News Intel Not Outsourcing 14nm Rocket Lake CPU Production to Samsung

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Intel would have to undertake the significant task of redesigning its processor to work with Samsung's process, which is also unlikely given that it isn't as performant as Intel's 14nm.
Um, if they port their design to a different process, why do you assume they'd use Samsung's 14 nm? It seems to me they'd go straight to Samsung's 7 nm.

Um, if they port their design to a different process, why do you assume they'd use Samsung's 14 nm? It seems to me they'd go straight to Samsung's 7 nm.

Because the article specifically talks about 14nm not 7nm.

I could never see Intel using anyone else process for their CPUs, manily because they have spent upwards of $10+ billion on FAB42. Typically Intels chipsets are a process behind their CPUs as well so once Intel moves to 10nm chipstes will probably go back to 14nm and once on 7 chipsets would go to 10nm.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Because the article specifically talks about 14nm not 7nm.
That was a quote of the article, so it was hopefully clear that my question was directed at the article's author.

In the old forum, most authors would create the forum thread, themselves, enabling me to reply to them. However, this thread was created by "admin", which I'm guessing isn't one of Paul Alcorn's aliases.