Intel motherboard for gaming vs others.. why intel mobo loses?

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

Trying to make $1000 gaming system with i5..
Various recommendations I got include gigabyte asrock and asus for motherboards

I searched for 4th gen intel origial motherboards like say Intel DH87R 4th gen .. but now I am curious .. why are intel mobos not famous amongst gamers? .. with cost difference not being much of an issue?

thanks

Solution
Since you're not over clocking you dont need to worry about any Z series boards. Look at the H97 boards being put out. Its going to give you everything the H87 boards would, but should also give you the M.2 interface. If you decide to upgrade later to the next gen hard drive interface, you'll have it already built on and for a barely noticeable price jump. Also if you need wireless, the 9 series chipsets are putting WiFi AC on their boards, where the 8 series chips were generally Wifi N.

I personally prefer Asus, but they tend to be pricy. But I've had fantastic luck with them.
Asrock has quickly become a major player for a lot of gamers, and having personally built a few systems for friends and family on their gear, I'd recommend...

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014

Thanks so much .. also, could you please guide me with following mobos?

Building a $1000ish non OC intel based gaming system

I dont overclock..

I am picking up Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 4670 i5 4th Generation Processor, and I am confused regarding motherboards ..

I know i need H chipset because thats basically for OC type gamers.. so till now I have been suggested following options .. could you please opine on these please?

Asus H87-Pro
Gigabyte H87M-D3H Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97M-D3H
ASRock Z87 Pro4 .. i think this is OC chipset ..
Intel DH87RL 4th Generation

MSI .. totally stumped here

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/computer-components/motherboards/pr?p%5B%5D=facets.brand%255B%255D%3DMSI&p%5B%5D=sort%3Dpopularity&sid=6bo%2Cg0i%2Cy7i&q=intel+motherboard&ref=0e4fac8a-fd24-4671-8a4a-6a5842520880
[http://www.flipkart.com/intel-3-4-ghz-lga-1150-4670-i5-4th-generation-processor/p/itmdhsph8jby48yq?pid=PSRDHSPKBYYEGN8Y&otracker=from-search&srno=t_4&query=i5&ref=66860573-f1eb-4d28-ab17-c7f2a49e6416]

Which one would you go for .. and WHY !!! .. thanks !

Since you're not over clocking you dont need to worry about any Z series boards. Look at the H97 boards being put out. Its going to give you everything the H87 boards would, but should also give you the M.2 interface. If you decide to upgrade later to the next gen hard drive interface, you'll have it already built on and for a barely noticeable price jump. Also if you need wireless, the 9 series chipsets are putting WiFi AC on their boards, where the 8 series chips were generally Wifi N.

I personally prefer Asus, but they tend to be pricy. But I've had fantastic luck with them.
Asrock has quickly become a major player for a lot of gamers, and having personally built a few systems for friends and family on their gear, I'd recommend their boards.
Gigabyte is an old name in the game as is never a bad bet. But sometimes you'll find Asrock out doing them on price for features.
MSI... I've personally never played with. I've just heard more and more from people on the forums about build quality issues. That's just scuttlebutt tho, so take it with a grain of salt.

Solution

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014

detailed and to the point ! thank you sir !

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014

Thanks so much .. I compiled a list with following points in mind.

- Intel based budget gaming system for $1000
- No overclocking.. so not looking for specifically OC software
-Once done is done type system .. means later on I wont be putting in more gpus etc

http://www.flipkart.com/wishlist/wish-9166

My problem:-

Something seems wrong, I cant seem to figure it out .. plus its coming out to be under budget ..

Could you please go through the list and see if there is any problem and what can be improved.

With this list I have eaten up Rs 50643/- budget .. so still I have Rs 10,000 more.. but thats top limit.

I dont need extra parts like aftermkt cooler, or ssd drive etc .. I have the peripherals .. I only need the components from the list, nothing extra.

thanks so much for helping me.

Since this is a system you don't intend to upgrade later, I'd look at a few adjustments.

First thing I'd look at is your RAM, go for more than 8GB. While you may not need more than that right now, you likely will as time goes on. The board you have listed is able to go up to 32GB so you have a lot of head room there. Since this is a one time purchase, 16GB may not be out of line.

2nd, the CPU. The 4670 came out last year and Intel has done a refresh in that time. The 4690 is about the same price, and will give you a bit more power (and supposedly better cooling). It just came out in May so you may or may not have it as an option in your local.

3rd, you might want to consider a move to a larger capacity drive, or one with a longer warranty since we're going for longevity here. Western Digital Black series carry a 5 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty Seagate offers.

4th, the PSU. Antec isn't bad but Seasonic and XFX have some of the best builds for PSU's right now. Corsair comes in 3rd but only on some models. You can get a Seasonic 620watt for about RS1400 more.

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014

Thanks .. yesterday i myself red flagged this purchase because I found out the thermal compound issue with ivy-bridge as well as haswell cpus .. seems like intel used some useless thermal paste there which needs to be replaced etc .. there are vids out there on that .. I tried to google but intel officially has not yet given any explanation or there is no info regarding if this problem has been taken care of by intel in newer pieces. Any idea if intel solved this in 4690 ? I think slowly a few are trickling down in india .. ebay.in had some for around Rs. 19,000/- .. may be i will have to wait some.

Supposedly Intel got their act together with the new Devils Canyon refresh that happened this year. The Core i7-4790K and Core i5-4690K have a new thermal compound that's supposed to fix the issues they were running in to with the conduit between core and heatspreader. That's not to say the previous Haswell line is bad, its just not as good as the Devils Canyon CPU's for overclocking. They also added extra capacitors that, Intel says, provide more stable voltage regulation at higher frequencies. The compound in question is under the heatspreader (lid), so its not something you can alter without de-lidding the CPU. Thats not to say people haven't done that, but thats a pretty extreme enterprise to take on. If you're concerned about the heating issues you can wait till the i5-4690K comes out in you're area but if you're not going to overclock, it may be something you'd never notice anyway.

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014

Thanks a loads mate, thats in depth and pure details.. hehe looks like this forum has yet to discover you =)

Right now in few hours I am going to buy Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 4670 i5 4th Generation Processor because thats the best my budget can offer .. now when I pick up that box, what do I look for to make sure that its not from the bad thermal compound batch? Production date should be beyond what date?

The 4670 is going to be the generation from last year. No way around the thermal issue aside from going with the Devil Canyon model that launched last month, so nothing to really look for.

If you're really concerned about heating issues, look in to a good aftermarket cooler. Theres a ton out there so it comes down to your preference of performance or noise. The Intel stock heatsink/fan is decent if you're not over clocking but its meant for what Intel considered to be normal operating conditions and if you're in a very hot environment it may not do the trick. At the very least, pick up some thermal compound and whip the stuff off the stock heatsink (rubbing alcohol works, just let it dry). Artic Silver is the general go to but it has a 200 hour cure time, so take that in to consideration.

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014

Yes, after thinking about everything, I dropped the plans of buying previous cpus.. will go for Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.9 4 because price is not too different .. i dont overclock ,but heh, thats ok .. price is almost the same ! =D