intel multiplier unlocked?

abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one can
change the
multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775, 3.4ghz
and higher. Is this just a lie to increase sales?
I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to do
this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.

Could you indicate the location of the aBit claim?

Phil Weldon

"hkl" <hjk@lkl.net> wrote in message
> abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one can
> change the
> multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775, 3.4ghz
> and higher. Is this just a lie to increase sales?
> I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to do
> this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

hkl wrote:
> abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one can
> change the
> multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775, 3.4ghz
> and higher. Is this just a lie to increase sales?
> I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to do
> this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.

This is correct, I think that news was first released in Yanuary on all
big hardware sites. It's not just Abit either, Gigabyte,ASUS and a few
others can also do this on LGA 775 P4 3.4 Ghz and higher (560 and higher
I think.)

Again, could you provide a specific location on the web for this
information?

Phil Weldon

"Glitch" <Glitch_120@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hkl wrote:
>> abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one can
>> change the
>> multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775, 3.4ghz
>> and higher. Is this just a lie to increase sales?
>> I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to do
>> this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.
>>

> This is correct, I think that news was first released in Yanuary on all
> big hardware sites. It's not just Abit either, Gigabyte,ASUS and a few
> others can also do this on LGA 775 P4 3.4 Ghz and higher (560 and higher I
> think.)

"hkl" <hjk@lkl.net> wrote in message
> abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one
> can change the multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775,
> 3.4ghz and higher.

This is true. For what it's worth it's not just Abit. Think you'llf ind
that most top line Intel boards now offer a variation on this feature.

> Is this just a lie to increase sales?

Of course not. If it was someone would have sued them for false advertising,
wouldn't they?

> I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to
> do this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.

Abit's claim is correct. However, the subject like of your post is
incorrect. These motherboards do not *unlock* the multiplier on the CPU's in
question. These (FMB2/04B) processors have an additional (usually 14x)
multiplier on them which is normally only automatically invoked by FMB1/04A
motherboards that don't support the chip's full speed. All the boards in
question do is enable manual access to the additional multiplier(s),
allowing you to significantly increase the FSB for the same overall core
speed.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

> Abit's claim is correct. However, the subject like of your post is
> incorrect. These motherboards do not *unlock* the multiplier on the
> CPU's in
> question. These (FMB2/04B) processors have an additional (usually 14x)
> multiplier on them which is normally only automatically invoked by FMB1/04A
> motherboards that don't support the chip's full speed. All the boards in
> question do is enable manual access to the additional multiplier(s),
> allowing you to significantly increase the FSB for the same overall core
> speed.

LOL...just as I figured, Abit isn't exactly lying outright,
they are deceiving their customers with half-truth.

Abit's claim on their site implies that one can unlock the
multiplier so that the user can set it to whatever value is desired
(10,11,12,13,14, etc.). The truth is
quite different: one can choose any multiplier you want,
as long as it's 14. merely having the choice between two values,
(17 and 14) is pretty much worthless.
As I suspected, an unlocked CPU is too good
to be true.

thanks for clearing this up.

Jeff

Found a reference. Evidently the 'unlock' feature allows the multiplier to
be LOWER one or two steps, evidently part of the Intel thermal guideline
solution. Since this LOWERS the CPU speed, it would require a HIGHER FSB
speed. So the result would seem to be - no much. See
http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040916/asus_overclocking-06.html
..

Phil Weldon

"hkl" <hjk@lkl.net> wrote in message
> abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one can
> change the
> multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775, 3.4ghz
> and higher. Is this just a lie to increase sales?
> I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to do
> this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.

Intel has decided NOT to lock the multipler on some of the new high end dual
core chips. Can't remember where I read it. But it was probanly hardocp.com
or a link from there.

Phil Weldon wrote:
> Found a reference. Evidently the 'unlock' feature allows the multiplier to
> be LOWER one or two steps, evidently part of the Intel thermal guideline
> solution. Since this LOWERS the CPU speed, it would require a HIGHER FSB
> speed. So the result would seem to be - no much. See
> http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040916/asus_overclocking-06.html

This thread reminds me of the hype frequently found in eBay listings for
Intel Engineering Samples - "Unlocked Multiplier", "Overclocker's Dream"
etc. etc.

I've played with quite a few Intel ES chips over the years, all
supported multipliers less than or equal to the nominal CPU speed, none
would run at higher multipliers. They aren't unlocked, they merely
support several multiplier values. Overclocking still requires
increasing FSB.

P2B

> "hkl" <hjk@lkl.net> wrote in message
>
>>abit claims that on some of their 915/925 mobos (e.g. AA8, AG8), one can
>>change the
>>multiplier of some specific p4s (namely, socket 775, 3.4ghz
>>and higher. Is this just a lie to increase sales?
>>I would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried to do
>>this with qualifying mobo/cpu combinations.

Reminds me of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" B^)

Phil Weldon