthusuiast hardware?

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
10X denser M.2 that's also 1000X faster? My dreams are coming true!
its 10x denser than dram, not nand, nand is also 10x denser than dram. i wouldnt expect affordable ssds with 3d Xpoint anytime soon. maybe cheaper but abit slower ram?

Just right-click on the image and select "open image in new tab" to see it in full.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
looks like high speed storage is about to get a lot cheaper with xpoint if it can hold a lot more capacity than DRAM. might end of being the final nail in the coffin for HDD.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
looks like high speed storage is about to get a lot cheaper with xpoint if it can hold a lot more capacity than DRAM. might end of being the final nail in the coffin for HDD.
I think you are right but an added big nail in the coffin for HDD will be these massive wafer capacities all these nand manufacturers are adding. Looks like at least 10x the current production capacity in 2 years. If the ssd price gets anywhere near say goodbye to HDD for 99% of applications.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
10X denser M.2 that's also 1000X faster? My dreams are coming true!
its 10x denser than dram, not nand, nand is also 10x denser than dram. i wouldnt expect affordable ssds with 3d Xpoint anytime soon. maybe cheaper but abit slower ram?

Well that was a confusing infographic. I'd still like to see some real world numbers on this, it'll be exciting to see some prototypes in action and what they're capable of.

Eggz

Distinguished

You were right, though, about Xpoint being 1,000x more responsive than NAND! That's an insane figure. If the price for Xpoint is anywhere in the same market as NAND, it's basically going to phase out NAND entirely, assuming the transfer rate and other metrics don't fall significantly for Xpoint compared to NAND.

This Intel video's actually really good
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgk4U4qVpNY"][/video]

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Looks like it uses Minecraft technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.