Intel Nehalem To Play Nice With Enthusiast Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

... whats with the controllers... does ddr3 require 3 sticks for 3 channel... if so how can there be a dual channel controller... if not... why would there be a tri channel controller... i'm confused

Intel is uping the channels on their memory platforms to offer higher memory bandwidth. The low to mid will have the normal dual channel and the high to extreme will have tripple channel and probably have 6 memory slots.

From what I have read Bloomfeild will be high to extreme which would be like the Intel E8xxx and Q6/Q9xxx series to the EE models not just the EE models.

So to respond to the first post yes to get triple channel you would need at least 3 sticks of RAM which I am sure Corsair and such will make packs for those as well as packs of 6 for the max amount you can fit on those mobos, maybe bigger than 8GB say 12GB?

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
The triple-channel controller is a feature of the Bloomfield processor, so that WILL require 3 sticks(for obvious reasons).
And of course the Lynnfield will support just dual-channel so it will require only 2 sticks for the added performance. Not sure how this has confused you.
o_O

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Wooo.... 12GB's of memory on ONE BOARD..... man, things are getting better all the time! I wonder how Crysis would do with that much memory, if it would have an effect on game speeds with the DDR3 memory and that much memory.

G

"...those rare 1600 GHz..." Yeah I'm sure the 1.6THz front side buses are fairly rare (though I'd expected them well done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts