Intel, Micron Officially Part Ways on 3D XPoint Memory Tech

This has been known for a while. However the only thing not known was the possibility of Micron not even selling 3DXpointe wafers to Intel anymore.

Its a new idea and will take time to adopt. If it ever gets wider adoption it could easily drop in price.

The only thing I want to see out of this is Optane memory. I thing 4 512GB DIMMs would be more than enough for a system.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
They need to focus on what's important for the nv-ram, low latency, random 4k performance and endurance.

For consumer 100-500GB with PB+ endurance. So it can be used for OS, cache, virtual ram without remorse.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
I bought an Intel Optane 905 and looking forward to using it. It was expensive, but at nearly half a Terabyte it will be sufficient to serve as my OS/system disk for years to come, and I won't have to worry about endurance.

My understanding from research is that we don't see allot of the full potential benefits from Optane and other newer, faster NVMe type drives because Operating Systems aren't currently designed to take advantage of them (even with updated drivers), and in many ways their storage interfaces and software haven't evolved from the days of mechanical platters.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
@MLEE 2500: Don't expect much difference for OS/Program drive, the 480gb 900P i got only excels when i'm doing zillion sub-ops db queries. As os/program drive it won't even start to flex its wings, shaved off perhaps a sec of boot time when clocking it vs the 970 pro. If endurance is a factor its a good pick but dont expect much in the performance department unless you really pound the drive really hard.

NVMe was actually design wholly for SSDs and M.2/PCIe SSDs especially. However you are somewhat correct. The biggest advantage to Intels 900 series SSDs is how they work. They don't suffer from a lot of downsides others do in mixed workloads so the experience is more consistent and smooth.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I suspect as much. The irony will be that while at work I do a thousand things which would benefit from Optane but don't have it available, while my home PC usage won't even notice having it over an EVO. But the 905p sticker price really wasn't that bad relative to how long it will last me (several years most likely).

If I really want to unleash it I could install it as the ZFS Zil device on my FreeNAS box, I suppose. Like I need faster NAS at home for anything.

TRENDING THREADS