Intel, Micron Team Up for 128Gb NAND for Future SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Lower prices. The best news yet from ssds. Don't get me wrong I've been buying them and I love them. But the cost per gb hurts.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]"Consumers should expect to see higher capacities and lower prices next year"so... .50 cents per GB SSD's?[/citation]

Probably, but its gonna have to be on a black Friday/cyber Monday sale.

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I'm planning on building a new PC in about a year and half hopefully this kind of stuff will make SSD's really cheap by that time because I am definitely going to put one in my new build

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ill believe cheaper prices when i see them, and no i dont consider a 1-10 cent lower price cheaper, i would consider it a joke.[/citation]+1

hannibal

Distinguished
10-20% per year per GB... Don't hold your breath too long. Well they are going to be cheaper, but so slowly. But yeah you are right we sill see older generation SSD near 50 cents, maybe not in the next year, but maybe the next after that.
In anyway, my next build will have SSD boot... how big remains to seen. It is so much faster than normar HD, now it's just the capasity.

Zeknichov

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Until prices hit $0.50 I consider them too expensive. I need about 200gb to run all my programs including OS and I would like to pay ~$100. That's the sweet spot.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zeknichov[/nom]Until prices hit $0.50 I consider them too expensive. I need about 200gb to run all my programs including OS and I would like to pay ~$100. That's the sweet spot.[/citation]
i considered them to expensive to, till my hdd got accessed by a program so hard that it went from a 120mb read to a sub 1mb read, and every thing became far to unresponsive. hell that alone made me go ssd, than i started to put together exactly what i asked of my computer, and realized that much of the slowness came from a heavy load.

i found an 120gb intel drive for 1$ a gb, and jumped on it, its a cristmas present though, so ill have to wait a bit to get my hands on it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]10-20% per year per GB... Don't hold your breath too long. Well they are going to be cheaper, but so slowly. But yeah you are right we sill see older generation SSD near 50 cents, maybe not in the next year, but maybe the next after that.In anyway, my next build will have SSD boot... how big remains to seen. It is so much faster than normar HD, now it's just the capasity.[/citation]
spot.[/citation]
A "slow" SSD will always run around the fastest HDDs in circles, unless if there are mainstream 60,000+ HDDs.

A "slow" 128 GB SSD will also outdo a HDD and "fast" 64 GB SSD when it comes to reading/writing 128 GB of files, especially if they're small files.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, im doing this math off of a intel 510 120gb
it comes in at about 2.3$ per gb
i also believe they are on a 25nm process

assuming a silicon wafer costs 50k to produce on its own, and you get about 16gb per chip, 1 wafer 21,739gb

and lets also assume that 10nm is the lowest you can go, just to make the math easier.

moving down to a 10nm process from 25nm would yeild 5.25 as many chips, and if lets say 5nm were possible, you would get about 24 times as many chips,

now lets go best case scenario here.
10nm preice per gb would be .44 cents a gb
and at 5nm, price per gb would be .9

these processes are a good 5-10 years out minimum, unless extreme demand for ssds kicks in, but currently hdds, pre flood, were 3.5 cents per gb, and takeing floods out of the equation, that number is only going down.

if i knew the size of a 16gb chip, i could figure out about how much of a premium ssds have, and see how much they could cut, but im doubting anyone has that information.

Solariis

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Prices are already at $1/Gb as of April 2012 on many sales. I guarantee you will see $.50/GB within the year 2012, but most likely they will be older or slower models and on sale. I can certainly see 128GB Sata III models on black friday for around $65 by this Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.