Intel: No Linux for You, Clover Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Intel "We have this brand new chip! I know let's make sure it runs on the most expensive systems while at the same time locking out the market segment with greatest potential, Android!"

Really Intel? Really?

Okay, look, this sounds bad...but I've read several articles about this now and I still don't have a clear picture of exactly what the issue is. Is it that Linux will not work at all on these chips, or is it just a matter of the power-saving features not being available (at least, through official Intel support)?

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Guys, relax. It's like Linux users are greedy ba$tards that don't want to upgrade to i3 and keep blaming Intel and calling them greedy for not including Linux? What the.. Linux will run on future CPUs from Intel, just not particular Atoms, enough said. You want Intel on Linux - there is Intel on Linux. You get free OS - use the money saved to upgrade the CPU. How about that? Just saying..

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is akin to cutting off your own nose to spite your face. I would assume that Intel wants to keep some features of this new CPU family proprietary and thus why they refuse to open up to the Linux community.

Bad call for future progress IMHO.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Guys, relax. It's like Linux users are greedy ba$tards that don't want to upgrade to i3 and keep blaming Intel and calling them greedy for not including Linux? What the.. Linux will run on future CPUs from Intel, just not particular Atoms, enough said. You want Intel on Linux - there is Intel on Linux. You get free OS - use the money saved to upgrade the CPU. How about that? Just saying..[/citation]

When you do upgrade your smartphone or SoC tablet to an i3, please do let us know how you get on.

It's not a big deal for Intel to make a line of CPU specifically for MS if they're also making others that are still for Android and such. I don't see the problem here. They're basically making a chip that is optimized for MS and they don't want to bother writing drivers and such for other software platforms when they're already doing so with other CPU families.

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Apple did the same thing, why be surprised or even mad?[/citation]
lolwut?

Seriously, you're making a comparison between a) Apple custom-designing their own SOC and having it fabbed by someone else to b) a chip-making company--the largest in the world--working hand-in-hand with a software manufacturer--with the lion's share of the world-wide laptop/desktop operating system market--to enable a specific hardware feature on a specific piece of software. That's not exactly a direct analogy.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
So how much did Microsoft pay Intel to support windows 8 and not Linux. Hopefully AMD doesn't go the same rout, cause I find the windows 8 UI Ugly, and linux you get to choose the UI you want to use.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom]Seems like MS is afraid of people buying its tablets just to install Linux on them.[/citation] Yea Microsoft is afraid of Linux, cause their afraid once people see all the free software and customization available for Linux, Win8 will go straight down the drain dragging their app store with it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well Medfield supports Android (and is in a few android phones)...so maybe this just means that either there won't be any non-MS x86 tablets, or that there will be android support but no general linux support (no Ubuntu, for example).

G

I don't see what the big deal is. That chip is 'specifically' for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. They have another chip just like it for Android and plenty of other Atoms for your everyday Linux. What IS stupid is that MS doesn't even use this chip in their own line of hardware. They, instead, will use ARM just to prove that they are ARM compatible. They opted for i5 and a more feature filled tablet for their other system. Intel made a concession for nothing really. Acer, HP, Dell and others would have made a CloverTrail tablet even without the feature.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I was looking for a x86 chip to enter this market, so I can install easily Linux.
This anouncement is a slap in the face to Linux users. Thanks Intel!

Here's the big deal:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5888/acer-introduces-windows-8-tablets-with-docks-iconia-w510-w700

The W510 (and other devices like it; I just happened to remember the W510 model number) is the next generation version of a netbook. And it (and similar offerings from Asus, et al.) uses a Clover Trail processor. As far as I know, there are no plans to release a W510 equivalent that uses a processor optimized for Linux, rather than Windows 8.

So either you won't get to run Linux on the W510 (and other Clover Trail machines), or you will get to run it, but because of proprietary nonsense, you won't get the same kind of battery life out of it. Clover Trail looks to be dominating the low end of the market, the "cheap and small" devices that often find favor amongst Linux users because they're cheap, portable, and run just fine with a less-demanding OS. Only now, Intel is choosing to play favorites.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]blibba[/nom]When you do upgrade your smartphone or SoC tablet to an i3, please do let us know how you get on.[/citation]

When I do get my hands on tablet worth my while I will :) For now I haven't seen an affordable Windows based device from other than Acer with decent pen support. Will have to wait for Windows 8 and then we will see. Oh wait.. Linux does not interest me.

neblix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I think you guys are overreacting by a magnitude of 100.

This family of atoms is not supporting Linux. No where did it say "Intel processors are not supporting Linux anymore HERPDERP HUEHUE"

dissbelief

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Guys, relax. It's like Linux users are greedy ba$tards that don't want to upgrade to i3 and keep blaming Intel and calling them greedy for not including Linux? What the.. Linux will run on future CPUs from Intel, just not particular Atoms, enough said. You want Intel on Linux - there is Intel on Linux. You get free OS - use the money saved to upgrade the CPU. How about that? Just saying..[/citation]
Just because you can make an argument, it doesn't mean any it of has to be remotely true..... Think before you post.

[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]http://www.readwriteweb.com/hack/2 [...] e-woes.phpDo it again Linus, this time with Intel.[/citation]

As funny as it was, I don't think that Intel will respond even as positively as Nvidia did to something like that.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Does this mean WIntel is a couple again? Seems kind of arrogant and strange given all of the choices and what competition has to offer these days - but just maybe that's the answer right there :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.