News Intel NUC 11 Extreme's Tiger Lake-U Roars At 4.4 GHz

More interested in the mainstream model rather than the extreme model, but if they manage to at least take the Tiger Lake-U processor and push that into the mainstream NUC 11, then it'll be a pretty interesting product. Also looking forward to AMD APU competitors in the NUC and NUC-like space in the next year or so.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
More interested in the mainstream model rather than the extreme model, but if they manage to at least take the Tiger Lake-U processor and push that into the mainstream NUC 11, then it'll be a pretty interesting product. Also looking forward to AMD APU competitors in the NUC and NUC-like space in the next year or so.
Agreed. I will be replacing several generations of NUCs (65 or so) with the NUC11. We are not running into a lack of computational power - our issues are video - some employees are struggling with dual 2560x1440 monitors, and others with dual 4Ks (my employees can choose their monitor config as well as keyboard and mice). So the Xe LP on the TGL will be a welcome upgrade. Would have preferred a SFP+ network option, but the 2.5Gb/s is still and upgrade.

With the high perf at 4.4GHz - seems like Intel has both the yields and the clocks worked out.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Different architecture. A 4.4 Ghz Tiger Lake should perform like a 5.1-5.3Ghz Whiskey Lake. In other words, quite a bit faster.
Also, the base clock of that model CPU is allegedly just 1.8 GHz, which is substantially lower than the claimed 2.3 GHz, for the upcoming model. Still, not bad for a 15W laptop chip.

Unless anyone knows differently, I presume the claimed "Max Turbo" frequency is at the 25W TDP-up setting.

I'm telecommuting on a 45W i7-6820HQ with a "Max Turbo" of just 3.6 GHz, although my base clocks are 2.7 GHz.

Truth be told, I sort of hate it, because the fans can get really loud when it approaches anything near that. And between the security software my employer has running on it plus whatever Win10 is doing, it just seems to happen at random. So, I've taken to configuring the plugged-in "Max CPU" power setting to just 85% or 90%.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Different architecture. A 4.4 Ghz Tiger Lake should perform like a 5.1-5.3Ghz Whiskey Lake. In other words, quite a bit faster.
Also, the base clock of that model CPU is allegedly just 1.8 GHz, which is substantially lower than the claimed 2.3 GHz, for the upcoming model. Still, not bad for a 15W laptop chip.

Unless anyone knows differently, I presume the claimed "Max Turbo" frequency is at the 25W TDP-up setting.

I'm telecommuting on a 45W i7-6820HQ with a "Max Turbo" of just 3.6 GHz, although my base clocks are 2.7 GHz.

Truth be told, I sort of hate it, because the fans can get really loud when it approaches anything near that. And between the security software my employer has running on it plus whatever Win10 is doing, it just seems to happen at random. So, I've taken to configuring the plugged-in "Max CPU" power setting to just 85% or 90%.

The APU listed here would only be in a semi DTR form factor - only question is will it be available in the standard NUC11 (~4.5"x4.5") or just the Extreme NUC. Still this is an engineering sample - but heading in the right direction - soon the design/clocks will be locked in and start to ship.

I am glad that I am retired and don't need to lug around an almost DTR system - just my 1065G7 Dell 13 2-in-1 - and even then I only put a couple hundred hours per year on it - wife uses hers alot more than I use mine.

Bring on the NUC11 Non Extreme, non 2.5" drive capable, 2.5Gb/s Ethernet (don't mind replacing my 1Gb/s non PoE switches - would rather just use SFP+ and use the fiber that goes to everyone's system, and flatten the network).. 3 Generations of NUCs will be finding new homes.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I am glad that I am retired and don't need to lug around an almost DTR system

FOUR posts earlier in this thread:
I will be replacing several generations of NUCs (65 or so) with the NUC11. We are not running into a lack of computational power - our issues are video - some employees are struggling with dual 2560x1440 monitors, and others with dual 4Ks (my employees can choose their monitor config as well as keyboard and mice). So the Xe LP on the TGL will be a welcome upgrade

Seriously chief, WTF?

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
FOUR posts earlier in this thread:

Seriously chief, WTF?

Not sure what was with the first part - I am retired - for ~20 years at age 28 or 29 when I sold my 2nd ISP. I reired from doing things I didn't want to to make a living - and didn't want to deal with investors anymore. I still put in 40+ hours per week among 3 ventures and various hobbies. The office described below is the main administration - C levels (CEO CFO COO) as well as accounting, HR, Benefits Admin, Legal, Fleet & Logistics. Certain functions (Accounting, HR, Legal, Benefits admin) are shared among all 3 businesses. All said and done over 1000 employees in total.

I use Intel NUCs and primarily Dell monitors.

I build a bracket, about 4.5" x 11" out of stainless steel. On both ends I drill out of the 100mm VESA bolt pattern, and put 2 90deg bends in it. I end gets sandwiched between the monitor and the stand - and the other is used to mount the NUC. I got a 14" DP cable and an 18" USB cable from Monoprice. DP and USB connect to monitor (has USB hub). I have a Y spliter for standard AC cables (like the ones that connect to your PC). 1 goes to monitor - other to the NUC PS. I replace the PS that comes with the NUC and source a better unit - but most importantly - it has a standard AC power in, and I have 12" DC barrel to barrel cord from PS to NUC and is rectilinear without convex sides. PS is mounted between the NUC and the monitor stand, and is held on with Velcro.

My employees can choose wired or wireless keyboards and can choose single or dual monitors.

So this forms basically an AiO - no cables, no overkill PC case, etc. Keeps things neat and tidy. The oldest NUCs have enough processing power to handle the workload (MS Word, Excel, Project, Outlook and Chrome) - it's the video that is lagging - on the older systems dual 2560x1440 is the absolute limit - and even on the newer ones dual 4K is a bit taxing. So replacing all 65 or 66 NUCs currently deployed with the NUC11 (Tiger Lake)- will get 512GB-1TB Samsung M.2 NVMe PCIe4 and whatever the fastest SODIMMs supported - probably going to 32GB due to memory being so cheap ATM (other systems were 8-16GB). The 2.5Gb/s Ethernet is an upgrade over the GbE. So from the wall there is 1 single AC cord + 1 single CAT6 cable going to the PC.

When we started to migrate people home due to Covid, the AiO came in very handy - no mess of cables, all they needed to do was plug in the UPS we supplied, plug in the PC, plug ijn the wall adapter for the Cisco IP Phones (no PoE at their home) and plug in the Palo Alto Networks endpoints - which were pre provisioned. The plug in the PC and the IP Phone and onto the Internet - nails up a VPN - couple of quick changes to Switchvox and people are back up and running. Kept my IT staff from having to run all over the place setting systems up - and most handled the job themselves.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I reired from doing things I didn't want to to make a living - and didn't want to deal with investors anymore. I still put in 40+ hours per week among 3 ventures and various hobbies.
It's the part about being retired while still running your own businesses that confuses people. To a lot of people, running a business doesn't count as being retired.

For what it's worth, I think it's good to have people running businesses who care more about the mission of the company than the quarterly results. I wish I worked for a place like that. Sometimes, I think the corporate culture of a place probably matters more to me than whatever thing it is we're actually building.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
It's the part about being retired while still running your own businesses that confuses people. To a lot of people, running a business doesn't count as being retired.

For what it's worth, I think it's good to have people running businesses who care more about the mission of the company than the quarterly results. I wish I worked for a place like that. Sometimes, I think the corporate culture of a place probably matters more to me than whatever thing it is we're actually building.
My definition of retire is not not doing nothing with my feet in the sand. more like not doing things I don't want to do, and when I find something I want to not having to deal with investors (I have a VERY good reason). I have to stay busy - i tried the sitting on my a$$ watching TV - got super old super quick.

My day to day interaction is whatever I want to do - my only set position is Owner - I can do as little or as much as I want. When it came time to build out the servers - I had 8 people in my IT staff - I spec'd, built and handed off when the time came - same with the NUC upgrades later this year - I will order, assemble and hand off. I enjoy that part - the stalling windows part does nothing for me. Generally not involved with the day to day minutia - micromanaging is not a management style.

The businesses are built with a conscious. I pay well above average (I have out of that ~1000 people 840 or so installers - typical pay for them would be in $15 to 19 /hr range - starting pay here is $22.50. Full Medical benefits (we provide a "silver" level plan and the employee can pay a bit more for gold - most do) Optical / Dental / Mental Health. Paid Maternal and Paternal leave, paid sick leave. Bonus plan that for last 2 years has averaged 3 months of pay - paid in 1st week in November. Right now, 90%+ are idled - if the construction site is not open, then we cannot work. So they are paid 40 hrs and no loss of benefits - and we have reserves specifically for this situation and can easily go a year. Revenues / my profit is secondary here. We had signed almost $330M in contracts to the end of the year (typically signed 4-6 mo in advance) - Contracts are still signed but neither we nor the prime contractor are to blame - so will be pushed back. Quite a few businesses like mine (labor heavy) have just issued pink slips - which privatizes their gains, and socializes their losses - you are going to be paying for their unemployment, their food bank usage, etc.

In the managerial / corporate side I have has ZERO churn. No one has left, no one has need to be fired. On the installer side, 16 or so terminations... and this one really perplexes me - had 4 people quit about a week ago... I have put NO restrictions on what people do - only be ready when called back. So these 4 geniuses are independently wealthy installers who don't need the ~900 per week...

Businesses too often are only concerned with only the bottom line - and forget that each of those payroll checks supports one person or a family - and those people are the ones making the deliverable that translates into revenues for the owners / shareholders. We Work to Live, not Live to Work.

Sorry - long winded - passionate about my businesses and people.

Reactions: bit_user