[SOLVED] Intel Non K CPU's removing power limitations

Feb 9, 2021
Ok so, im planning to buy components for my next build, i have always wondered if a non k cpu could be nearly as good as their K version in stock settings, but then
1. i read that if a locked cpu is exceeding their TDP while in turbo mode it will go back to its base clock speed unlike the K version is that correct?

2. I recently read that intel 10th gen intel new pl system was so handy so manufacturers like asus, msi and asrock made their own "modifications" like asus having APE (asus perfomance enhancement) this way they remove power limitations for example i7 10700 tdp limitation of 65w, this modification changes that limit up to 210w making this cpu capable to maintain 4.5ghz at all cores 24/7 or msi goes up to 255w making this cpu to maintain 4.6ghz boost at all cores all the time (this is the max for this cpu since its max turbo boost before this modification was 4.6 on all cores or 4.8 on single core but it would unboost if exceeded the 65tdp prior tdp modifications) so i read somewhere that you could also modify this limitation manually so im curious to know if i buy an asus with APE function i wont be able to exceed their 210w limitation changing this manually?

3. I also read that prior 10th gen you also could modify manually the bios to remove the power limitations on locked cpus to maintain turbo 24/7 is that true?

4. If so, why this has been widely talked until 10th gen was released?

5. Was it harder to manually change that limit prior 10th gen or is same as now (talking about manually tuning tdp limitations)?

6. What happen if we put an 10700k into a locked board(b460) besides it not being capable of OC, would it also need to be tuned via bios to remove the 125tdp limitation or it would already be limitless like it happens on Z boards that it comes without power limits so it can reach its turbo mode 24/7?

7. If this remove power limitation was possible in older gens, then how did they know how many watts a non Z board could handle to the cpu? Apparently each model can handle a certain amount otherwise why asus APE system can handle only 210w and msi boards can handle up to 255w (talking about b460 series in both cases), maybe they kept increasing the wattage until system failed to boot?

8. If how many watts a board can handle to the cpu depends on the board model, then that means that in some cases the B boards could not give enough watts (225w+ for max turbo on all cores to K models)?

I need to know all this because 10700 base speed is so low, but then it brought out my curiosity to know if this was possible in older gens like 8th or 9th

Last edited:
Solution
10700 review explaining the TDP and PL2
10700k review to compare performance

1.If the tau (turbo time) is exceeded the CPUs will go back to the PL1 tdp, what clocks this represents depends on the workload, 3d rendering with avx uses way more power than playing a game for example so the two will have different clocks after the turbo time.

2.Just check that the mobo that you want allows to manually edit these settings and there won't be any difference.
10700 has a PL2 of 224 and that's the maximum it will do you can only change the tau to infinite so it always stays there instead of dropping back to PL1.

6.Not...
10700 review explaining the TDP and PL2
10700k review to compare performance

1.If the tau (turbo time) is exceeded the CPUs will go back to the PL1 tdp, what clocks this represents depends on the workload, 3d rendering with avx uses way more power than playing a game for example so the two will have different clocks after the turbo time.

2.Just check that the mobo that you want allows to manually edit these settings and there won't be any difference.
10700 has a PL2 of 224 and that's the maximum it will do you can only change the tau to infinite so it always stays there instead of dropping back to PL1.

6.Not all Z boards come without power limitations by default and not all locked boards come with power limitations by default.
You always have to check and change settings the way you like.

7. The intel guidelines were known for the 8th gen and any gen intel brought out.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo

Solution

TRENDING THREADS