[SOLVED] Intel NUC and temporarily connecting 3.5” HDD

Jan 11, 2020
Hi everyone, I searched the forum (and other forums) already for the NUC supporting 3.5” HDD.
I am fully aware the HDD will not fit in the NUC case but since I only need to connect it temporarily I thought there might be a way without using USB.

for example, can I get a SATA cable and connect the NUC to a 3.5 HDD leaving the case open until I finish my “experiments” with the HDD?

My use case is - I have few old HDDs that I’d like to get the data out of and then securely wipe clean with hdparm. I think the SATA cable trick should work, will the NUC be also able to temporarily supply the power for this HDD or should I rather get external power for it while the NUC is connected via SATA for data?

thanks for your replies.

Solution
Hi everyone, I searched the forum (and other forums) already for the NUC supporting 3.5” HDD.
I am fully aware the HDD will not fit in the NUC case but since I only need to connect it temporarily I thought there might be a way without using USB.

for example, can I get a SATA cable and connect the NUC to a 3.5 HDD leaving the case open until I finish my “experiments” with the HDD?

My use case is - I have few old HDDs that I’d like to get the data out of and then securely wipe clean with hdparm. I think the SATA cable trick should work, will the NUC be also able to temporarily supply the power for this HDD or should I rather get external power for it while the NUC is connected via SATA for data?

thanks for your replies.
Beside...
Jan 11, 2020
Thanks for your reply. As I said I don’t want to use any USB method as hdparm is not advisable to use with anything else than direct SATA connection

thanks for your replies.
Beside SATA cable, 3.5" drives need a 12v power supply.

Solution