News Intel Motherboard Lands With 32 SATA Ports For Farming Chia

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've been surprised at how cheap mining-focused motherboards are. GPU mining mobos sell for a fraction of the price of the GPUs themselves. Seems like the heart of the system should sell for so much more given the huge returns people are seeing in crypto.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Outside of farming chia, you could make one heck of a nas with that.
It would make more sense for most people to buy a couple server pulls LSI/Adaptec 16 port SAS HBA's off Ebay that would work in pretty much any old system you have lying around. Would cost about $100-150 for two plus the cost of the eight SAS->4 SATA splitter cables.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
It would make more sense for most people to buy a couple server pulls LSI/Adaptec 16 port SAS HBA's off Ebay that would work in pretty much any old system you have lying around. Would cost about $100-150 for two plus the cost of the eight SAS->4 SATA splitter cables.

I use a combo of SATA and eSATA with enclosures to host 32TB of storage on my NAS, my Desktop as all SATA 32TB as well....so I would agree with you. I am just saying though, it be fun to tinker with it as a NAS all the same.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I did the other day with a 16TB. Will be here tomorrow.

It will replace an 8TB which will replace a 2TB.
Bumping overall space from 50TB to 64TB.

We have similar storage needs it sounds like though I spilt my 64TB as two 32TB storage pools in two different machines for duplication/isolation purposes. Those larger drives make life much easier. I remember what it was like having that much storage with only 2TB and 4TB drives. I had 12ish drives I think at one point for just one 32TB pool. Now I am down to 4 drives per machine max or so (mix of 8TB and 12TB drives now).

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
So when every single PC part is a target for mining, I guess smartphones and tablets worth $1 to $2000 will be out of stock shutting down every mobile store for years to come. Then start ripping out every piece of electronics from TVs stereos microwaves capable of mining and last but not least trains planes and automobile electronics sending everyone else back to the stone age.

May 3, 2021
I don't understand, it will take a long time to fill the SATA HDD ports with only 1 NVMe, the PCIe use for Adapter M.2?

Or using SATA SSD to plot is also an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.