Intel, Microsoft, 95 Other Tech Companies Sign Brief Challenging Immigration Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
"It kind of sounds to me like they don't care about the people so much as they're worried about their profit margins."

An argument that it hurts business is stronger to someone claiming to want to "make Murcia great again". It's pretty obvious Trump doesn't care about the people so you have to appeal to him on a different and more practical angle. It can't be about feelings and basic human decency...

Problems in a law, vs. problems in how that law is implemented, are two different things. Since this article deals with the latter (at least such is my hope), I don't believe this is tech news, even if it is tech companies that are complaining about the way a long-standing law was implemented.
Although some leeway is given to news articles where comments are relevant, this looks like it could too easily descend into GRAPES territory.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I used the 'block element' on my add blocker to specifically target the doom video and block it. Did that a few days ago and the video hasn't shown up since. I mean, doom is okay, but that video is more intrusive than most adds. Really annoying. If it didn't auto play I might be able to ignore it but seriously.

lilchina

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
uhh you have people coming from these countries hmmm? there are only 7 on this temp ban and it's affecting your company I calll BS!!!!

Apparently, it caught up some people who had already been vetted (e.g. existing employees). The President's ability to [temporarily] ban people from hotspots, however, is based on a law that's been on the books for quite some time, used by at least a handful of recent Presidents going at least as far back as Carter, when they were concerned about people from certain areas being a potential security risk. It is not based on race or religion, but point of origin.

lilchina

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Libya, Sudan, Yemen, Iraq, Iran, Syria Somalia. Really do you have factories there? Software coders If so where did they learn to code? I could understand if India or Pakistan, maybe Singapore since many coders and plants are there but these 7 countries. BS. BS BS BS

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

We're being extremely careful to avoid GRAPES.

Look, a ton of tech companies, including some important ones that we regularly cover, are directly challenging an executive order written by the President. Simply, we feel that is newsworthy.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Many of the tech employees affected by the ban are engineers. High level engineers at that. If America does not welcome these engineers then other countries, such as China and Russia, will be more than happy to accept them. This puts America at a competitive disadvantage at both the economic and security levels. Better tech means better security and if you're trying to make America safer, this seems bans seems misguided.

The comment about the seven being "Muslim-majority" could have been omitted, since there are many more Muslim-majority countries (e.g. Indonesia, a source of tech workers) not affected. I would like to have seen the seven identified as "potential sources of terrorists," which is a legitimate reason why Presidents from Carter to 0bama have instituted such bans.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The tech companies are mainly upset about Trumps stance on doubling the minimum pay for foreign workers. That would do them in as they would be now paying more for a foreign worker than a citizen with similar qualifications. My wife is an engineer who started her career in Cupertino. I've lived within 70 miles of the silicon valley and worked in IT within the valley for the majority of my life. I have neighbors who get paid a pittance wage but they take it for the chance to be here. So yes, for H1B visa holders this will suck for them, but it's not the main concern of these companies.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I call BS as well on this. I also call BS on the way Mass Media is covering this. Like others have said the 7 countries covered in the ban pretty much have nothing to do with tech so why would these companies be crying other than trying to make themselves look like heroes for the little guy but are actually only concerned about that big fat bank account. Problem is unless Trump puts bans on the countries these companies get their tech workers from they are just trolling to make waves on matters that have nothing to do with them. BY the way whats wrong with actually hiring American workers & tech people. If you care about your country so much then hire from inside the border oh yea that's right then you would have to pay them a bigger wage. That's what this all comes down to for them is money nothing else as they are afraid they may have to hire American born workers and tech people that cost them more to pay.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there all, just chiming in to clarify, since there may be some confusion.

Editorial is not constrained by the No GRAPES policy. That would be really incredibly dumb to limit what our journalists can and cannot investigate and cover - particularly as those subjects may relate to pressing news concerning technology and the overlap with those GRAPES categories. Editorial and news comments threads initiated by the editorial team may discuss GRAPES subjects as previously laid out expressly in the No GRAPES policy itself (with a very clear call-out on this).

As with all threads, civility is compulsory, and the discussion must remain germane to the subject matter. No ad hominem attacks will be tolerated, and try to reference Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement in making your points.

Thanks!

-JP

In there lies the crux of a long running problem:

All these businesses CLAIM the United States doesn't have, and cannot deliver the talent levels they desire... yet they can find them overseas (with the correlation of these people will work for less than Americans after the same positions.) This also ignores a trend that was uncovered years ago (and more than likely still going on) where H-1B Visa holders were getting shafted in pay. (i.e. Corporate claimed living and working someplace with a fairly low cost of living (i.e. Iowa,) thus lower pay, yet said h-1b holding employee was actually working and living in places like L.A. and N.Y.C.... h-1b Visa holders can't complain because to stay, they need to be employed... and they want to be employed.) It ignores lawyers instructing corporate HR on how to word/phrase employment ads so no American would either qualify or be in their right mind to apply for... and if they do, how to stay legal while screening them out.) Yet, it seems these businesses will do nothing to help make American workers "qualified" for the positions they offer. These corporations are afraid: Afraid that the ban may expand and cut off their cheap nearly-slavery workforce. And... if they're not afraid, and maybe if they are... they are practicing (party) politics.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Yep, and look what Disney did a couple of years ago. Laid off their American tech workers and replaced them with foreign workers on H-1B visas and had the outgoing American workers actually train their replacements.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

mellis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
How are these 7 countries affecteing technology and business? BS! What about the the technology companies that support Trump, such as Oricale. No politics please. I am so tired of it.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Because tech news doesn't exist in isolation from the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.